Explanation

The Bubble Tea Store

 

I kept my eyes glued to the computer screen, trying my best to concentrate on my assignment and block out all the unnecessary noise Exo was making in the library. 

If I had known that they were going to be this loud I would’ve accepted Sehun’s offer to share the same table with him in the farthest table. He knew that the boys would be like this and so decided to work separately. He was studying alone, immersed in a textbook he was reading.

I secretly observed him. 

We haven’t had the chance to talk about anything that happened last night. Nothing was mentioned to Exo either. They were still clueless about the whole thing.

“Hyemi, stop checking Sehun out,” Baekhyun said, causing me to look away and back to the screen.

“I wasn’t. I was looking out the window,” I nonchalantly replied.

“Nice try but the window’s to your right. Not straight ahead. That was the worst cover-up ever.”

“Just work on your essay!” I told him. 

Refusing to get distracted again, I stared at the keys below my fingertips and attempted to construct a sentence in my head for the assignment. 

But then I stole another glance at Sehun. 

At that moment, he lifted his eyes from the page he was reading and looked straight at me. Our eyes locked for a fraction of a second before I quickly looked down and pretended to do my work. 

On the other hand, Exo continued with their bickering.

"Tao, please focus," Kris irritably ordered. 

"I am. Can't you see?" Tao answered, endlessly clicking on the mouse.

"Close that online game and do some research! Our pair’s assignment is due tomorrow and you haven't even started your part yet!"

"What is this assignment you speak of?"

"Kris, don't disturb him. He's about to complete the level," D.O interjected. 

"This is the tenth time he's attempted the level and it's only the first one. How stupid can he get?" 

“I don’t know. We’ll see,” D.O snickered.

"This bird won’t fly!” Tao impatiently clicked away. “Or is it a plane? I can’t tell. The graphics are so horrible I want to cry.”

“It’s a bird,” D.O confirmed.

“No, it’s an eagle,” Chen spoke up.

“Yes, I believe that’s what I meant,” D.O looked at him stupidly.

“Oh, no! It's getting shot now! What do I do?!" Tao panicked. 

"You're the one who's shooting it. Look. You got the red target aimed at it," Suho pointed out. 

“You murderer!” Chen accused Tao.

Tao gasped, "What?! I thought I had to use that to drag the animal. What am I even playing?!"

I rested my elbows on the table and rubbed my temples.

"Guys, can you please quiet down a little?" I requested from them nicely, hiding my annoyance. 

"Oh, sorry, Hyemi. We’ll try to keep our voices down," they whispered. 

"Thanks. That’ll be great."

It was silent for a couple of seconds before their voices rose again, completely forgetting what I asked.

"Who wants to have an online race?" Xiumin challenged. "You better hurry up because I've already started."

"Hey, that's cheating!" Suho countered.

Wild tapping of keys were then heard on each keyboard. 

"Kyungsoo, why is your runner just standing still? Make it move," Lay said. 

"Okay. How?" D.O pressed the arrows on the keyboard.

Chanyeol burst into laughter, "It's running in the opposite direction. You're going the wrong way."

"No, I'm not! You are," D.O quickly glanced at Chanyeol's screen. 

Chanyeol stopped laughing and gasped.

"Oh, what? Let's start over! This isn’t fair!" he complained. 

"I don't know what I'm doing," Baekhyun was also participating in the virtual race and randomly tapped on the keys. 

"I know what to do. Use this one," Kai tried to help Baekhyun and pressed Enter. 

All the windows vanished and an error window suddenly appeared.

"Nope, that wasn't it," Kai shook his head.

"What did you do?!" Baekhyun glared at him.

"I just pressed this," Kai was about to try again but Baekhyun slapped his finger away.

“Don’t touch anything! You’ll make it worse,” Baekhyun analysed the problem, reading the warning.

“I think it’s this key,” Kai ignored anyway and pressed something. 

The computer suddenly shut down.

"JONGIN!"

"Oops."

"My essay!" Baekhyun panicked and clicked the mouse endlessly, hoping that it would turn on again.

"I’m sorry! Did you at least save it?"

"No, I didn't!"

Kai's face scrunched, "Oh. Then you're doomed. Good luck with that."

"Thanks a lot. Now I have to start over!" Baekhyun exasperatedly threw his arms in the air. 

"Don't freak out. You only wrote one sentence, anyway.”

Baekhyun punched him in the arm. 

How are they not kicked out of the library yet?!

Having enough, I saved my document and gathered my books, "You’re all annoying! I’m going to study somewhere else."

“Okay, bye,” they waved.

Rolling my eyes, I made my way to Sehun's table. He looked up when he heard a chair scrape across the floor. I took a seat opposite from him and opened my books, not saying a word. 

Sehun put his pen down, "Are you here to entertain me? Because I was starting to get bored."

"Just pretend I'm not here," I flipped a page and carried on with my studies. 

"I can't focus now that you're here," he said.

"Well, you're going to have to try."

"Alright. I'll focus on you instead."

"No, don't!" I shot him a glare.

I now regret my decision to sit here.

"Sehun, I already have a headache from all the ruckus the boys were creating. Please don't make me throw these books at you like I wanted to throw the computer at them," I threatened.

"Whoa, someone's a little cranky today. Didn't you get much sleep last night?" he asked with an amused smile, folding his arms on the table.

"No, I didn't. It's all your fault," I muttered under my breath.

"What? How exactly?" Sehun managed to hear what I said.

I was about to open my mouth and tell him that I stayed up all night worrying about him, but quickly decided against it.

