Welcome Back

The Bubble Tea Store

 

"Baekhyun, what happened last night when Sehun took me to my room? Did I really act that way?" I ask Baekhyun, eager to know the truth.

Just being reminded of Sehun's descriptive tale of my drunken behavior makes me cringe in embarrassment. It better be a lie. 

"What do you mean? Act like what?" Baekhyun looked back at me in confusion. 

"Sehun said that I held onto him for a long time which was the reason why he slept on my bed with me. I didn't beg him to stay, did I?" 

"I have no idea what you're talking about. You were asleep the whole time," Baekhyun replied. 

"What?"

"You were still sleeping when he laid you down. You never woke up. All I saw him do after was hop on the bed and make himself comfortable next to you. I told him to go to his own room, but he summoned Luhan just to kick me out to leave you guys in peace," he explained. 

I just stared at Baekhyun like a statue. It was the most accurate explanation I had ever heard. Of course that was what happened. 

THAT LIAR. 

 

♦ ♦ ♦

 

Next day:

Sunday arrived sooner than expected. Sadly, today was the final day of my family trip and Exo's vacation. We woke up early in the morning and wasted no time to complete the remaining activities we all wanted to do before leaving the luxurious resort for good. 

There was an extra hour to spare before driving to the airport and the boys agreed to spend it at the beach, savoring the final moments of freedom and paradise before returning to our normal lives. 

“Okay, who wants to play soccer with me?!” Luhan wore a grin as he tossed the ball in the air and let it land on the soft sand in front of him.

Baekhyun opened his mouth to reply, "I don't really want to pl--"

"Too bad! You're all playing, anyway! Boys, gather here!" Luhan didn't let Baekhyun complete his sentence as he just excitedly waved the others to come over.

"Exo-M against Exo-K, right?" I decided to split the teams and volunteer to be the referee of the soccer match.

Once the rules were covered, the game began. Hell broke loose. 

"Over here! I'm open!" Tao told Xiumin. Xiumin struggled to keep the ball in his possession as the others fought for it too. 

"Kris, what are you doing?!" Xiumin pushed him away and kicked Kris' feet off. "We're on the same team!"

Their effort to maintain the ball on their side was lost when Suho cleverly stole it away, taking their distraction as an opportunity. 

"SUHO, PASS THE BALL TO ME!" Kai practically roared. 

"Come closer! You're too far!" Suho replied, glancing back and forth at the ball and his scattered team members. 

"Are you blind?! I'm right next to you!" Kai shouted.

"Suho, over here!" Sehun called, gesturing with both hands to kick it in his direction. 

Suho noticed Sehun was much closer and was clear of guard, and therefore chose to kick it towards him. Sehun bumped the ball with his chest when it came. He managed to zig zag his way past his opponents, showing off his soccer skills at its highest level.

Chen was the goalie for the opposing team and was prepared to block the ball. They came face to face when Sehun reached their end. Sehun stopped and trapped the ball under his foot. A smirk played on his lips when he slowly took two steps back. 

"Give it your best shot," Chen challenged. 

Both men looked very determined. The others jogged over to see what the outcome will be, shouting encouraging words to their teammate. The spotlight was on them now. 

We held our breath when Sehun did a massive swing with his leg, kicking the ball with great force. Chen's reflexes were fast, but not fast enough as his arms failed to stop the ball on time, flying past him in lightning speed. Sehun successfully scored a goal for his team. His team and I cheered in celebration.

After a while, the game score reached a tie, 4-4. It was only ten minutes into the next game before the rules and their way of playing the sport began to change. It became a mix of different sports half way through when they decided to just run away with the ball in their hands, chasing and tackling the person who was in possession of it. 

The ball was kicked in D.O's direction and he innocently grabbed it from the ground. It was the worst mistake of his life. 

"ARRGGHHH!" D.O screamed at the top of his lungs as he ran. 

The boys were right behind his tail, eager to jump on him and have him buried underneath in what it will look like a collapsed human pyramid.

"Stop! Time out!" D.O exclaimed, gripping tightly on the ball. He still ran as fast as he could, constantly glancing back at the psychotic rampage behind him.

"YOU'RE GOING DOWN!" they ignored his desperate plea and chased faster.

"Hyemi, help me!" D.O cried as he made a sharp U-turn and ran in my direction. 

"Just throw the ball away!" I told him. 

"No, it's mine!" he snapped and hugged it. My eyes widened when I saw them getting closer. 

"Oh, no," I abruptly stood up and dusted myself. "D.O, get away from me!"

I didn't have time to escape as he hid behind me and hugged me with one arm as tightly as possible while the other secured the ball in place. I noticed the boys increase their speed towards us. 

"Here comes the pain," D.O uttered in fright. 

Yes, the pain I'll feel for the both of us.

Within seconds, we were engulfed in a massive group hug and excited screams. 

D.O suddenly disappeared from behind me and I knew they had tackled him to the ground. They tortured him. There was nothing more evil than being helplessly pinned down and tickled on every sensitive spot of your body. D.O was laughing uncontrollably and was crying at the same time.

"N-No, stop! Please! I-I can't handle anymore!"

I covered my mouth to hold my own laughter in. After what it seemed like an eternity for D.O, they finally removed themselves off of him and left him lying there on the sand, still laughing and out of breath. 

"I hate soccer so much," D.O said weakly and hugged himself.

The time has finally come for us to leave Jeju Island. I made sure to say goodbye to everyone who I had befriended on the island, especially Myungsoo and his new girlfriend, Haneul. I was glad it finally happened between them.

The flight back to Seoul was peaceful as the boys took advantage of the short journey to regain their energy, napping for a few hours. I was looking forward to returning home and working again. 

 

♦ ♦ ♦

 

[Sehun's POV]

I turned the door knob of my house and entered, wheeling my luggage along behind me. I shut the door, but quickly stopped in my tracks when I realized that I wasn't the only one present inside the house. I was greeted by my father, his arms folded in front of his chest and his dark eyes staring back at me. 

"Welcome back, son," he spoke, his voice sounding angry.  

"Dad..."  

"What's the meaning of this?" he eyed the luggage sitting beside me. 

I remained silent for a brief moment, gathering up some courage to speak confidently in front of him. 

"I left to go somewhere with my friends," I replied. 

"For a whole week. I know. Why is it that I had to be informed by your school about it? Why wasn't I told of this directly by you? Who gave you permission to leave?" he bombarded me with questions. 

"I made the decision on my own. I told mom about it and I assumed that she told you on the day I left."

"Your mother was called to go to New York for a business project on the same day and I wasn't aware of your situation until I arrived home late that night."

"Dad, listen. I thought--"

"Do you know how embarrassing it was to call the school and ask for my own son's whereabouts?!" he suddenly raised his voice in anger, making me flinch. "Why didn't you tell me?! I was here worried, wondering what on earth happened to you and I get told that you were just playing with your silly friends on an island!"

Silence followed after.

I didn't expect this sort of issue to come up since I was confident that I was going to get away with it. However, this sudden outburst and temper from my father was nothing new to me. I've had worst arguments with him. 

Sighing, my eyes dropped to the floor. 

"It doesn't matter. You wouldn't have noticed anyway since you're never home," I muttered under my breath before I could stop myself. 

"Sehun." 

"Dad, I'm tired," I brushed past him without giving him another glance. "I'll talk about it later."

Before I closed my bedroom door, I heard him sigh heavily and rub his forehead in frustration. I sat on the edge of my bed and hung my head low. So much for a warm welcome. 

They say that there's no place like home. To me, that's always been a lie.