Quality Time

To Teacher, From Student, With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6yPWZqyZL0&feature=related

Baek Ji Young- After a Long Time

----

Today was the last day of school before the official vacation began. The class was buzzing with excitement.

Sohee entered the classroom, and the students sat up in anticipation. “You have our exam grades, right, ssem?!”

“I do.” She nodded.

“What did we get?!”

“Did we pass?!”

“Can we know our grades now?!”

“Later, after lecture.” Sohee promised, earning a begrudging moan from the students. The students were antsy as they waited for their results. “And that concludes our last lecture before the winter holidays.” Sohee shut her book.

“TELL US THE RESULTS!” The students exclaimed.

Sohee lowered her chin and narrowed her eyes. “Please!” They added. With an approving small smile, she began to pass the exams out. Everyone held their breaths as they waited for their results. There were gasps, cheers, and bewildered looks on their faces.

Sohee approached the front and spun around to face her stunned, yet happy classroom. “Congratulations. Twenty-six of you actually passed the exam.” “WAHOO!” The students burst into a joyful cheer. “Five of you actually achieved A’s. Ten of you received B’s. And the rest of you barely managed to pass. I’m proud of you.” Sohee smiled.

Suddenly, Kiwoo said, “Wait, did you say twenty-six of us passed?” Sohee nodded.

“Aren’t there twenty-eight students in our class?” Hojin asked. “Two, unfortunately, did not pass.” She explained.

The students looked around to see who were the unlucky ones. CAP roared, “STOP STARING AT ME, DAMMIT! I PASSED WITH A 71!” They ducked at his volume and glanced around. “Then who…?”

Two boys were sitting at their desks with their heads buried in their arms.

“Oh man.”

“ for them.”

“Too bad! They can’t join our party!” The others cheered insensitively.

“Where and when is the party, ssem?!” Hojin asked.

“This Saturday. I reserved at Gusto Pizzeria in Insadong at six. Don’t be late.” Sohee left the classroom.

“HECK YES!” The passing students happily celebrated.

“Did you hear that?! We get to see Prune on a weekend!” CAP cheered and hi-fived Chunji. Niel smirked widely. He was deliriously happy as well. He was worried that he wouldn’t be able to see her during the holiday. Now, he had something to look forward to. Niel glanced at his test and looked in the back where he had written a note to her.

Dear Teacher,

Did I pass the exam?

Yes or no?

Am I invited to the party?

Yes or no?

Your student,

Niel

He had drawn four boxes for her to mark under each question. There were two check marks drawn on the ‘yes’ boxes. Below his letter, was a response from her.

Welcome to the party, Ahn Daniel. Good job for passing. I knew you could do it.

Niel smiled widely. He found strength just by the fact that someone believed in him.

-------

During break, Sohee called the two students who had not passed into her room. “Hong Daehyo. Yoon Jay. The two of you missed the passing mark by about ten points. What went wrong?” They just stared at the floor in rejection.

“I’m not scolding you. I’m asking you.” Sohee gently said. “I know the two of you studied hard. I witnessed the two of you studying in the library. Daeho, you even came to my office during lunch to clarify some points.”

“I got mixed up.” He mumbled. “Me, too.” Jay sighed.

Sohee studied the both of them. “Since the two of you were the only ones that didn’t pass, I have an essay for you to do over break. If you do this, you will be able to make up some points that you lost for this exam. Okay?” They nodded silently. “Good. You may go.” Sohee said. They bowed and turned to leave with heavy shoulders.

“By the way, Daeho and Jay,” She called. They stopped and turned around.

Sohee flashed them a warm smile. “Six o’clock at Gusto Pizzeria in Insadong. Come with empty stomachs so you can eat a lot. I heard their pizza is the best.”

Daeho and Jay brightened. “Really, ssem?! We can come to the party?!”

Sohee laughed, “Yes, you sillies. Surely you didn’t think I would leave both of you out.”

“THANK YOU, SSEM!” Daeho and Jay hugged her.

Sohee smiled and patted their backs. “I want the two of you to work hard on the essay over break! You hear me?”

“Yes, ssem!” They saluted with goofy grins. Happily, they jogged off.

Sohee smiled and shook her head. *Those adorable kids.* With a sigh of content, Sohee began to prepare for her next class.

Niel had watched the entire thing from outside. He leaned against the wall with an affectionate smile. *I knew you were too soft to not invite them. Oh, Prune ssem. What will we do with you? How did someone so loving get sent to dirtbags like us? Maybe you can be our Christmas miracle. For once, Christmas will be worthwhile.*

With a smile sent her way, Niel vanished down the hallway.

----

Saturday night, all twenty-eight students of classroom 3-5 gathered at the reserved tables at Gusto Pizzeria. They were asking for refill after refill, annoying the waiters who struggled to be polite to their young, unruly customers.

“Hey, where’s Prune ssem?” Hojin asked.

“What if this is all a big joke? She made the reservations, but she isn’t actually going to show up?” Jaesuk questioned.

“Then we have to pay for all this?! !” The students began to panic.

“CALM THE DOWN.” Niel boomed in his commanding voice. Instantly, the students shut up. “I’m sure Prune is coming so just sit down and quit talking so damn loud. You’re embarrassing everyone.” Niel ordered. The boys quietly sipped their drinks and glanced at each other.

“I gotta piss.” Taegun got up and went to the restroom.

“Do you think she really ditched us?” Chunji asked worriedly. “She better come. I didn’t buy a new shirt for nothing.” CAP glanced down at his new polo shirt he had bought yesterday. “She’ll come. Just be patient.” L. Joe sipped on his cola.

Niel craned his neck and looked around. *Don’t let me down, ssem. I believe in you.*

“What do you think she’ll be wearing?” CAP asked. Niel looked at him.

“Will she still be in those stiff working clothes? As hot as they are, I prefer it if she wears something short and revealing.” CAP said. “How about nothing at all?” Chunji chuckled. “That’s what I’m talking about!” CAP hi-fived him, and they laughed loudly.

L. Joe rolled his eyes, clearly not amused. *I don’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter