Be careful what you wish for

Guardian of an Obnoxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: BEWARE OF VERY LONG and BORING CHAPTER. :D

 

“Now why is it that every time we meet, you’re always giving me that dreadful look?”

“Because you probably deserve it…”

Sora crossed her arms and floated over to your side. Her wings spread beautifully behind her as she glowed radiantly. She sighed softly when she landed before you. “I know you’re upset with me for not visiting you sooner…”

You shuffled your bare foot onto the fluffy ground and refused to meet her eyes. It has been too long since you both last met and seeing her now made you feel uneasy. Sora only came into your dreams when there was something very important and right now, you weren’t ready for any bad news yet.

Too many things were still unresolved.

“Hey…” Sora placed her finger under your chin and tilted your head to look up. “You’ve been through hell…I know.” She gently spoke. “…But I also know you’re strong enough to withstand anything. That’s why I decided it was best to let you handle this on your own. If I had frequently visited you, it would only make things harder on you.”

“How so?” You knitted your eyebrows. “I don’t think I’m going anywhere with this….mission.”

You took a step forward and turned around to face her. “You told me this was going to be easy…and that my answers would unravel when the time comes, but it’s not like that at all. It’s been three months and I haven’t remembered any of my memories yet.”

“You’re wrong…” Sora half smiled. “You figured out how you passed away, didn’t you?”

“Yeah…I was hit by a car.” Your shoulders dropped. “I died instantly and that’s all I remember. Everything else is a blur to me, but I know there’s a lot more to this.”

“Finding out what caused your death was the biggest step you’ve taken.” She tried to make you feel better. “All the other little pieces to your life are right before your eyes. Maybe you just haven’t paid close enough attention to realize them.”

You pondered for a brief moment. “Every time I feel like I can see a bit of my past, I’m completely blinded by excruciating pain. It drains all my energy from me. I feel as though it’s preventing me from remembering.”

“The pain’s not preventing you from remembering.” Sora floated elegantly around you and swiftly swept a strand of hair behind your ear. “YOU are preventing yourself from remembering.”

“What do you mean?” You blinked at her.

“You’re running away from your memories, you pabo.” She smiled. “Although your mind is searching for answers, your heart is afraid to face the truth. It’s the reason why you can’t grasp your past…”

“H-How am I running away when I truly want to get this over with? Sora, you’re insane…” You chuckled nervously and bit down on your bottom lip. She had read you like a book and you didn’t want to show her that she was perhaps correct.

“It’s sooo obvious that you are.” She threw her hands up in the air and laughed. “If you’re not running away, then explain to me what happened with Luhan…”

“H-huh? I-I dunno wh-what you’re saying?” You stuttered. “Have you been spying on me?” You crossed your arms.

Sora laughed some more and shrugged. “That’s a secret.”

“You’re horrible…” You scowled irritably. “While I’m suffering, you’re having so much fun watching me.”

“I’m only MONITORING you from time to time and just happened to come across that precious little moment you and that cute boy Luhan shared.” She beamed and let out a dramatic heavenly sigh.

Your face reddened immediately as you quickly recalled it. Who knew he was going to show up? You certainly didn’t give him permission to hold you like that…but he did anyways and you didn’t even fight back whole heartedly.

“Why didn’t you ask him?” Sora questioned you.

“Ask him what?” You looked at your guardian, confused.

“The one thing you’ve been dying to know.” She smoothed out her dress before sitting down on a stone bench.

“If he knows who I am?”

“Bingo.” Sora winked, but then frowned instantly. “Too bad you keep pushing him away.”

“I did ask him once.” You thought about the time you had mindlessly questioned him in class. “He looked confused and suspicious of me, so why would I ask the human a second time?” You shook your head. “Luhan definitely doesn’t know who I am! He’s only doing that because he hates Kai and making Kai angry means getting close to people Kai knows.”

“Deniallll…” She sang. “This proves my point of you running away from your answers.”

You swallowed hard and didn’t want to say anything more.

“I saw the way he looked at you. His eyes shined with so much hurt, sadness and remorse. The way he held onto you like—like he was afraid to lose you.” Sora clasped her hands together and brought it up to her chin dreamily. “...You seem to be the only thing that matters to him when he’s around you.”

“Very poetic of you, Sora.” You gawked at her and rolled your eyes.

“You’re such a pooper!” She stuck her tongue out at you childishly. “…But I know you see what I see too. Your heart was racing wasn’t it? He made your knees feel like jell-o and you wanted that moment to stop forever.”

“Ok, now you’re going overboard.” You crossed your arms. “Luhan is just a mere human boy that I will never associate myself with. If I had a choice, I wouldn’t even bother with Kai either…that stupid cow.”

