Finale.

Hopeless Valentine

Happily whistling a random tune while walking, Kyungsoo was making his way back to his small apartment in the quiet part of Seoul. It was one of the rare days when his boyfriend, Jongin, could actually stay at his apartment for a day. Jongin and Kyungsoo's love was actually forbidden, as Jongin comes from a rich and traditional family that holds a great authority in Korea and being traditonal, it means that they do not expect Jongin to be dating the same . And Kyungsoo on the other hand, was actually an orphan. Both his parents died when he was at a young age and he had not much recollections of his parents. No one knows about their love life, no one except Byun Baekhyun. Baekhyun was actually their only friend who they can confide in and the only one who knew and supported their romance. He'd tell the both of them everything he knew but there was just this one secret that he didn't dare to tell them.

 
He was actually in love with Kyungsoo. 
 
It was way before Jongin was even in the picture. The both of them had been friends since middle school, and on a sunny day, they had decided to go on an ice-cream date after school. While looking at Kyungsoo slowly his dripping vanilla cone, Baekhyun suddenly had the urge to lunge forward and kiss the wits out of him. It was then he realised that he liked his best friend more than he should. Of course he didn't know if Kyungsoo was actually gay or not, and he was scared that if he told Kyungsoo about his feelings, his only best friend will be disgusted by the thought and leave him. Days past by, finally Baekhyun had gathered up enough courage to confess. 
 
But it was all too late. 
 
It was during lunch break one day, Kyungsoo dragged a tall and tanned boy to the cafeteria and sat down next to Baekhyun. "Teehee... Baek ah, since you are my best friend, I would like you to meet my new boyfriend, Jongin!" Kyungsoo said as he shyly tugged on Jongin's sleeve, indicating him to say hi too. "Hello, I have heard a lot about you from Kyungsoo! Hope we can be good friends too!" Jongin said as he offered a handshake. Baekhyun froze for a second, too stunned from the sudden news, but he quickly regained his composure and could only bitterly smile and congratulate the both of them as his own heart shatter into pieces at the same time. 
 
Years had passed since that fateful day, and the three of them are in their early twenties now. "Jongin ah, it is about time for you to take over the family business now." Jongin's mother said during one sunday afternoon in the summer. Jongin knew what his mother was trying to hint, and tried to change the topic but had unfortunately failed miserably. "Do you still remember Uncle Kwon's daughter, Hae Bin?" his mother said, a grin was slowly forming on her face. "Err yeah... her.... Why?" Jongin replied. He knew what will be next but still, he prayed hard that she won't touch on that topic. "She grew up so beautifully! Look! Isn't she really beautiful!?" Jongin's mother exclaimed, as she took out some pictures of the girl and showed him. "Erm yeah, she's really pretty mum. Now will you excuse me as i need to make a trip to the bathroom." Jongin replied, but before he could stand up, his mother put a hand on his shoulder and looked at him seriously. "Son, I know you are clever enough to know what I mean when i show you her pictures. You should know that by marrying her, our business will grow and can get more recognition from the world. Haebin already agree to this marriage so i hope that you can co-operate and also agree to this." His mum stated firmly. Jongin tried to protest but his mother just glare at him. "We know what's the best for our son." she added as she stood up and left the living room, leaving Jongin no choice but to silently concede to his fate.
 
He had to kept this marriage a secret from Kyungsoo. He didn't know how to break the news to him, so he chose the easiest way out; become a jerk and lie to Kyungsoo so that he would break up with him. Of course he only told their only friend Baekhyun about this. 
 
"Are you sure you don't want to tell Kyungsoo about this?" Baekhyun asked the distressed Jongin sitting opposite him. Jongin had asked Baekhyun out to meet at the cafe that was near Baekhyun's apartment. He had told Baekhyun all about his upcoming arranged marriage and begged Baekhyun to keep it a secret from Kyungsoo. "I mean, maybe he could help you out with this? And get you out of this marriage!" He added. "No Baekhyun, you wouldn't understand..... My parents... it's better to just quietly obey them. I do not wish for anything to happen to Kyungsoo. I will feel guilty for life if my parents do something bad to him." Jongin sighed, standing up from his seat. "Baek ah, please take good care of Kyungsoo." and with that sentence, the tanned male exited the cafe, leaving Baekhyun alone. 'I hope this is a right choice, Jongin ah.'
 
