Fireworks

Chanyeol's Epic Fail

 

“Chanyeol?”

“Yeah, it’s me…”

“It’s Baekhyun. Are you ready to go out?” I flush.

“Yeah,” I whisper delicately into the phone.

“I’ll be over in ten minutes!”

He hangs up.

I pace my room, once again looking for something appropriate to wear. Jeans would be comfortable.

But it’s an amusement park, and if there’s any water rides I don’t want to get all wet and stuck waiting for it to dry.

Shirt and three quarters?

Hmm, maybe?

Quick to dry and comfortable.

But it is a night thing, brain.

Yeah, you’ll survive. It’s almost Summer so you should be fine.

Byun Baekhyun knocks on my door and I run out to him, pulling him into a huge hug as Sehun just rolls his eyes and shuts the door behind me.

“Ready?” Baekhyun asks. I nod, taking his hand.

The car ride to the amusement park is spent in silence. It’s nice, but there’s something in the air; something that makes me feel uneasy.

“Baekhyun, is something wrong?”

Byun Baekhyun gives me a small smile and continues to watch the road in silence.

“Baekhyun?”

“Nothing’s wrong.”





“Chanyeol, how about we ride on that?” Byun Baekhyun takes my hand in his, leading me across to a rollercoaster.

He’s smiling. Nothing is wrong.

Keep trying to convince yourself, Chanyeol.

“Chanyeol? Rollercoaster?” Byun Baekhyun points to a snaking metallic monstrosity towering above us.

“Are you sure? It looks scary!” I tell him.

Byun Baekhyun lets out a melodious laugh.

“We don’t have to ride it if you’re too scared!” he pokes his tongue out at me. I giggle.

“As if I’d be scared!”

Byun Baekhyun then goes off on a monologue on all the times he’s seen me scared, not leaving out a single detail.

“Thanks for that.” I tell him.

Byun Baekhyun chuckles.

“That’s what I like about you!” Baekhyun kisses my cheek and drags me up to the booth. As it’s the middle of the week, not many people are around so we get to walk straight on.

“Sure you’re not scared?” Baekhyun asks as we get in the seats.

“Sure I’m sure!” I shout.

Soon we are off, doing loop-de-loops, hanging upside down, rolling backwards, travelling at speeds that I don’t think are particularly sane.

I am screaming, a look of fear etched on my face.

“Close your eyes!” Baekhyun yells at me.

I do so, and I feel lips on mine. I have no idea how Byun Baekhyun has manages to weasel his way around the safety restraints to kiss me, but I don’t care.

His lips are reassuring, I feel like I’m floating on air.

And I almost am with how this rollercoaster ride has turned out to be.



“What about that next?”

Byun Baekhyun is enthusiastic, dragging me over to the dodgem cars. I nod enthusiastically.

“Yes!”

I laugh so hard I almost cry each time I ram into Byun Baekhyun’s little car. It’s funny because I don’t even have my license, yet my skills on the dodgems seem to eclipse Byun Baekhyun’s tenfold, and he actually can drive.

“That was fun!” Baekhyun yells at me as he jumps out of his car, wrapping his arms around my middle.

“Where to next?”

As if on cue, my stomach growls.

“Food?” Baekhyun laughs.

I nod.

We walk over to buy some kimbap for the two of us, and he leads the way up to the grassy hill that sits just up a bit from the rides.

Couple’s Hill.

It’s getting cool, and I feel myself shivering. We sit down on the grass and look up at the sky.

Byun Baekhyun takes off his jacket and places it on my shoulders, a comical sight as he’s so much smaller than me, and it only protects half of my body.

“Cold?”

I shrug.

“Well, I can warm us up.”

Baekhyun leans in to me, pressing himself as closely as he can against me. We sit quietly as we both shovel the kimbap into our waiting stomachs.

I jump as a loud sound reverberates cross the atmosphere.

“What was that?” I squeak.

Byun Baekhyun merely chuckles, pointing upwards to the sky.

“Fireworks.”

I smile wildly.

Colours, everywhere.

Red, green, blue, yellow, different patterns and swirls across the sky, different shapes and sizes.

I can hear the sounds of children squealing happily flitter up to our spot on the hill from below, as kids point up at the sky and giggle with delight.

I let my mouth gape open as I watch the fireworks.

They roar mightily as they cascade through the sky in a blur of radiating light, commanding the full attention of the amusement park’s customers.

I turn to Byun Baekhyun and he is smiling too, but he looks sad.

His eyes begin to water.

“Baekhyun?”

No response.

“Baekhyun?”

He turns his head and looks at me intensely.

“There’s something wrong.”

Byun Baekhyun looks like he will break into tiny pieces if I touch him.

“Park Chanyeol, I’m sorry.”

I furrow my brows.

I don’t understand.

Byun Baekhyun continues in a small voice.

“I have to let you go…”

“What do you mean?”

“I love you, but we can’t…”

My heart is beating a million miles an hour, and I know Byun Baekhyun can feel it rattling against his skin.

“What are you saying?”

Byun Baekhyun has tears running down his cheeks now, and he’s sobbing uncontrollably.

“I’m sorry.”

Byun Baekhyun gets up and runs back down the hill. I sit there and watch his figure get smaller and smaller in the distance, I myself in tears.

The fireworks are still booming up above me, drowning out the strangled cries I can't help but let out.

Fireworks will always remind me of Byun Baekhyun.