The Cornered Thief

Tears of a Phoenix

 

You can’t just leave him there. Only one sentence is stuck in your mind. Yong Guk is a good guy. You trace a cross on the leaves, just as you did with Jongup. Out of the corner of your eye, you see a flash of a shadow. It’s probably Daehyun, you think to yourself. You regret everything you have done. You regret doubting Yong Guk, almost leaving him to starve. You regret relying on others, making them risk their lives for you. You simply want all that to end.

Tears trickle down your cheeks; plump tears of sadness, tears of regret. You simply cry until night came again, just like you did with Jongup. As you wipe away your last tear, you hear a shuffle of leaves. ‘I know you’re there Daehyun!’ you scream out as loud as you can. ‘If you’re here to kill me, go right ahead! I deserve it!’

As you brush a leaf off Yong Guk’s hair, you hear a loud snicker. The next thing you know, Daehyun is on the other side of Yong Guk’s body. He still looks the same; sparkling blonde hair, gun in his left pocket, arms splattered with blood, this time, more than before.

‘Told you we’ll be meeting again,’ he says grinning. ‘Like I’m happy to see you…’ you grumble back. You can’t think of anything to say to him. Your mind is blank, your eyes are filled with tears and your arms and legs are shaking too much to stand.

As you take a deep breath, you remember Yong Guk’s words that had stabbed into your heart. The words that he replied so simply when you asked a question you could never find the answer to. ‘Do what you like, love what you do.’

As you kept thinking, the same words that appeared in your head after your best friend died reappeared again. It flashed across your mind, burning into your heart. ‘Revenge’, You would love to have revenge for your best friend’s death. You love have revenge. Never in your life has the taste of revenge ever been so sweet to you. You smile and look up at Daehyun.

You notice that his smirk fades a little. You feel that he knows what you are going to do. You see his arms tense up and his hand wandering up to his left pocket. The second his finger touches the gun, you stand up and slap him across the face with all the strength you can muster. ‘Don’t lay that dirty finger of yours on any of my friends anymore!’ you scream. Daehyun seems to be so shocked at what you have done, he freezes.

You take that moment and quickly reach out to take the gun. This is the first time you have ever held a gun. You don’t even know how to use it. So you simply point it at him. Daehyun falls to his knees, his hands searching for something in his pockets. As you continue pointing the gun at him, you notice a smile form on his face as he finds something.

Daehyun looks up at you and takes out a vial full of what seems to be black powder. ‘I surrender, you win,’ he says, a smile still visible on his face. ‘If you let me free and allow me to live, I will give you these ashes.’ He puts the vial in front of you and watches you silently, still smiling.

What were these ashes for? Are they special in some way? But what you need to be thinking about now is whether you should shoot Daehyun or not.

If you decided to shoot Daehyun, please head here. 

If you decided to take the ashes and ask what they are used for, please click here.