Stopping in front of Kyungsoo's apartment, Jongin inhaled deeply and knocked on the door. Scurrying to the door, Kyungsoo's face lit up when he saw that it was his boyfriend waiting outside. "Jongin ah! I knew it would be you! Come in! Let us start our Harry Potter movie marathon you promised me last week!" Kyungsoo beamed as he pulled Jongin into his cosy apartment. But before he could even drag his boyfriend into the house, Jongin quickly flung his hand away. "Do Kyungsoo, I am actually here today to tell you we're through. After being with you for these few years, I feel that you are no fun anymore. Oh well to tell you the truth, I had never treated this relationship seriously. Let us just pretend that we don't know each other in the future. Goodbye." Jongin said as turned around, leaving. Kyungsoo staring wide-eyed as Jongin rushed down the stairs. He stood rooted in front of his door, mind still unable to comprehend what had just happened. Seeing Jongin hastily running away from Kyungsoo's apartment, Baek Hyun knew that something is amiss. He quickly ran to Kyungsoo apartment, only to see a dazed Kyungsoo standing at the doorway, tears streaming down his face. Baekhyun then ran up to him, pulling him into a tight hug. It was then that Kyungsoo finally let out a loud cry. His legs gave way and he tumbled to the ground, but luckily Baekhyun was there to catch him. Something shiny at the side of his door caught Kyungsoo's attention, as he stretched out his hand and grab the item, he saw that it was the couple ring that both Jongin and he had bought together. "Baek ah...he...he really left me for good.... h-how.. what should I do now..." Kyungsoo whimpered, as his cries get even louder. "After all these years being together, I thought he will be the one I want to lead my life with. But he just left me...how can I live without him..." Kyungsoo added as he burried his face into his hands. "Hush now Kyungsoo, everything's going to be okay. I am here, I am here..." Baekhyun affirmed him, as he softly rubbed the crying male's back. The only thing he could do right now was to be here for Kyungsoo and let him cry to his heart's content. 
 
A few hours passed by, and Kyungsoo finally cried himself to sleep. Baekhyun then left out a soft sigh of relief, and gently carried the sleeping male to his room. Slowly settling Kyungsoo down on his bed, Baekhyun then made himself comfortable next to him and turned to look at Kyungsoo's sleeping face. "Kyungsoo yah, I promise I wont leave you. I will always be here for you." he whispered, as he swept the fringe away from Kyungsoo's face, and slowly closed his eyes.
 
For the following weeks, Kyungsoo would either eat very little or would not eat at all. He would always lock himself up in his room and never step out unless needed. Baekhyun would visit him everyday and try his best to cheer him up. It was finally after a month and a half where Kyungsoo started to smile and returned to his normal self. Baekhyun was beyond happy when he visited Kyungsoo that day, unlocking the door to his apartment. He had been thinking on how to cheer Kyungsoo up, but was greeted by a pleasant surprise when he saw Kyungsoo making pancakes at the kitchen. "Baek ah! You're here!" he said, his heart-smile evident on his radiant face. Baekhyun was too stunned and shocked he stood rooted to the floor. Kyungsoo happily hopped towards the stunned Baekhyun and pulled him into the apartment before settling him down infront of a plate of freshly cooked pancakes. "I want to really thank you for being with me all these time when I was at the lowest point of my life ... I thought you will abandon me like he did and--" before Kyungsoo could even finish his sentence, Baekhyun had already pulled him into his embrace and gave him a tight hug. "I will forever be with you Kyungsoo, no matter where you go or where you are, I will follow you till the world's end. This may be be very sudden for you but Do Kyungsoo, will you accept me, Byun Baekhyun, as your boyfriend?" Baekhyun asked, with Kyungsoo still in his embrace. He shut his eyes tight and prayed hard in his mind, hoping that Kyungsoo will give him the answer he is expecting. It was then that he felt a small nod. Pulling Kyungsoo away, he saw the smaller male blushing hard. "I promise you, that you won't regret this decision."
 
Things were flowing smoothly for the both of them. They had multiple dates and Baekhyun had decided to move in to live with Kyungsoo a few months later.. The couple were living the best moments of their lives, it was almost like paradise.
 
But of course happy-ever-after are never link with Byun Baekhyun.
 
It was on a windy evening, 2 years later. As usual, Baekhyun was holding Kyungsoo's hands, and they were just about to go home from the supermarket. "Kyungsoo yah, did I tell you this joke before? It was about this gi--" and when Baekhyun was about to tell Kyungsoo about the new joke he found online, the sight infront of him made him drop whatever he was holding onto and the both of them stopped dead in their tracks. 
 
Kim Jongin was back.
 
He was standing infront of them. "Surprise?" Jongin waved, with a small smile playing on his face. Baekhyun quickly let go of Kyungsoo's warm hand, and immediately picked up the bags that he dropped on the floor. "Yah, Jongin! Y-You're back!" Baekhyun stuttered. He was definitely surprised about his sudden return. Just when Baekhyun thought his life with Kyungsoo was sailing smoothly, Jongin has to come back into the picture. Turning his head, he saw an equally shocked Kyungsoo looking at Jongin. His eyes was as big as saucepans, and they were about to bulge out of his sockets. Suddenly, a wide smile grew on Kyungsoo's face. "Is this for real? Jongin? Is that really you?" he said, as he took hesitant steps towards the taller male. Seeing this unfolding infront of his eyes, Baekhyun felt a throbbing pain on his chest. It was like back in the days when Kyungsoo had told him about his relationship with Jongin. 
 
It pained Baekhyun. A lot.
 
"Kyungsoo yah, now that Jongin's back, I shall return you to him. I hope you had enjoyed spending your time with me these 2 years, because I know I definitely did. I will always treasure the memories I had with you. Goodbye, friend." Not wanting to see how Kyungsoo will dump him and go back to Jongin's side, Baekhyun then quickly excused himself and dashed off in the opposite direction.
 
"Baekhyun ah!" Kyungsoo called out, and was about to chase after him but was stopped as Jongin grabbed onto his wrist. "Don't go Kyungsoo. Hear me out will you?" Kyungsoo was caught between a rock and a hard place; he wanted to go after Baekhyun, but at the same time, he wanted to hear why did Jongin dump him 2 years ago. After pondering for a while, he decided to listen to what Jongin had got to say. He nodded his head at Jongin, indicating him to speak.
 
"2 years ago, my parents forced me to marry this girl solely for business purposes."Jongin began. "Of course, I was too young then and was afraid to disobey them. I didn't dare to tell you the truth 2 years ago because I knew you would try to find ways to stop the marriage, but knowing how powerful my parents are, I couldn't risk them hurting you, hence I have no choice but to break up with you. I had already divorced her a few days ago and was out to find you. I told my parents about my ual orientation, how I prefer male over female. They didn't took it that well at the start but after proving to them that my ual orientation will not affect the company in anyway by building a new business on my own successfully, they had slowly accepted that their son is gay." he added. Suddenly he took out something from the back pocket, and got down on one knee infront of Kyungsoo. 
 
"Do Kyungsoo, I hope this is not too much to ask for but, will you marry me? I will make up for the lost time and promise not to make you sad again." Jongin's sudden proposal left Kyungsoo lost and dumbfounded. He wasn't prepared at all for his return and much less his proposal. 
 
"I'm sorry Jongin ah, but I have to reject your proposal. Yes, I'm not going to lie that your proposal did touched my heart but you had been missing from my life for the two years, and I had already erased my feelings for you. Baek is always there for me, helping me out of my darkest period. Not going to lie but, I have already fallen hard for him. I enjoy our time together and will always treasure those precious memories. I know you will be able to find a better love out there other than me, and I hope we can still be friends. Now excuse me, but I have to go find the one I really love now." Kyungsoo replied, slowly wiggling his hand out of Jongin's grasp. "I guess my decision two years before was really wrong. Kyungsoo yah, I'm happy that you have found the one you truly love. Hah, let's not make this a clingy and sad goodbye! I bet I will be able to find a better love soon! Good luck to you Kyungsoo!" Jongin said, giving Kyungsoo a bitter smile before letting him go. Kyungsoo then gave a warm smile in return as he gave a goodbye hug and ran off towards the direction where Baekhyun went, hoping that he could catch up with him.
 
"BYUN BAEKHYUN!" Kyungsoo shouted, when he saw Baekhyun's dejected form squatting on the ground, infront of their apartment. Baekhyun then quickly wiped away a stray tear on his cheek using the back of his hand before Kyungsoo could see it, and quickly beamed a small smile at Kyungsoo. "Yah Kyungsoo! Why are you here? Where's Jongin? So did you guys got back together? I guess you guys did. Congrats!"  he bitterly said, trying to keep the smile on his face. Even if his heart was breaking, Baekhyun couldn't be selfish and not congratulating his friends. Kyungsoo then gave him a loopsided grin before pulling him up from his original position and then gave the shocked brunette a tight hug.
 
"After these 2 years, I finally sorted out my feelings. I was actually a bit glad that Jongin initiated that breakup 2 years back. All along, you were the one for me. When all the doors in the world close, you were there for me. You are the one, you are my savior." Kyungsoo declared. 
 
"B-but, I thought the one you love is Jongin....?" Baekhyun replied, praying in his mind that all these wasn't a dream. 
 
"Yea, he was the one I once loved deeply, but that was all in the past. Byun Baekhyun, you are my present and you will be my future too. I love you and will always do." Kyungsoo said, as he pulled back and place a small peck on Baekhyun's cheek.

 

====================================================================================

Finally finished with this fic! Took longer than what I had expected! And a holy 15k++ words?! Guess this is the longest one shot i had ever written! And finally some baeksoo failed fluff (with failed angst too...lol)~~

Thanks to all the wonderful subbers who subbed to this fic, hopefully it didn't disappoint you guys! 

Bye-yeom!