Tears of a Phoenix

Tears of a Phoenix

 

The black phoenix. Its eyes are tantalising. But the aura around it seemed to emit an air of maliciousness. As if anyone who got close to it would die a painful death. ‘Sorry,’ you stutter. ‘Maybe save this for another time? I’m kind of busy.’ You are about the scoop your phoenix into your arms and run away but Himchan’s voice speaks loudly in your ear; just like he was next to you.

‘Run away are we?’ he sneers. ‘This magical act would only take a few minutes away from your busy schedule. All you have to do is simply watch.’ You couldn’t think of anything to argue against that. ‘Well, if you… insist.’ But you still stand a bit away from him, with plenty of ways to escape.

Himchan’s smile widens. ‘You shall regret nothing. I promise you. But, why not move a bit closer, you wouldn’t be able to see the details from there.’ You take a tiny step forward, keeping your eyes on him. Suddenly, Himchan pulls a rope.

Crash! Rustle! Shriek! A cage made of what seemed to be branches traps you. You could kick it open; they are branches. You step back and lunge forward, kicking as hard as you can. The branch breaks but it reveals an iron hard core. ‘I’m so sorry,’ Himchan smiles innocently. ‘I disguised the strongest metal known to man-kind with branches. But I guess you can’t run away now.’

He kicks the body next to him so that it would roll over. And, staring up towards the limitless skies is Jongup. You are too scared to scream. This… this wretched… monster! He shows up with this evil phoenix and cages you up, and he is thinking of bringing Jongup back to life?

But there is nothing you can do, the only option you have is to shut your eyes and block your ears. Unfortunately, your curiosity beats you and you simply stand there, frozen. Himchan raises his hand. Everything seems to move in slow motion as the black phoenix swoops onto Jongup. A single tear falls from its eye. But it isn’t a pure, crystal tear as the other phoenixes.

It is inky, murky and black. Evil seems to be the only thing that came to one’s mind when you see it. It is thick as blood, swallowing any light as it drips down. As it touches Jongup’s skin, it spread; faster than a wildfire. It covers up his body, soaking into his clothes; and as quickly as it spread, it disappears, sinking into his skin.

At first, it was his eyes, they blink. Then, his legs, they moved. Then his whole body stood up. It is truly a miracle; but a miracle of black magic. Jongup simply stands there, but his face was as friendly as ever. The beautiful smile painted across his face never seemed to fade. ‘It’s you,’ he spoke. ‘That girl.’ Jongup opened his arms; he wanted a hug. The cage lifted, your feet move a few steps towards him.  But there is something wrong. His voice, it doesn’t seem right. It is… hoarse, tired, and just… different.

So who really is this Jongup who just came back to life? Do you accept his welcome hug? Do you fall into his arms sobbing hysterically at his life brought back?

If you decide to hug him, fall into his arms by clicking here. 

Or if you reject him, please click here.