16 Year Old Promise Broken

Demon Spawn

Your POV

I sigh when I look out my apartment when i get a call from Doojoon, right after I thought of how my life can get better once the sun rises, he said that his mother wanted me over tonight.

I had changed into a cute long sleeved black dress that is modest with black leggings, but I cover it with a black cover and slip on a scarf hoping I look like I’m dressed for dinner with my family and not a date.

9owIOqFVjdZ1FhOCWTQYWERaWmTA5iOfl0cwxMHy

I sigh when Doojoon shows up at my apartment building while I was waiting for him in the lobby.

I slip out of the room and smile at him as I run outside too him.

Together we call a taxi take it too his parents home. When they open the door to see us together we’re pulled inside.

I smile as I look Doojoon’s mother in the face, “Mom,” I whisper as I hug her.

“Mom, huh?”

I feel myself freeze in my spot hugging Mrs. Yoon too look up too see my own mother sitting on the Yoon’s couch.

“Mother,” I say to her, “it’s nice to see you after a year.”

“You’ve been hiding from us.”

“No, I was hiding from… that monster who so happens to hang out at your house.”

“You’re using that as an excuse to avoid your family.”

“Sure, let’s say that’s why I avoid you when the last time I tried to enter what would still be my home I was thrown out of it while my father called me a after my ex had done what he did.”

“That’s your father’s opinion.”

I smirk at my mother as I say, “Sure, that's why you spit in my hair. It was all my father who disowned me and you just spit in my hair too follow him.”

My mother looks at me and I notice that she has a thick layer of makeup on her face again.

“So he doesn’t have me too beat on anymore he decided to beat his own wife.”

My mother starts to look frazzled as she says, “He hasn’t beaten me ever.”

“Yeah, that’s cause I was in the picture when he started to drink. Also he has I can tell from the thick uneven layer of makeup on your face that you’re using too try to hide the bruises and few cuts. I know cause I used to do that from age 6 to age 18.”

My mother looks away from me as I lean over and wipe away from of the make up with my glove to show a bruise that is covering a month old one though this 1 was created no less than 4 days ago.

The Yoon’s are not surprised by my actions or how I’m studying the bruises like they are the most important thing in the world.

“You should have treated these. Gosh this 1 is swelling too much.”

I look at Mrs. Yoon and she nods her head as she walks into her kitchen pulling out a first aid and ice.

I force my mother too sit down as I wipe away her make up with the help of Mrs. Yoon holding my mother down for me.

I would have asked Doojoon, but I think at the moment no one of the male gender should touch her when she’s like this.

I carefully pull out all the treatments that she’ll need for her bruises.

I hand her some aleve that I had told them to stock in the apartment thanks too my friend in America sending me some every month or so.

Then I look at the ice and shake my head and pick up a washcloth, wet it, then stick it in the microwave.

When I pull it out I make my mother look at the ceiling using her head then stick it on her face.

“That’s hot,” she shouts at me as she takes it off and throws is at the counter.

“Too bad,” I scream back as I pick it up, “It’ll help reduce the swelling and pain that the bruises. I need to put ointment on your face for the cuts and such. So if I were you I’d stay still and let me treat you or I can make the pain even worse than it is now.”

I’m given a  look and she simply lets me put the washcloth that is still warm back on her face.

I treat her and I sigh when I put on the last plaster.

“There much better. Where are you staying?”

“What do you mean?”

“Mother, Mrs. Yoon is the only friend you’ve ever had since I was a lil kid. Yet, you haven’t spoken to her since Doojoon and I stopped hanging out for a few years.”

My mother looks down as she nods her head and I smile at her, “Then you’re staying at my place. I have an extra room and I need to look after you too make sure you don't go anywhere until those are healed enough.”

I’m glared at by my own mother and I sigh as I look at the Yoon’s.

“Sorry. Since I just got here, but I’m taking her back to my place. I’ll have to have dinner with you another time. Feel free to ask Doojoon for my number though.”

As I help my mother out of the apartment with her bags I sigh as we get a taxi.

My face is stuck in a straight face.

Still I smile when I get a text from Doojoon’s mother, “It’s Doojoon’s mom and I have to say I’m so proud at how much you’ve grown up in the last year. You took charge and spoke up against your mother and treated her wounds. You are really an amazing girl.”

My mother looks at me and asks, “Can we pick up some liquor?”

I shake my head as I look at her, “No, you’re going straight to bed when we get to my apartment.”

She simply pouts though I notice a small smile on her lips as she whispers, “You are so much stronger than I’d ever think you too be. Especially after what happened last year. I thought you’d be broken down and weak, but you always proved me wrong you became stronger and let the bad experiences help you grow up. It’s because of this that you are now so strong and so much grown up.”

I smile as we reach my apartment and I pay the driver.

I lead her inside looking around us careful of people walking by and seeing us.

When we reach my apartment I help my mother in and show her where she’ll be staying.

She looked behind her and smiled sadly at me as she gone into the spare room, “Good night, Chung Ae,” she had whispered.

When she’s inside I smile sadly too myself as I let the tears fall.

For the first time in my life I decide to do something I promised myself when I was 6 I’d never do.

I pick up my wallet shoving it into an inside pocket of my dress and close up my jacket and leave.

I end up at a small area where they sell liquor and I simply sit down and ask for a bottle.

I can’t believe I’m breaking a promise that is almost 16 years old because my mother showed up in my life again after a year a broken woman who needs her daughter.

I finish off a 3  bottles and feeling tipsy I figured that I need to call someone and I call the first person that comes to my mind.

“Ajjuma, another bottle please and some beef.”

She nods as she sets down a plate of meat in front of me and another bottle in front of me.

I thank her and open the bottle drinking right out of it instead of bothering pouring myself a glass after glass.

I’m almost finished with the bottle when it’s ripped from my hands.

Looking up I see Hyunseung looking peeved, “Chung Ae, what the hell are you doing?”

I shrug my shoulders as I take the bottle back from him and drink from it, “I’m letting loose. You always said I needed to do that.”

“That didn't’ mean for you to break a promise you made to yourself.”

I look at him wondering how he knew that.

“You told me idiot 1 day when I was joking about buying you a drink after we passed a few tests. You got mad and screamed at me about your promise. Now look at yourself. How many bottles have you drank?”

I glare at him as I poke his chest, “Why should it matter to you how many I drank? I need this. I need to feel numb. For once in myself I’d like to feel nothing. Too forget about all the pain.”

“Then let happiness block it out.”

I giggle at him as I poke his chest, “You make it sound like that’s all you want to do for me. Give me happiness.”

I tilt my head and giggles when a new wave of dizziness hits me.

He sighs as I let my arm hit the table then my head hit my arm and I giggle some more.

“You’re a horrible drunk,” he tells me as he calls the old lady over.

I look up at him after a minute or 2 straightening my head, “Not as bad as my dad. He’s a mean drunk. That’s how I lost my first tooth. He knocked it out the first time he hit me. My jaw was swollen for a week. I told everyone that I had been hit with something at the park.” I giggle again as I look up with him with sad puppy dog eyes, “Stupid wasn’t I. Look at where all of that protecting got me. My mother is now in my apartment beaten cause of my father, all for protecting my family. No matter what I say about them that they aren’t family too me I will always try to protect them.”

I feel Hyunseung host me up so 1 of my arms is around his neck.

He looks at me and asks, “Where is your apartment?”

“Cant’ go back. Mom will know that something is wrong. I smell,” I say an inch from his face.

Hyunseung scrunches his nose as he looks at me, “You’re right you reek of alcohol.”

I pout at him and I feel a slight wave of dizziness rush through me.

“You’re a horrible drunk, but at least you can hold it all in. Still how the hell can a girl who never drank before and so small drink 4 bottles and not pass out?”

I giggle as I look at him, “Who knows?”

I lean my head on his shoulder, “I’m so tired,” I whine and I giggle after, “You know when I was 6 I promised that I’d protect my mother. I guess I broke it.”

Hyunseung looks at me and shakes his head, “You did what you could, but what can you do when you’re thrown out of you home?”

He’s right…

What could I have done?

“God, I feel like I’m going to throw up,” I gasp as I cover my mouth.

Hyunseung panics as he takes me over too a garbage bin and I throw up in it.

When I’m finished I lean my head against Hyunseung and sigh, “I’m so tired. Just let me sleep.”

Hyunseung’s POV

What the hell am I supposed to do?

This girl fell asleep standing up after she just threw up at least a bottle or 2 of what she drank and the meat she ate.

I don’t even know where she lives.

I sigh as I look at my phone and then her.

“You always make me make hard choices don’t you?” I whisper to her and I host her up into my arms.