Reunion

Chanyeol's Epic Fail

 

“Chanyeol?”

“BAEKHYUN!?”

My eyes flutter open, and their movement is reciprocated through the rest of my body tenfold. My legs and arms are failing about, and I almost fall off the bed but Byun Baekhyun is quick to catch me.

“Chanyeol, I’m so sorry!”

I feel his tears on my shoulder; he’s soaking his way through this ugly blue smock thing that the doctor demanded I wear.

Chanyeol. Byun Baekhyun’s here.

What.

What.

WHAT?

Cue Orca Whale sounds.

“Byun Baekhyun why are you here? I thought you hated me.”

Baekhyun breathes in the scent of my hair and runs his hands soothingly down my back.

“No, Chanyeol. I don’t hate you. I love you! I love you so much that I didn’t want to hurt you. Guess I ended up doing that anyway.”

Baekhyun laughs sarcastically.

“Huh?”

I’m clueless until I look down at my now wrapped up wrists.

Oh.

“I suppose I fail at everything, including committing suicide, huh?” I ask him dryly.

Byun Baekhyun gives me a look as he works his way from the little wooden chair sitting next to the hospital bed into my embrace, weaseling his way under my covers.

 

 


When I woke up before I didn’t really remember much.

Sehun was there, so was Luhan and Kai. Kai had told me Kyungsoo was off cooking kimchi so he could bring it in and feed me it when I woke up, which turned out to be a fail on his part because the kimchi would no longer be warm when he finally carted it here.

It’s the thought that counts.

I supposed I had bumped my head really hard on something or basically just tripped over my feet and broken my arm on something (which so often happens it’s not even that funny).

Sehun doesn’t say anything, just sits there staring at me.

“What do you remember?” he asks. I shrug.

“Not much.”

You can almost hear the clogs turning in their places.

“SHUT UP BRAIN!”

Luhan giggles hysterically.

“What?”

“Good old Park Chanyeol’s back!” Kai runs over and gives me a hug.

A thought pops into my head.

“Hang on, I’m supposed to go out with Byun Baekhyun tonight, aren’t I? Where is Baekhyun?”

Suddenly the floor appears very interesting to the other occupants of the room.

“What?”

Silence.

“Seriously guys, I just tripped over and knocked myself out? Happens all the time, right? Right?”

Sehun breaks the silence.

“That was seven days ago.”

I gasp.

“Oh no! Baekhyun’s going to think I’m a total douche for standing him up like that, what should I do, Sehun?”

“You went, Chanyeol. He dumped you. Then you did this to yourself.”

He trails his hand under the covers and pulls out my arm. All the way up my arm is covered with a cast.

I think I’m going to ignore what he said about Byun Baekhyun breaking up with me.

Good idea.

“I broke my arm? Did I fall off a ride or something?”

Sehun looks like he’s about to yell at me.

“Chanyeol, you tried to kill yourself.”

“What?”

“You were distraught. Byun Baekhyun dumped you. Sehun was lucky he found you when he did, otherwise we could have lost you.”

“Luhan what are you saying?”

One word passes through Kai’s lips.

“Suicide.”

It’s still processing now, to be honest.
 

 

 


“So why did you break up with me if you love me, Byun Baekhyun?” I ask finally.

It’s been quiet for too long, and I can just about feel Sehun and Kai’s presence pacing the hallways outside. I can tell they're mad, they're fuming, they want to ram a cactus up Byun Baekhyun's mighty fine .

They were reluctant to let Baekhyun in with his bucket of sunflowers that are now sitting on my bedside table.

He tells me they remind him of me; a sunshine person, a flower that strains its way towards the Sun.

I believe him.

“God Chanyeol, I love you so much. But… I didn’t think it could work, me having a career and you…” Baekhyun pauses.

“Go on.”

“I made a stupid mistake. My manager said I should stop seeing you and focus on my career. I shouldn’t have listened to him. He knows nothing of love.”

“So you picked your career over me?” I ask.

“Please don’t say it like that-“

“But you did.”

I am quick to cut him off.

Byun Baekhyun’s face is ashen.

“I’m not proud of it, Park Chanyeol,” he tells me.

“I made the biggest ing mistake of my life, and I’d do anything to change my decision. I’d give up my career for you!”

Byun Baekhyun is sobbing loudly on my shoulder.

“You’d do anything for me?”

“Anything.”

I looks deeply into his eyes and I am astounded by the ferocity and determination that flash within them.

I give Byun Baekhyun a small smile.

“When I’m discharged, we play video games.”

Byun Baekhyun gives a small smile.

“Of course.”

I think for a minute.

“Why does it look like someone rammed a rock into your face?”

“You have very protective friends.”

Note to self, Chanyeol. Never get on Oh Sehun’s bad side.