The Beginning

Tears of a Phoenix

 

Golden light twinkled in front of you. You knew it was close but your arm was too heavy to reach out to it. Scars across your body oozed out blood. As your eyes slowly shut, you felt drops of liquid fall onto your wounds; healing them. Those were the tears of a phoenix.

Your heart feels like it’s going to stop beating. Your lungs are going to burst. Yet, your legs can’t stop running. You don’t know where to go. You don’t have anywhere to go back. You can only move forward. You slow down as you feel a stitch, and take a seat on the curb.  

Tears start to run down your face. Tears full of emotion; of sadness, depression, anxiety… they all free fall down. You wish they could just go away, taking emotions with them, taking memories away with them. You can never forget the face; the face of a best friend which turned into a grotesque work of slaughter.

Revenge. You repeat the simple word again in my mind. Liking the sound of that? You stand up again, slowly walking up the eerie street, the word ‘revenge’ flashing across your mind. But after a few minutes, your legs start to wobble. Your heart pounds on your ribcage. Your lungs gasp in air. The last thing you see before falling to the ground is a bright light suddenly shining on you.

You wake up on somewhere comfy. As you gingerly open your eyes, through the blurriness you can make out a smiling face. The smile reminds you of your best friend. ‘Revenge,’ you mutter as you try to get your mind around what is happening.