Guilt

Guardian of an Obnoxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kai fidgeted in his seat next to Hee Jin. He had not been paying any attention to the movie that had been playing for over an hour now. As much as he liked her, he couldn’t stop thinking about you and all the terrible things that might have happened to you. He wanted to kick himself for thoughtlessly agreeing on this movie date.

She’s fine, Kai. She’ll survive. She could kill a 300 pound man with one finger. Nothing could happen to that tough pig.

Guilt, guilt, and more guilt occupied his mind, wondering if you were still at the mall waiting for him; if you were mad at him, lost, or hungry. He shook those thoughts away at once when he noticed that he had been wasting the entire night thinking of you.

Of course you didn’t matter to him. Nope, not at all. You were just a nobody who had intruded into his life and he had no choice but to take you in.

Yeah…I don’t need to worry about her. She’s not a real human anyways—

Kai stuck his hand inside his coat and felt a hard object. He shut his eyes and scowled under his breath. It was the hair band that he had gotten you at the mall but didn’t get the chance to give it to you. He grasped it into his palm and squeezed it.

 

“Did you not enjoy the movie?” Hee Jin asked Kai once they walked out of the theatre. Her attractive deep brown eyes stared up at him and he finally remembered why he had said yes to her in the first place. A little bit of guilt subsided.

“No, I enjoyed it.” Kai smiled at her. She looked down and giggled; he thought it was the most adorable thing ever. God, the way she impacted him by doing the smallest thing. What was wrong with him? He had both you and Hee Jin on his mind and didn’t know whether to leave her and go to you, or take her home and just hope you weren’t waiting for him anymore.

Once Kai and Hee Jin stepped out of the theatre, instant cold hit the both of them. Kai shivered, sticking his hand back into his pockets. Damn it. He bit his gum when he felt the hair band again; bringing him back to reality.

He saw Hee Jin rubbed her hands; trying to keep them warm and his heart flipped. For the umpteenth time that night, he sighed nervously. He had to do what was right after all….

“Are you…in a hurry?” Hee Jin asked him.

“I-I…uh…” Kai scratched the back neck and smiled. “Ah Ri—I left her at the mall. She’s probably still waiting for me.”

“Omo!” She clasped a hand over as if she was in total shock. “You should go to your cousin, Kai. I’m really sorry…”

He instantly felt a jab in his stomach. Once again stuck between the two and not knowing who to choose.

“I’ll take you home.” Kai grabbed her hand and squeezed it. She smiled at him when he pulled her along. I can’t just leave her here. That’ll be wrong.

But what about Ah Ri? You left her at the mall, you imbecile. A voice at the back of his mind punched him.

Shut up…shut up…shut up.

Kai slapped the voice away and concentrated on Hee Jin. She looked innocent; someone who was both adorable and y at the same time. This was what he wanted; to be closer to her. Right?

Right?!!

“Are you cold?” He asked her.

She nodded slowly. “Just a little.”

Like a gentleman, he took off his coat and put it over Hee Jin.

“I’m fine, really I am.” She shyly said. “I kind of like the cold.”

“You do?” Kai blinked. “Well, keep it on anyways or you’ll get sick.” He half smiled.

Ah Ri hates the cold. The voice came back.

Yeah, she does. Kai somberly agreed while his inside melted in a puddle of remorse.

~~~~

“Hey...” Someone shook you lightly. “Ah Ri ah.”

You slowly looked up from your crouching position when a warm hand touched the back of your neck. As you blinked a few times to clear your vision, you instantly leaned back when you realized who it was.

 “What are you doing out here in the cold?” Luhan’s brows creased as he searched your face worriedly. He could tell you’ve been waiting out there for awhile now by the look of your purplish lips and redden nose.

You blinked dumbfounded, surprised to see him there. Of all places and people, it happened to be Luhan, the last person you wanted to see.

 “I—I’m waiting for…..” Your voice trailed off at the thought of Kai.  

Luhan grabbed your arm and hauled you up from the ground when he saw how sullen your expression became. Astoundingly, you didn’t reject him, but instead you sadly stared down the streets.

“Waiting for Kai?” Luhan interrupted your thoughts like he read your mind. You turned your head to look at him not knowing what to say.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to talk…” He sensed your uneasiness. He then gazed down at your hands in which you were rubbing them together. You immediately shoved them into the pocket of your sweater when you noticed.

It wasn’t that you didn’t want to talk; you were just too damn embarrassed to admit that you were ditched by that jerk and didn’t know your way back. You were tough and unafraid and you didn’t want anyone, especially Luhan to know you were lost or scared even….

Quietness filled the air. Luhan his lips as he stood there like a total idiot in front of you. You weren’t helping much to break the awkward silence that lingered in the polar atmosphere.

Why have you suddenly gotten so shy around him? Was it because he appeared out of the blue or maybe the fact that you were too numb from the cold to even feel a bit of agitation around him like you usually did? Whatever the reason was, you certainly couldn’t find your voice. 

“Look…it’s really c-cold. We’ll freeze to d-death if we stay here any longer.” Luhan managed to choke out. He was trying hard to stop his voice from shivering.

“Well then what are you doing here?” You questioned him with your head slightly tilted to the side. I never asked you to stay.

“I could ask you the same thing.” He held back a chuckle and then cleared his throat. “You look LOST.”

“I’m not lost!” You rapidly defended.

Luhan lifted an eyebrow not believing you, but he said nothing more. He watched you leaned lazily against the wall with your shopping bags at your feet like you were about to pass out any minute. Good thing was that the cold was keeping you awake.

A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips when he saw you pouting slightly again. She is such a pouter. He ruffled the back of his hair and quickly thought of something.

“Come on.” He took you by the hand. “I’ll take you home.”

You stared at him as if he was crazy while he grabbed your bags and pulled you along. You had no time to object to him with your thoughts running all over the place at the moment.

 Why is he here? How did he know that I was here? Why am I suddenly being so obedient to this person that I feel so uncomfortable with?! But the warmth that was coming off from him was refreshing. You didn’t want to pull away either.

Luhan felt your stiffness but kept his cool. He secretly stared at you from his peripheral vision and saw you fighting with yourself by the look of your baffled face. Again, he smiled.

At least she isn’t trying to run away from me. He thought gladly and made sure his strides where short enough for you to keep up with.

“Are you stalking me?” You blurted out.

 Luhan coughed, surprised at your straightforwardness and began cracking up. He slightly bent over and roared into heaps of laughter.

You narrowed your eyes at him. “What?”

He straightened up and faced you. “You probably won’t believe me, but my father owns the mall.”

Your jaws literally fell to the ground. Exactly how many places do this human own anyways? The school and now the freaken mall? He probably owns this ground that I’m walking on too. Even shopping felt like you needed permission now. Damn rich kids.

“That’s….wow….” You muttered. Luhan bit his lip seeing your eyes widened adorably. He just couldn’t stop smiling like a fool and he didn’t know why. Maybe it was the amazing reality that he was still holding onto your hand without you rejecting to his touch.

I like this. A lot.

You scowled and continued walking beside him when you finally realized that your hand was still being held tightly in Luhan’s sweaty warm one. Immediately, you yanked your hand away, grabbed your shopping bags from him and quickened your pace.

Luhan po

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter