Similar

The Dull One

In the end, L didn't go out with Chaekyung the next day after school. He researched for the front page news topic and was bursting with excitement to start, hence he asked Jaekyung to stay back and get the article done.

Jaekyung nodded, feeling not at all compelled to spend time with this guy.

They sat down at one of the wooden tables around the school, choosing a more deserted spot so no one would judge them.

"So, have you researched on the topic?" Jaekyung asked casually, setting down her laptop.

"Yeah." L nodded. He pulled a few pieces of paper from his bag. "I researched some from the net. I don't know why there's even a need to write on this, actually. Of course relationships at high school level is okay, or many couples would have to break up now."

Jaekyung made a face. *Talking about yourself, I guess.*

She pulled out a similar stack of papers of her notes. "In fact, I agree with the thesis. High school students SHOULD NOT be involved in romantic relationships."

L's face contorted. "What? Why?"

Jaekyung huffed. "For one, our primary goal as a High School student is to get good results for the College Entrance Exams so that we can get into university. Why distract ourselves from the primary goal?"

"But," L interrupted. "People have their own freedom to love don't they? I mean, I'm sure many people can juggle love and studies together. And it doesn't necessarily mean you'll have bad grades if you date, it all depends on your own determination."

Jaekyung frowned. "Well yeah, but can you honestly say that all High School relationships are worth sacrificing your revision time for?" she questioned. "Because I doubt most people would really know what's love at this age."

"That's stupid!" L shot her down. "Love doesn't get any clearer or easier to understand with age. There are many couples out there that would last till they get married! Take Woohyun hyung and Yoomi for example, I'm not surprised if they actually get married some day."

"What about the rest?" Jaekyung defended. "How do you know he really loves you? How do you know he doesn't like you for your looks or popularity? Because at high school level, students are regretfully superficial. They go out for the sake of going out. Are relationships like this worthy then?"

L frowned. "Then you're underestimating a typical high schooler. I'm sure people can tell of someone likes you for real or not!"

"But the truth is that it's hard to tell!" Jaekyung shot back.

"How the hell would I know!" L growled.

The two of them panted as they glared at each other, finally stopping in their intense debate. Jaekyung tore her eyes away from his first, trying to regain her bearings.

She looked around and saw few students looking their way because of the noise they were making. L reddened and fiddled with his fingers, the first time he actually raised a voice at a girl.

They broke off into awkward silence for a bit. "So.." L scratched his head.

Jaekyung looked at him, her eyes surprisingly hard. "I stand in my case." she murmured in a soft voice. "And you? Can you honestly say that you know what is love and you really love your girlfriend? It's not a fling or anything?"

L looked at her, unable to speak. The truth was, he didn't know.

He didn't know what was love and be most definitely didn't know if he loved Chaekyung. He did find her attractive if that was what she was asking.

Jaekyung sighed, knowing he couldn't answer. "Maybe you don't want to tell me." she shrugged. "But I see not improvement of we're going to fight the whole way."

She stacked her papers. "Make half an essay from your side of the arguments and I'll do mine. We'll combine them for the final article."

She stood up and walked off, her steps oddly quiet in that ease of hers, as if she specially practiced on how to be unnoticeable.

L raked his fingers through his hair. "Damn. That was intense." he breathed.







"I just hattteeeee him!" Jaekyung huffed. "He's so annoying!"

Chaekyung whirled around in surprise, hearing her sister complain about someone for the first time. "Who?"

"This new guy in the Newsletter Committee." Jaekyung muttered. "He's actually going against my views you know! This is the first time someone in the committee actually has something to say against me."

Chaekyung's eyes rounded in interest. "Really?" she giggled. "But unnie you're the best journalist they have. Someone has points to refute yours?"

"Apparently." Jaekyung downed a glass of water. "It was the most intense and exasperating debate ever, even though it didn't last all that long."

Chaekyung grinned. "Well if it's intense and exasperating, it means that guy's points were valid to some extent so you feel angered." she pointed out. "Someone's your match, unnie."

Jaekyung made a face and plopped herself on the couch. "What about you?" she asked her sister. "Why are you home? Shouldn't you be going out with that boyfriend of two days?"

Chaekyung sighed and hugged the pillow. "L oppa had a meeting yesterday and some commitments today. He's a busy guy." she murmured.

"He doesn't know how to treasure you." Jaekyung frowned. "Are you sure-"

"Yes unnie im sure." Chaekyung laughed, knowing what was comic next from her paranoid sister. "He's just busy. That doesn't mean anything." she shrugged.

She turned in her seat to look at her sister. "But unnie, I really want him to meet you."

Jaekyung's eyes rounded and pointed to herself. "Me?" she choked. "Why in the world would you want him to meet me? Don't scare him away, Chae. You don't want him to know about your wallflower sister."

"In fact I do." Chaekyung defended. "L oppa is a good guy, he won't judge you based on your dressing or looks. I just want to let him in on this sister secret of ours. I don't want to lie to him."

Jaekyung sighed. "Fine. But don't blame me if he runs away at the sight of me."

"He won't unnie!" Chaekyung laughed. "You're beautiful!"

*Once.* Jaekyung inwardly added.







To: L oppa

Hello Oppa!

How's your day today? Missed you loads.

From: Chaekyung




L groaned and sent a text back. He didn't know what to say. I missed you too? LIE. The day was awful without you. LIE.



To: Chaekyung

It was fine. A little exasperating because of this little debate I got with one of the other committee members from this group I'm in.

I'm a little surprised though. She's usually so quiet and all, but she has so many views of her own. I wonder what's in that mind of hers.

From: L




Chaekyung sent a reply quickly.



To: L oppa

You sound just like my sister, L oppa! Haha.

You must be tired. I won't keep you from your rest. See you tomorrow, and promise time with me? :D

From: Chaekyung




L sighed.



To: Chaekyung

Yeah sure. Goodnight.

From: L