"For all the things you put us through yesterday," I answered instead.

"Oh, yeah. Yesterday was crazy, wasn't it? We should do it again sometime," he laughed lightly.

My eye twitched. 

"What happened yesterday?" Luhan suddenly appeared, sitting next to Sehun.

"Why are you here? Go back over there," Sehun ordered Luhan, pointing to Exo.

Luhan's eyes widened when he noticed the bandage on Sehun's left arm, catching a glimpse of the white fabric when Sehun used it to point.

"You got hurt?!" Luhan asked in concern, carefully holding onto Sehun's injured arm to observe more closely.

"Yeah. I have a huge cut right here," Sehun didn't deny it and rolled up his sleeve, revealing the bandage. 

"How did it happen?" Luhan demanded to know and Sehun explained to him in detail. 

In fact, Sehun went on to tell about everything that happened yesteday. Every single thing, including our kiss and his plans to move to America. 

Surprisingly, Luhan didn't react to the news the same way I did. He was calm and composed. It was as if he already knew that Sehun was going to leave...

"Ohhh. Well, I hope you get well soon," Luhan patted Sehun's back in sympathy after Sehun concluded with the story. 

That was all. No questions were asked regarding the important issue. Just a cute display of brotherly love.

For the remaining period, I just sat there and wondered. It didn't make sense.

When the bell rang, we all exited the library. Instead of going to my locker I caught up to Luhan and confronted him about it. 

"Can you tell me how you feel about Sehun going to America?" I asked him, eager to know.

He shrugged, "I'm not too worried about it."

I gave him a puzzled look. 

"Why? You're not going to miss him? What kind of friend are you?!" I asked, shocked.

He quickly shook his head, not wanting to be misunderstood. 

"Hyemi, it's not that at all. It's going to be alright. Nothing's going to change."

"I don't know what you're talking about, Luhan," I truthfully said. 

"The same thing happened last year when Sehun told us he was moving to Japan. He had the meetings with his dad but do you know what happened? He didn't move. His parents decided not to go anymore and I never knew the reason behind it to be honest but anyway, I think that's what's going to happen again for America," he responded with confidence.

All my worries were chased away at that moment. It wasn't guaranteed that Sehun was going to stay, but the information was enough to make me feel better.

"Thanks, Luhan," I smiled.

When I reached my locker I found Sehun already waiting there for me, checking his phone.

"There you are. We have History now. Let's go," he started to walk off. 

"Sehun, wait," I pulled him back.

"Yeah?" he asked.

I paused. 

"Never mind. Nothing," I ended up saying.

"Great, now you got me curious. Tell me what's going on." 

Choosing not to hide it, I replied, "I hate you and all but I'd be devastated if you were to move overseas."

"Hyemi," he frowned. 

"You haven't even told me the reason why you're leaving," I added.

"I know I haven't been clear with you about anything that's happened last night, but don't worry, okay? Just forget about it. I'll take care of it all," he assured. 

Silence followed.

"Tell me why you're going overseas," I demanded.

"It's not as exciting as you think. My parents want to work in New York and they also want me to attend university there," he explained.

"But graduation isn't until next year," I said matter-of-factly.

"I know that," Sehun shut his eyes tightly in frustration. "Look, it's complicated. I don't even want to stress about this moving thing. It's months away and nothing's confirmed yet. Please leave it alone."

I wasn't sure why I was highly bothered by all of this. It was Sehun's problem; not mine. It shouldn't matter to me at all. 

"Fine. I'll stop caring then," I told him. He let out a sigh.

"Was that all you wanted to talk about?" he asked in a much softer tone.

"Yeah," I nodded, turning my head.

"Good. I'm glad that's out of the way. I actually have something else in mind."

I looked up at him, trying to act normal, "And what's that?"

"I think you need to be reminded of it. Hold still." 

Just then, Sehun grabbed my chin and came closer. My eyes immediately rounded.

"Wait. S-Sehun," I pulled my head back a bit, knowing exactly what was about to happen. However, Sehun continued to lean in and closed the distance between us, locking our lips. 

There goes a kiss, stolen just like that. Then another was stolen. And then one more...

"My eyes! Oh my god, someone cover them!" Baekhyun exclaimed, smacking a hand over his eyes.

I quickly pulled away in surprise and pushed Sehun off.

"B-Baekhyun! H-How long were you standing there?!" I nervously asked, blushing.

"I was with Sehun this whole time. I was standing right here! You didn't see me?!" he asked in disbelief.

"N-No, I didn't."

Baekhyun ignored me and flailed his arms, "I wasn't wearing an invisibility cloak, Hyemi! Did I need to jump around for you to notice me?!"

"I didn't know you were there either," Sehun spoke up.

Baekhyun's jaw dropped. "Well, that's rude! And to think I wanted to walk to class with you guys!"

I laughed uncomfortably.

"O-Okay, Baekhyun. We'll walk together now," I grabbed his arm, not even glancing at Sehun out of embarrassment.

"I don't want to anymore," Baekhyun crossed his arms but still let me drag him along.

"Fine. I'll go alone then," I dropped his arm.

"No, okay! I'll come!" he quickly said and it was his turn to grab my wrist. 

Forgetting about Sehun, Baekhyun led me out of the hallway. I tugged on his sleeve when we missed a turn to go to our class.

"Baekhyun, our room is this way," I informed.

"We're not going to class," he continued to walk in a steady pace.

"What are we going to do then?" I realized we were heading towards the soccer field.

"We're going to talk. You have a lot of explaining to do, Hyemi."