Blossoming

The Flower Boy

 

 

~*{Chapter One: Blossoming}*~

 

 


 

~*~

Baekhyun gazed up at the grey skies that shown above as he let the soft rain drops beat against his skin- feeling every drop; yet feeling absolutely nothing. His eyes showed no life, no light, as he walked slowly along the sidewalk. From head-to-toe, he was  drenched and he walked with unsteady steps- knowing where he wanted to go, but forgetting how to get there. 

These days were hell for him and he knew he wasn't going to last very long. The self-detest and self-pity were eating him alive- and he was only just a youth 19 years of age. The numbness seemed to have already settled in his body as he walked through the crowded streets without regards to who he bumped in to. 

When his feet came to a stop, he inhaled softly. He let his eyes scan over the old, wooden sign that read Soo's Floral Shop. The sign, worn away by the years, hung at a slanted angle due to a missing henge. 

He slowly pushed the door open and his ears rung with the sound of the old door creaking as he walked into the shop. The sharp scent of flowers, mix with a hint of dust, flooded Baekhyun's nostrils and he let his eyes wander around the dimly-lit room. 

Bright flowers, some slightly wilting, were placed in bundles along the shop.  A small group of Calendula flowers caught Baekhyu's eyes and he walked towards them. The bright orange petals seemed to glow and Baekhyun couldn't resist the urge to run his finger tips softly across them- enjoying the fleeting feeling he received from them. 

"Would you like those flowers?" a soft voice cut through the silence and Baekhyun turned around. His eyes landed upon a short male who held bright blue Forget-Me-Nots in his arms. The sight of the male caused Baekhyun's eyes to dilate and his numb heart fluttered ever-so-slightly, but enough to where Baekhyun noticed. 

The male was delicate looking, resembling that of a new blossoming flower, and his skin was a milky white that stood out even in the dim light of the shop. His hair was jet black, contrasting well with his light skin and his eyelashes casted a soft shadow over his cheekbones. His brown eyes were round and deep, his lips were plump and had a soft pink rosy color. The color seemed slightly lacking in his fluffy cheeks and dark shadows seem imprinted under his eyes. A soft smile graced his lips as he made his way slowly to Baekhyun. 

 

"May I help you with something?" His voice was soft and it rung, loudly, in Baekhyun's ears as he stared down a the male.

"Flowers. I need flowers." 

A small laugh left his lips as he smiled at Baekhyun. " Well, obviously. This is a flower shop. Is there a particular flower you're looking for?" 

Baekhyun frowned his eyebrows as he racked his brain. "Flowers for a funeral."

The smile on the male's face seemed to fall slightly before a sadden one replaced it on his lips. "I see. You're looking for departure flowers...... How about these?"

The male sat his Forget-Me-Nots on a nearby counter before picking up a bundle of light pink and purple Sweat Pea flowers. They looked fresh and glowed brightly. 

"These flowers are often a symbolism for departure. Though usually on a lighter note, they're still quite beautiful." 

Baekhyun gave a soft nod as he lets his fingers glide over the soft petals. "How much?"

"Free."

Baekhyun's head snapped up- expecting to see signs of sarcasm, but only seeing signs of sincerity. "You don't mean to tell me that you are giving these to me for free,do you?"

"Yes. Yes I do. "

Confusion twisted Baekhyun's features as he stared at the Sweat Pea flowers. "Why...?"

" I do not get many costumers anymore, so it'll be alright if you take these for free. After all, it is for a funeral. Take it as a sign of my condolences. I do not know who it is that you've lost, but I can clearly see the pain ripping through your eyes and you know what they say about eyes- they're the window to our hearts. So, will you take these?"

Baekhyun hesitated as he stared down at the shop keeper who seemed to glow brighter than the flowers. "A-Alright....."

"Okay. It will take a few minutes to wrap them, so do feel free to sit on a stool." The male quickly turned and disappeared through a back door.

Baekhyun allowed himself to take a seat on a nearby stool as he listened to the shuffling that could be heard from the back door. A few minutes passed before the male emerged from the back. He extended the newly wrapped flower towards Baekhyun as he flashed a small smile.

"Here you go."

"Thank you." Baekhyun replied as he took the flowers, but as he did- his fingers brushed the shopkeeper's slightly and it sent a small jolt through him. 

"You're welcome. Oh and take this," The shopkeeper hurried to the back and returned with a bright yellow small umbrella. "It's sill raining outside."

"Thank you." Baekhyun said, as he took the umbrella from the shopkeepers hand.

"You're welcome." 

Baekhyun exchanged gazes with him before turning to leave the shop. Right before he walked out he turned around and met the eyes of the shopkeeper's. "May I know your name?"

Shock flickered in his eyes, but he eventually smiled brightly. "My name is Do Kyungsoo. "

"My name is Byun Baekhyun. Well Kyungsoo, is it alright if I come back tomorrow?"

"Of course. The doors of my shop are always open."

This time, a small smile found it's way to Baekhyun's lips as readied his umbrella. " Alright. Goodbye."

"Goodbye. I'll see you tomorrow." 

 

~*~