Saving Niel

To Teacher, From Student, With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0hiQJWeRtk

Huh Gak- One Person

----

School was slow again. The students were tempted to fall back into laziness, but Sohee kept them in line.

It was a gray Thursday. The dark clouds foreshadowed a dark thunderstorm approaching.

Sohee entered classroom 3-5. She set her folders on the podium and lightly tapped her stick on the board. The boys stopped chatting immediately. “Let’s get right to it then.” Sohee cleared and called attendance. “Ahn Dookyung.” She called. “Here!” He raised his hand with a jovial grin.

“Ahn Daniel.” Sohee called. There was no reply.

“Daniel?” She looked up, expecting him to smirk up at her. However, his seat was empty.

Sohee blinked. This was the second time he was absent. A feeling of dread crawled up her skin.

“Where…is Daniel?” Sohee looked to his friends for an answer.

CAP looked distressed, and that frightened her. “We don’t know, ssem…” Chunji shrugged. “He didn’t tell us anything.”

L. Joe just stared at Niel’s vacant desk.

Something was wrong. Sohee could feel it.

Slightly trembling, she called out the next name in a strangled voice.

During free time, Sohee stood by the window in the office and looked out at the grey, daunting clouds. She wrapped her arms around herself with random thoughts floating in her mind. Mostly, she wondered about Niel. Why hadn’t he come today? Did his father hurt him again?

There was a gentle tap on the door. Sohee turned around.

L. Joe’s blonde hair stuck inside. “Can I talk to you for a moment, ssem?”

“Come in, Byunghun.” Sohee motioned. He came inside.

“Shouldn’t you be in PE though?” She asked.

“I asked for a pass. I had to talk to you urgently about something.” L. Joe said. Sohee gave him a puzzled look.

“It’s about Niel.” He revelaed. Her face blanched. “I-Is there something wrong? Please don’t tell me his father hurt him again.” Her heart dropped heavily at the thought.

“That’s the thing. I don’t know…” L. Joe bit his bottom lip.

Sohee swallowed hard. She hoped she was wrong. *That wicked man.*

“Ssem. Do you know…what day it is today?” He whispered.

Sohee checked the calendar. “It’s April 16.”

“It’s Niel’s birthday.” L. Joe said. Her eyes rounded, and she stared at him in astonishment. “His birthday?!”

L. Joe nodded sadly. “Is…that why he’s not at school? Because he’s out celebrating?” Sohee would rather he was having fun than being beaten by his father.

“I don’t think so. Niel doesn’t really like to celebrate his birthday. I think…I think something happened.” L. Joe bit his bottom lip. “His father doesn’t remember his birthday, and Niel is only not at school if something bad happened to him.” He looked at Sohee with desperate hopelessness. “Ssem, I’m scared. Niel never tells us anything because he’s ashamed to reveal his weak side. But we’ve known him long enough. He’s petrified of his father, and he won’t go against that awful man.”

“Did you talk to him about it?” Sohee asked.

“It’s useless. The idiot refuses to open up to us about his family.” L. Joe muttered. He glanced at Sohee. “That’s where I was hoping you would come in, ssem. When I asked you to save him, I wasn’t being sarcastic. He’s always playing the superhero, but this time, I think he needs a superhero himself. Niel hasn’t opened up to anyone besides the five of us. But…I’ve seen the way he interacts with you. Niel…has changed because of you.”

“Changed? How…?” Sohee whispered, intrigued.

L. Joe shook his head. “I don’t know how to describe it. I just know that he’s…happier. He smiles often, and he likes to be with you, ssem. He likes you.”

“L-likes me?” She was startled.

“I’ve known Niel for a long time. I’ve never seen him be kind to anyone. He’s not even that generous to us, an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter