Lunch with Clowns

Guardian of an Obnoxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You opened your eyes and met with the blinding rays of the sun hitting upon your face. Your entire body felt heavy, like a ton of weight was attached to your limbs. Can’t. Move. You winced and put every effort into trying to revive your muscles.

In realization, you recognized the place you had woken up in. The school’s nurse’s room. How long have I slept?  You propped yourself onto your elbows and sat up; heavy breathing. You felt so out of shape. Why was it so hard to breathe? Nevertheless, your headache seemed to have gone away and you were more than thankful for just that.

You allowed your legs to dangle over the bed as your rubbed your eyes. Whatever medication you received was well worth the weakness that it gave you in return because you haven’t had such a peaceful sleep in…forever. You then began recalling the incident that occurred prior to your bed rest.

Crazy girls being a pain in the …

Crazy girls demanding for Chung en Ho…

Crazy girls trying to kill me…

Kai coming to the rescue…

Kai promising—

“Hey.” The door slid open and your human boy walked in with a look of relief written over his face. Weirdly, you had a tingling sensation inside of you at the sight of him. Maybe you were just slightly touched that he actually kept his words.

He came back for me.

“You’re up. About time.” Kai walked over to you and doesn’t hesitate to check your temperature with the palm of his hand. “Fever looks good.” He smirked. “I guess you’re not going to die after all.” You cringed at that word, but then broke into a smile that created craters in your cheeks.

Kai crinkled his nose and poked a finger in one of your dimples. He hadn’t paid enough attention to you to distinguish such cute feature you had. Wait..what the hell am I doing? He quickly pulled back and stood up straight.

“Was I out for long?” You questioned him, oblivious to his awkwardness. You were probably too comfortable around him now to be bothered by his actions sometimes. It wasn’t a big deal.

“Three periods straight.” He shook his head disapprovingly as your mouth hung open.

“T-Three…hours?! I’ve missed half a day of school already!” You jumped off the bed and searched for your bag. “I had homework to turn in. Crap, didn’t we have a pop quiz for math and a writing assessment for language arts? Oh no…I missed out on lab too.”

“Ok nerd, calm down.” Kai grabbed your converse and placed them under your feet so you could slip them on. “Missing a day won’t kill you. I’ve got you covered so chill out. You’re not even fully recovered yet.” He murmured the word ‘pabo’ at the end of the sentence thinking you wouldn’t hear it. You did.

You scratched your head and smiled sheepishly at him before nodding. “Did you miss class because of me too?” You gave him an apologetic look right away.

“Of course not. I went to class.” He snorted. “You’d think I would sit around for three hours just to hear you snore?”

“Oh…” Was all you said because you realized how dumb you were for thinking that the “I promise…” was even real to begin with. Indeed, I am an idiot. You laughed to yourself.

Kai noticed the sullen expression you tried to conceal, but it showed obviously. He had to give himself props for being the best at teasing you.

“I had to take notes for you…” He finally confessed. “…and the nurse said it would be better to go back to class because you’d be knocked out for a few hours anyways. I made sure to check up on you every passing period just in case you woke up in a frantic pig mess. I came back right on time though….didn’t it?”

Kai gave you a look of assurance to tell you that he really did keep to what he said earlier. He smiled cheekily until he realized what he was doing right now.

What the hell is wrong with me? Why do I need to explain myself?! It’s not like she’s anything to me. Shiet..no..I’m going crazy too. I don’t like this.

Your shoulders deflated as you gazed at your human boy feeling ever so touched. It wasn’t like you were expecting him to do it nor were you thinking of being mad at him either. But to know that Kai did it for you really sparked something in your heart. You had the butterflies; too many butterflies. For the first time ever, you felt shy around him.

Kai sensed the awkwardness elevating with every ticking second and he took the initiative to break the long pause. He cleared his throat. “It’s lunch time. Let’s go eat.” He opened the door and ushered you out.

It wasn’t like you to follow his orders, but with all that’s been happening (plus, blamed it on the medication again), you did as you were told. You tailed behind him appearing between lost puppy and an obedient child; something that was so unlike you. Even you felt uncomfortable about yourself.

With hands tucked in the pockets of his pants, Kai pretended that this wasn’t a big deal at all. That he was just looking out for his guardian angel; for his own sake of course. What would happen to him if you got hurt? You were like his life insurance, his bodyguard, and his….family?

No. No. No. She’s nothing. She’s not even real. I can’t possibly think of her as family. No, definitely not! Kai mindlessly fought with his own shameful thoughts when you tugged at his shirt and he snapped back to reality.

“Thanks….for coming.” You mumbled. Kai turned his head slightly to see you bashfully looking down; intrigued by the not very interesting floor and he smiled secretly.

He suddenly knew the answers to his own questions.

 

~~~

For the first time in weeks, you were able to finally eat lunch. The canteen was filled with rowdy students that formed into their own little cliché groups. As you entered, you quickly got in line hoping to grab your food and get out of there as soon as possible.

“Why are you in such a hurry?” Kai made sure he was in step with you; for once, not leaving you out of his sight. “The food isn’t going anywhere.”

You ignored him and helped yourself to a portion of rice, kimchi, and bulgogi beef. The server placed a serving of vegetables onto your plate as well and you made a face. You then grabbed the last strawberry milk in the basket and happily headed towards the exiting door.

Ms. Im probably has news about my job. Better go s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter