Step 1: How to make your best friend realize his own feelings.

"How To Catch A Dragon" for Dummies.

 

-Step 1-

 

It's been a couple of weeks since Luhan began noticing Yixing's new behavior. His roommate would wake up at six each morning at the sound of his alarm clock, walk out of their shared bedroom and begin preparing breakfast. But not some simple breakfast. Waffles. Freaking waffles. As in a stupid-Canadian-breakfast-that-Luhan-wants breakfast. Then, he would start pouring himself some chocolate cereal — with marshmallows, mind you — and wait patiently at the dining table.

 

Exactly at six thirty each morning, Wufan would wake up, smell the delicious, non-Chinese waffles and walk to the kitchen. Seeing him, Yixing would smile and say hello preceding Wufan's reply to him before the latter would rub his eyes and begin eating waffles. During these long twenty minutes, Yixing would spend his time staring at Wufan, and Wufan would try not to drop dead asleep on top of the golden waffles.

 

Then, Wufan would finish his breakfast, place the dishes on the sink, and backhug Yixing while thanking him.

And Yixing? Yixing would kill the cool, awesome, and easygoing guy all the group members know he can be and start saying nonsense.

 

"Wufan, you smell funny."

 

"What?" Puzzled, Wufan would release his hold on him, now wide-awake, and use his thick eyebrows to show his bewilderment. "How do I smell?"

 

"Uh...funny." We're not proud to present you ladies and gentleman, awkward-Yixing! "B-but in a good way! I mean, not that I... just... Oh look! Have you tasted this mayonaise? It's awesome! Manager-ge said we need to get to the airport at eight. Go shower!" And smiling awkwardly, Yixing would flee from the kitchen, running into one of the other members sometimes or tripping with his own shoes (forgetting to tie his shoelaces of course).

 

Cue Zitao entering the kitchen before turning a couple of times to see Yixing's retreating back and sit beside his favorite brother.

"What happened with Xingxing-ge?" Looking back at his giant friend, Lu Han could notice from his spot in the living room Wufan's eyes showing disconcern.

 

Lu Han begins to ponder. 'I wonder if he knows...'

 

"Waffles! Yay!" And at this moment, the youngest of the group would cut Wufan's train of thoughts, swallowing all of the remaining waffles and start running away from an angered dragon.

 

"Hey, you greedy panda! Those were mine!"

 

"That's what happens when you ignore me when I'm being cute!"

 

"You're never cu—" "Buing! buing!"

 

"... you, Zitao."

 

Going over the reoccuring events of the past weeks, Luhan knew if he wants to succeed in helping his best friend, he'll need reinforcements. That's why he unlocked his cellphone and pressed his first number at speed dial.

 

"Hello? Han! Good morning!"

 

"Good morning Hunnie. Is Jongin there?"

 

"Why do you want to talk to him? You always talk to me. It's because I'm younger?" Sehun questioned in outrage to his favorite hyung.

 

"Jongin's your age, Hunnie. Nevermind that. This is important. Please, hand him your phone"

 

Hearing some movement noises on the other line, Luhan could hear a faint "You, idiot! Luhan's looking for you" following by an object being thrown at someone's head. "(What the hell, Sehun?) Hyung? Hello?"

 

"Good morning, Jongin! How's your head?" laughed Lu Han, already knowing what had happened just across the Yellow Sea.

 

" you, hyung. What did you tell Sehun? That you're going to confess your undying love for me? I know this day would happen of course, but you didn't need to tell Sehun."

 

"Sure, whatever floats your boat. Listen, we're going to Seoul in three days and —"

 

"Really, hyung? Do you think I don't know? Sehun keeps a calendar, you know? Crossing each passing day with a bambi sticker. Chanyeol's all happy learning to rap faster to show Wufan-hyung. Baekhyunnie's eager to show Jongdae-hyung something "really freaky" according to him. Joonmyun's plan in being less awkward with Yixing-hyung is already in motion. How could I not know?"

 

"And you, Jongin? Are you waiting for me restless, hoping to see the handsome guy you think has an undying love for you?" Luhan asked, smirking playfully over the phone.

 

"Nah, that guy's already cooking me breakfast." Jongin, stealing a glance at his kitchen while hearing the faint humming of a guy with an apron cooking breakfast for s.

 

"Idiot," laughed Luhan. "But, listen. I need your help. Well, I think Yixing needs our help, and I think you're my best choice if I want to succeed in my plan."

 

"Why? Is he ok?"

 

"Yeah. It's just... I think he likes Wufan."

 

"So?" Jongin's innocent reply made the older rethink his decision. Looking up in front of him, he could still see Zitao and Wufan arguing and laughing in the kitchen, without a care for the world. What he was about to do may seem like nothing, but he knew he could hurt not just Yixing, but more than one of his friends in the process. Was it worth it? Turning his head towards the hallway, Lu Han just stared; not saying anything and listening Jongin's voice calling for him and asking if he was still there.

 

“Yeah, I’m here. Sorry. Can I call you later? I need to check up on something first.” Smiling slightly when Jongin started whining about the useless call and promising he’ll tell him later, Luhan stood up from the couch and walked the remaining steps to the hallway and to his bedroom. Grabbing the doorknob, he paused. What if he was wrong?

 

At first he was just curious about his best friend and wanted to help in every way possible. But now? Now that everything seemed so real, he wasn’t sure about it. Clenching his teeth, he gripped the doorknob and turned it, confident he will figure out what to do in the future.

 

At first  glance, he found Yixing sitting backwards on their desk chair spinning in circles with his head hung low — and that was normal — but then Luhan noticed his friend was whispering to himself.

 

"Why did I tell him that? Why?! Who the hell thinks someone smells funny?!  Well, he kind of was... He smelled like laundry and bed and wonderful and... I wonder if I can compose a song about that..."

 

"Eh... Xingxing?" Luhan said, closing the door behind him and seeing how his friend just stopped the chair from spinning.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Do you," Luhan wavered a bit, "want to talk to me about something...?" He sat on Yixing's bed — the one closest to their shared desk — and continued, sensing his oblivious friend needed more information to know what he was talking about. "About, you know, why you've been cooking breakfast for Wufan for the last couple of weeks?"

 

"Oh. Because he likes waffles" came the simple answer. Being honest with himself, Luhan thought Yixing would blush or start stuttering or another kind of reaction, not just answer without a care.

 

But we're talking about Zhang Yixing, so it wasn't a surprise.

 

"That's it?"

 

"Yeah. Wufan is happy when he eats waffles, so I make them for him. What's so weird about it?"

 

'Oh dear Lord’ Luhan facepalmed himself mentally. His suspicions were correct. Yixing didn’t know his own feelings for Wufan. What was he supposed to do now? Leave his best friend in blissful ignorance or help him realize… No. He needed to be completely sure first.

 

"Well, why do you want to make him happy?" It was time to test his hypothesis. If Yixing said something about being Wufan's friend, or some simple answer like that, then Luhan would start thinking about Yixing as an heteroual guy again. An heteroual idiot guy.

 

"Because he makes me happy," Yixing smiled widely, looking into space and spinning around in his chair again.

 

"You watch too many dramas with Zitao..." Smiling, Luhan looked down at his hands and knuckles, wondering when he had turned into an adult. It seemed like yesterday when he first thought about Yixing as his best friend. Now, people may tell him he looks so young, but he knows better. He sees his face every day and knows they’re not getting younger. Life's not getting easier.

Raising his head again, Lu Han’s smile widened when he stared at his friend and almost brother, watching him spin and smile softly.

 

‘If he likes Wu Fan that way, who am I to stop him?’

 

"Have you thought that maybe, just maybe, you like him as more than a friend?" Yeah, Luhan is direct like that. One needed to go straight to the main point in a conversation if you need Yixing to not start thinking about anything else while you're pouring your feelings at him. Not that that happened to Luhan before. Of course not.

 

The chair stopped again.

 

Thinking back about his actions, Yixing's colorful and random mind started working. He started thinking about how he would smile everytime he looked at his duizhang. He remembered how one night, he couldn't sleep at all because his mind wouldn't leave him alone until he wrote the song about deep eyes and expressive eyebrows he kept humming all day. He realized how safe he felt whenever he take a hold of Wufan's arm or the warm feeling of being held by the older guy. He remembered the bubbly feeling at his chest whenever Wufan smiled while eating his waffles. And how he would backhug him everytime after that.

 

Seeing Yixing deep in thought, Luhan leaned closer to his friend, expecting some kind of heavenly revelation or maybe a scream of negation. He was prepared for every possible reaction his friend may have.

 

But he definitely wasn't expecting Yixing's random response.

 

"So that's why I really liked the 'How to train your dragon' movie!" Yixing smiled. "I need to buy that DVD..."

 

And he started spinning again, like the discovery of his own uality was nothing to him.

 

Luhan just started hitting him with his pillow.


 

 

-------------


 

 

That night, Jongin received a call at three in the morning. Just when his head was going to touch his pillow after a day full of practice, performances and an interview, his damn cellphone started ringing.

Startled, the dancer sat down on his bed, quickly retrieving his phone and pressing the green button before his roommate wakes up. God knows Kyungsoo doesn’t like him very much as it is.

 

“Yes?” Whispering against his phone, Jongin stood up from his bed, leaving his room; his bare feet thankful for the carpet.

 

“Do you love Yixing?” What? Looking down at the screen, Luhan’s name flashed in bright colors, illuminating the dark corridor.

 

“Hyung? What is it?”

 

“Do you love Yixing?” The older’s voice asked again, waking up Jongin’s senses, making him realize this was a serious question. Is this somehow related to the weird call he received in the morning? “I know you two aren’t that close to each other but do you love him? Do you consider him as your brother?”

 

“Of- of course!” Jongin stopped himself on time before he could answer in nothing but a whisper. “Why? Is he ok?” A sense of alert started filling his senses. Is Yixing sick? If so, why was Luhan telling him of all people? Maybe he needed to go get Joonmyun? But Luhan’s next words made his train of thoughts stop.

 

“Would you still love Yixing if you knew he’s gay?”

 

His thoughts shut up for ten seconds. The only sounds he could hear were Luhan’s breathing and Baekhyun’s cute snores at the other side of the hallway. After those seconds passed, hundreds of thoughts and memories and voices started filling his mind. Slowly, he let himself slide against the wall until he found himself sitting on the carpet.

 

Gay? Jongin tried to remember everytime he’s passed with the older Chinese; trying to remember a moment he may have overlooked that may indicate Luhan’s words were true but none came to mind. No. Yixing couldn’t like…boys. He never stared at guys if they weren’t dancing. He never acted girly. He knows Yixing had a girlfriend he really loved in China. No.

 

“Are you done with your homophobic moment?” Luhan’s voice woke him up from his thoughts, startling him and making him realize a little noise over the phone. Luhan was laughing. He was laughing!

 

“What?” was the only word he managed to say.

 

“I’m sorry if I’m telling you this but I really need your help. Yixing likes Wufan. Are you going to help me, yes or no?

 

Well, . Wufan too?

 

More seconds in silence followed before a tiny whisper answered all the way from Korea.

 

“Yes. How can I help?”

 

Luhan smiled. He knew it was more difficult for Koreans to accept homouality, but he was glad Jongin had an open mind and was willing to accept Yixing. To help him even.

 

And maybe turn Wufan gay too.

 

"Well, I don't know if Wufan is gay — God forbid him for having that scary face — but at least I know he cares for Yixing a lot. When he's stressful from his work, he tries to ignore all of us because he knows he could punch someone in the face if we pretty much breathe too loud in his presence. And he runs to Yixing. I think our little unicorn relaxes him. I need your help figuring out if Yixing stands a chance with him."

 

"I think I can finally understand why the company gave him that animal. Haha, unicorn..."

 

"Jongin, focus!"

 

"Sorry. Nevermind, what did Yixing-hyung say about this?"

 

"What do you mean?" asked Luhan, confused. He knew he had to do something important but couldn't remember what. Maybe being roommates with his best friend was rubbing off on him.

 

"Well, what does Yixing-hyung think about us helping him?"

 

‘Oh...that's what I forgot’ Luhan thought. He smiled at his realization but frowned upon what that could possibly mean.

 

"... I haven't told him yet. But don't worry! I'll do it before we land at Seoul. OK, Jongin. Thanks! Bye!" With that, Luhan hung up on his dongseng, avoiding being scolded for not telling the subject at hand about his plans. Evil plans.

 

Poor Jongin stayed on the hallway floor, looking down at his phone and wondering what was going to happen next.

 

Because he may’ve said he’ll help Luhan, but that doesn’t mean he’s okay with it all.



----------------------------------------



Hai again! I couldn't help it. I needed to write this chapter quickly.Aaaaah! >.< 22 subscribers in less than 24 hours?! THANK YOU! :D I ALREADY LOVE YOU, YOU RANDOM PEOPLE! <3 I'm really happy I'm not the only one who likes Kray :) I mean, Taoris usually gets all the love u.u I love Taoris too (If you didn't notice that in this chapter) but something about Kris and Lay's relationship makes me all fluffy.

 

One last thing. I know I wrote on the Foreword I'm also writing Suchen, Hanhun & Kaisoo BUT, all of Exo are heteroual at this moment except Yixing of course. So if you read some pairing moments here, they're going to be as in brotherly love, all right? I'm just saying.
Don't expect me to write their undying love for each other (quoting Jongin and his wisdom) all at once. I'm more of a realistic-type of writer.

Hope you liked this chapter! If you don't, a unicorn is going to his horn inside your h... what I was going to say? Oh, nevermind.

I love you all! <3