Do what you like, and love what you do

Tears of a Phoenix

 

You brush leaves off your back and he pulls you up. ‘Yong Guk,’ says the voice. .’My name is Yong Guk.’ He flashes a big smile and flicks leaves off your hair. In shock, you step back and hear the crunch of dry leaves. Déjà vu? Why did this situation feel so similar? You look up and see the smile again.

Yong Guk’s smile reminds you of the way that Jongup always smiles. If you hadn’t blinked, they would have fallen out. Would he turn out to end up like Jongup? You turn your back on him and start walking away. He doesn’t say anything but the crunch of leaves behind you tells you that he is following you.

Night is falling again and the crunching of leaves never stops as you walk down the seemingly never ending forest. You don’t know what to do next. You don’t have anywhere to turn back. You don’t have a place to call home. ‘I don’t know what to do,’ you call out the sky as the moon rises high in the sky. ‘Do what you like, and love what you do,’ replies the moon. But the voice didn’t come from the moon.

It came from behind you. You turn around and see Yong Guk smiling at you. His face looks slightly tired and dirty and his pants are ripped. He was always following you the whole time. You give him your famous ‘What the hell are you doing here?’ look and turn back. ‘I don’t have somewhere to go too,’ he says.

The crunch of the leaves tell you that you he’s walking towards you. You keep walking forward. ‘Let me come with you. I like helping people, I love what I do,’ he says simply, but you can hear a hint of urgency in his voice.’