Birthday part I

The Pain Behind The Darkness

2008-03-11 23:10pm room 1505

Ray went in with a furious Joel behind after the meeting with Stephen in this afternoon.

Joel: I don't understand Stephen gah, why must he work with Zhi Wah.?"

Ray:" There are no need to be so angry about it, if he really want to work with her that badly there must be a reason. But I'm sure it wont take long till he perceive that it's impossible for Cheng Long and Choi Long to cooperate."

Joel:" Why don't you just tell him? He still think that he can solve the problem between us"

Ray: " I don't want to tell him to much about our problem if it's not necessary, also we don't know if he will collaborate with us or not so why tell him?"

Joel: " Do you think that he will chose to work with her instead of us if he really need to chose?"

Ray: " I don't know, first I thought he would consider us before her but now it seems different. He really cares about the collaboration between them."

Joel: " Shall we try to find someone else to work with then? I mean we can't just sit here and wait till he have decide"

Ray: " Yeah you are right but we don't know anyone here, let me call Michael tomorrow and see if he can take contact with other brothers."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008-03-12 08:00am room 1504

Charm came out from the bathroom wrapped in a towel after her usual morning exercise, in the same time her cellphone called. Charm look at the display and had a light smile when she saw who was calling.

Charm: "Dim ah? (which mean what is it) you rarely call me"

Ada: " I just wanted to say happy birthday, even if I know that you wont celebrate I still want to wish you a great day"

Charm sat there in silence she know that her aunt wish her well and have always wanted her to enjoy this day. But it was so hard she can't just forget what happen on that day.

Charm: " don't worry aunt I haven't celebrate this day for twenty year now so it doesn't matter anyway. It's like which day on the year, but thanks that you called."

Ada:" I know you don't celebrate but I still hope that someday you will do it again. This day should be a happy day"

Charm: Hai lah (which mean yes I know/ I will) I know that you will say that every year and you should know by now that you will get the same answer no matter how many times you try."

Ada knew that this wont lead anywhere so it was better to not try any further.

Ada: " ok lah I wont force you, so how is it in Taiwan? you have been there for awhile now. It's everything going fine or do you need my help?

Charm: " Well I will meet up with another brother tomorrow and discuss I hope it will lead somewhere."

Ada: " Tomorrow? I thought you would be back tomorrow. What happen with the first one? Couldn't you find a good deal?"

Charm: " I planed to be back today but things didn't turn out that way. The other brother wanted to collaborate with Cheng Long so there are no more to discuss"

Ada nodded she understood why it didn't turn out the way Zhi Wah had planed. She was more worried about Zhi Wah than their business, these time in the year was the hardest time for her and even so she needed to deal with Cheng Long.

Ada:" Are you sure you will be ok? I can come over and see what I can help or at least come as a support."

Charm:" Don't worry aunt I will make it. Stay in Hong Kong and find sometime to be with grandpah he need to have someone around during this time."

Ada: " Ok I will don't worry, dad have brother Wah and Francis there so I think it's ok. And you know that it's inopportune for me to meet him in public but I will try to be around.

Charm:" I know that but I thought that grandpah wanted to have a relative around during this time. But I know it's hard for you."

Ada: " Hou lah ( which mean like ok) I must hang up now, talk to you later bye"

Charm: "bye"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08:30am Tavias apartment

Tavia get out from her bedroom still wearing the bed cloths. She just couldn't sleep to the afternoons no matter how hard she tries. To her surprise Bosco was in the kitchen.

Tav: " Hey what are you doing here?"

Bosco jumped a bit on her sudden appearance and smiled sweetly

Bosco: " I know that you would be up early so I bough some congee for you, also wanted to see how you are and if you are prepared for tomorrow."

Tav was touched by Bosco's consideration, how sweet of him to bring her breakfast when she knew he had and the others had a discharge last night.

Tav:" Thanks for the breakfast, well I think I'm prepared for tomorrow I will do my best and don't let anyone suspect me"

Bosco: " Good, well this will probably be the last time I get up here because from tomorrow on you will 100% be Yip bow yee. But don't worry we will have contact through the bugs. Here you are"

Bosco handed Tav a jewel box

Tav was surprised and open it and found ten different accessories

Tav: " Oh they are beautiful, thanks"

Bosco: " It's the bugs, so remeber to put one of these on everyday when you go outside this apartment. Besides that this are bugs they have also a transmitter in it so we can know where exactly you are"

Tav was a bit disappointed which she didn't really understand why but she didn't showed it and just nodded about what Bosco have said.

Tav: " So it's just for me to put on which I want and that's it?"

Bosco: " Yeah but remember to put them back in the same position in the box because each time you take out one, that one will be activated so we can detect where you are so it's important that you put them back after you have used it."

Tav nodded, this accessories was the only thing she have to get contact with Bosco, so she will take good care of it and put it on a safe place.

Bosco: " ok let's eat some congee now before it get cold."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9:00 am A.C Law firm

Ada was already in her office and reading through the new cases when a sudden knock on the door interrupted her. She looked up and tell the one to come in

Kev: " Hi, I hope I don't disturb"

Ada:" Oh, of course not. What can I help you with?"

Kev: " I don't know how to say this but I wonder do you know what kind of things Charmaine like?"

Ada look at Kevin with a suspicious and questioning expression

Ada:" Why do you want to know, and why did you ask me?"

Kev: " I know that Charmaine have been our client for long and you and her seems to know each other well so I though you would know. But if you don't know then it's ok"

Ada: " You still haven't answer my first question"

Kev scratch his back head, how should he put this up Ada was his good friend but in the same time his boss. He couldn't tell her that he was interested in one of their client.

Kev: " Oh didn't I? I'm sorry hehehe.. Well I get thought our clients folder someday ago and notice that it was actually Charmaine's birthday today so I though to buy her a present that's why I asked."

Ada know exactly what the purpose was in someway she was really happy for both Charm and Kev, but in the other hand she knew that Charm hated to celebrate this day of hers.

Ada: " oh is it? I didn't know that. Well I don't know what kind of stuff she likes. We mostly talk about business"

With a disappointed expression kev nodded

Kev: " Thanks anyway, I get back to work now. Don't disturb anymore"

Ada looked at the door after Kev close it behind with deep breath she laid back on the backrest and though.

POV

Kev is a good guy I'm sure he can make Charm happy but how can I tell him that she hated to celebrate this day. Was it wrong of me to not tell him? I really don't know.
I can't even remember how many times Charm have turned the guys down on this day, I just hope she wont be to harsh to Kev. Maybe it's good that she still is in Taiwan.

end of POV

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12:15 pm room 1504

Charm was going to meet up with Jade and Kenny to have a quick lunch in the hotel and then find more information about the new leader they wanted to collaborate with but before she left the room her cellphone called. Charm looked at the display before answering

Charm: " Hi Kev, did you want me something?"

Kev: " How did you know it was me?"

Charm: " Well you called from your own cellphone so why shouldn't I know it was you?"

Kev: " ha? oh hahaha so stupid of me. I just wanted to ask you if you have time for dinner tonight, of course it's my treat...."

Before Kev could continue with his sentence he get interrupted by his secretary who didn't know that he was still in his office during lunch time. She fastly apologized and left the room.

Charm: " Sorry Kev but I'm currently in Taiwan so I think I need to say no to your invitation but thanks in anyway"

Kev: " Oh so you are already in Taiwan, I should be the one who say sorry that didn't checked it up before calling. But I though you would be in Hong Kong this day but seems that you are a workaholic."

Charm: " Ha? why should I bee in HK during this day?"

Kev: " eh.. oh nothing don't think to much about what I just said. I need to hang up now. See you "

Charm didn't even had a chance to say bye before Kev hanged up. But she didn't think of it further, she just though he was busy with something else.

Charm came out from her hotel room and was going towards the lift when she met Stephen in the hallway.

Stephen hadn't though of meeting Charm here but he took this opportunity to talk to her once again hoping she will change her mind.

In a casual voice he said " Oh hi Zhi Wah, I didn't know you lived in the same hotel as Ray and even just next to his room."

Charm: " I didn't expect you would be here either"

Stephen could feel the coldness in her voice but didn't offense by it and continue " can we just talk things over and find a good way to collaborate, no matter what kind of conflicts you and Ray have this shouldn't effect our business. I mean you both are adults so forget about the past and start over again"

Charm looked at Stephen furiously she couldn't believe what he just said, with a furious but still calm voice she said " I though I made myself clear the last time we talked. There wont be any collaboration between us if Cheng Long is in the picture, also what do you know about our conflict? If you don't know anything then don't even try to bai peng (means solve) our problems. If you think that an adult can just put things behind then I'm sorry I will NEVER be an adult. I have already find another one to collaborate with so just forget about our business so now excuse me"

Stephen hold his fist and looked at Charm angrily, he was all nice to her and wanted to help them out as a thanks she put him down and even told him she already have find another partner to cooperate with. Stephen put down is anger and was going to knock on Ray door, when Joel came out from his own hotel room and saw Stephen outside Ray's door.

Joel: " Hi Stephen gah, are you looking for Ray?"

Stephen: " Of course I'm looking for Ray what else?"

Joel was a bit upset about the attitude of his but just ignore it and jokingly said " Of course Stephen gah wouldn't just come here, your time is valuable. But Ray isn't here he went out earlier"

Stephen: " oh is it so, doesn't matter I can call him."

Joel: " Well I would recommend you to call him tomorrow instead, he don't have the cellphone on, on this day and even if he have he wouldn't pick it up it will just go to his voice mail."

Stephen: "Really? What's the matter with today?"

Joel: " Ha? well I don't know, I just know that every year during this time he wouldn't pick up any call or even deal with any business" he lied

Stephen: " Well if it's like that then I better come back tomorrow or else you tell him tonight that I have search for him"

Joel: " I can tell him that, see you tomorrow then"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14:45 pm Taiwan

Ray has walked around the streets for more then four hours already and still haven't eat anything. He didn't know where to go or what to do. Usually during this time of the year when he was in HK he will be going to Tai Koo Plaza and look at the people who skate for an hour or two afterwards he will be going to Happy plaza nearby and watch the children's happy faces. This will remind him of the happy memories on this day.
Ray walked past a display window and saw a very special necklace, he stood there for more then ten minutes in the end the seller came out and asked him " can I help you with anything?"
Ray get back to reality and with a warm smile he answered " Yes I want to buy this necklace"

Seller: " Follow me in and I will bring you the necklace so you can have a better look on it."

Ray followed her in so he could have a better look on the necklace, the more he regarded the necklace the more he liked it.

Ray:" I take it"

Seller:" Thanks, you really have a good taste. This is a special design by our CEO and there are just one example of this necklace so it's really dok yat mou yii (which mean special and no other way to find another one).I'm sure your girlfriend will like it"

Ray look at the seller and smiled awkwardly

Ray: "Thanks, can you wrap it in for me?"

Ray went our from the store with a little bag on his hand. He was satisfied with what he have bought today and went to a nearby restaurant to have a quick lunch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16:00 pm Hong Kong airport

This was the first time she was back in Hong Kong after her family migrate to Canada for 16 years ago. She has always love this place and wanted to be back and finally she is back.
She take out a piece of paper with a address written on it.

She went out from the airport and took a taxi and give the driver the paper to get to the destination.

16:45 pm outside Lam's mansion

The door bell rang and Chat jeh open up, with a questioning face she asked " who are you looking for miss?"

" you must be chat jeh, don't you remember me?" the lady in the door way asked

Chat jeh looked at her, but couldn't remind that she have seen this women before. But she clearly knew who she was.

Chat jeh: " Sorry miss but I can't remember you, are you looking for master?"

"it's me Linda Chung Ka Yan" the unknown lady said.

Chat jeh's eyes get wide open.

Chat jeh: " Oh it's you, wah you have changed so much I couldn't recognize you. Come in I will tell lou jeh that you are here"

Linda went in and looked around. Everything have change inside she didn't recognize anything.

After a short moment Paul came down from his room, he didn't believe Chat jeh that Linda would be here. But to his surprise she was standing right in his living room.

Paul: " Ka Yan?"

Linda turned around and saw Paul coming down from the stairs.

Linda: " Paul sok, it was long time ago. It's everything good with you?"

Paul: " Yeah it's just fine with me, when did you come back? Are your parents with you?"

Linda: " I just arrived today, no my parents aren't with me. I just came back myself."

Paul: " Oh, how long will you stay. Have you find anywhere to stay yet? if not you can stay stay here"

Linda: " Thanks Paul sok, well actually I will stay here and find a work. I haven't though of going back to Canada"

Paul was choked with the news, he haven't expected her to stay for so long and this was not a pleased news.

Paul: " Oh, so you decided to come back, what do you father think of that?"

Linda: " He didn't like the idea but I'm already of age so he can't stop me. Also I really want to go back to HK I have never really liked Canada"

Paul: " Well I think you at least should call back home and tell them you are safe. You can stay here until you find another place"

Linda: "Thanks Paul sok, oh where is Ray?"

Paul: " Oh he isn't home, he is in Taiwan on a business trip don't know when he will be back"

Linda nodded in disappointment she really wanted to meet him and see how he look likes after so many year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------