“Don’t you think you’re playing a little hard to get?” She wiggled her finger disapprovingly. “Give the boy a chance. Even if he has nothing to do with you, don’t you want to know how it feels like to have a crush, or be crushed on? High school sweet heart?”

You scoffed loudly. “I barely have enough time to look after Kai! With so many things preoccupying me, I don’t even know if I’ll even find my past at all! Love?  Forget it.”

“Well, I’m only suggesting.” She shrugged. “I just hope you would realize what’s in front of you before it’s too late. By the way, you need to hurry up with your human and his father’s relationship restoration.”

“I know…I know. It’s not my fault Kai’s father is never home and Kai himself refuses to even speak to him. He’s a stubborn mule.”

“Like yourself.” Sora mumbled, but you heard it. She giggled and stood up. “Getting along with your human lately? Seems like you both were meant to be together.”

“Pffs.” You grumbled. “He’s still annoying.”

“But that’s why you like him.”

“Me? Like him?” Your eyes widened. “Are you out of your damn mind?”

Sora put up her hands in defense. “I’m only saying what I see!”

“Well, you’re obviously blind.” You still couldn’t believe what she said, but you felt as if she was digging deep into your heart. “We’re only trying to stick to our end of the deal.”

“Also…Kai—he already has someone he likes…” You said softly. “…Besides, I don’t think it is right of me to get attached to anyone on earth.”

Sora could hear the hurt in your voice and decided not to push her words any further onto you. You were trying to look strong in front of her and she knew it was going to be hard on you when your days come to an end.

“What’s the bad news?” You questioned her suddenly to break to awkward silence. “I know it’s the only  reason why you appeared.”

Sora looked at you with affection in her eyes before smiling sadly. “You know time is ticking right?”

“Y-Yeah…I know…” You stared at your fingers.

“…and I was informed that you must return once everything is settled. Even if that means your days are not over yet.”

You instantly shot up your gaze back onto her, eyes rounding. “B-But you said that I had a choice .”

“I thought so too, but this wasn’t my decision.” Sora placed a hand on your shoulder. “I also think it’s better this way. The quicker you return, the lesser the pain…”

“N-No, it’s f-fine.” You shook your head deniably. “This means I don’t have to stay for any unnecessary reason…” You tried to stabilize your shaky voice. “…and I can’t wait to get away from that selfish human.”

Sora sighed and shook her head. You were so stubborn; always trying to put up a front that’s obviously not real. If you wanted to stay longer on earth, why couldn’t you just say it truthfully? In all honesty, Sora was willing to go to any lengths to buy you more time, but this was all up to you. She needed you to tell her what you wanted. Hearing it come out from your very own mouth would mean she has every reason to help you.

“365 days.” Sora reminded you. “You’re almost half way there. If you want to use up all your days, then try not to rush your memories back.”

“No, this is the way things should be. I’ll return once this is over. I don’t need my spare days.” You sounded so confident, but you avoided her eyes the whole time. “Being human is too tiring. I can’t wait to finish this mission for good…”

“Really?” Sora narrowed her eyes. “You don’t even care if Kai has a say to this? What if he wants you to stay?”

“Kai?” You laughed loudly. “There’s no need for his opinion. He’ll be so glad that I’m gone from his life. Someone like me isn’t important enough for him. I’m not even real to begin with!” You knelt down and tried to grab a handful of flowers, but they withered away. “Look…even flowers hate me.”

“You’re so pessimistic.” Sora frowned. “And what do you mean you’re not REAL?”

“I’m not a real human.” You pouted. “Make me more human, Sora.”

“How can you be any more human than you already are? I don’t understand.” She stared at you quizzically.

“Kai told me that I’m not real! I want to be more real to show that stupid brat that I really am a HUMAN!” You tried to remain calm, but you found yourself almost on the verge of shouting. You didn’t know this was bothering you so much until now.

“So this is because of Kai? You let him get to you.” She chuckled and pinched your cheek. “Young love is so sweet. I remember those days…” She sighed again. “How cute.”

“Sora!” You screamed at her and she jumped. “That’s disgusting! That peasant and I have nothing like that going on! He just pisses me off and I want to prove him wrong.”

“You’re just being silly.” She twirled around and a gust of wind blew towards you. “Seems like you’re letting your guard down since Kai’s bothering you so much lately.”

“As if.” You smacked your lips. “I’m still the boss of that little shiet f—”

“Language.” Sora raised an eyebrow disapprovingly at you. “Well, I really can’t do much for you because YOU ARE a human…” She tapped her chin and thought deeply about your request.

“There’s really nothing? Am I too strong? Do I not look realistic enough? I don’t think I’m glowing…I’m pretty dull

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter