032

A Bad Boy's Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A LETTER TO THE FUTURE 
To my dearest, when you read this, please smile

 

The funeral was small, a boring ceremony filled with monotone colors and atmospheres. There weren't any music, just the sound of soft sobs and words of comfort to the poor girl that was standing by the guests' side. Eunmi was trying her best to smile, Daesom can see it more clearly than any other. They wouldn't know how she felt for the man who had just left them, but she would. Slightly straightening the hem of her black dress, she pursed her lips and stared dully at the grey scaled frame that was hung before the row of flow rings. The colors were boring, with dull black and white decorations set around the place. The flowers were white chrysanthemums.

 

Daesom came with white roses today, and with the black veil to shield her face from the eyes of media. It was necessary to keep the ceremony as peaceful as possible, she thought. Kai was there as well, he rented a smaller car to keep themselves away from prying eyes. Today, they're normal human beings attending a funeral. "I didn't need to come." She recalled telling Kai that, but he insisted that they attend the funeral. 

 

She was staring at the picture again. It was the same picture of the man who was smiling clearly in her dreams. Never once had her dreams let go of his smile. The image was clear, it felt more real than it could have been, but she was sure that he's no longer there. She'll slowly learn to accept it. It was so long ago... She closed her eyes and leaned against the wall as soon as she heard footsteps approaching her. 

 

"Daesom." She shifted to the direction, and there he was, her fiance. Kai had head out to make sure that no one was there to disturb the ceremony. She forced a small lift on her corner of her lips. "I'm fine." She muttered, eyes shifted back to the picture as though she didn't mind anymore, but truthfully speaking, her heart still hurts.

 

But Kai wouldn't say anything this time. "I know." He said, his fingers gently wrapped her palm as he pulls her close. We were young, naive kids back then... She tilted her head and rested on his shoulder. I was told that we'll have a new addition to the family. She closed her eyes again. She can hear the sound of wood tapping, a clear chime along with silent prayers. She couldn't sleep well for the past few days, she remembered then. So she sighed. 

 

I might have been a kid, but I wasn't stupid... She could help the chuckle then. "He's related to me." She muttered softly as she feels Kai's hand patting her head gently. "We're related by blood." I knew that since the first time we met. She snuggled closer, despite the footsteps that were moving towards the desk. They were this close, just directly opposite of Eunmi who was busy talking to the guests, but they could have cared less now. She's going to mourne for Myungsoo's death in silence, in her own darkness that she'll eventually leave. 

 

"So I've heard." Kai's brows frowned. He had heard it from her the day before, when she had decided to finally tell him about Myungsoo. "My half-brother is an idiot, isn't he?" Her words were dragging despair, though she had tried her best to keep her emotions in check. "He knew that mother hated him, that she'd do anything to make him leave, but he didn't bother to mention anything to father." Kai's eyes landed on her face. 

 

Daesom was looking at the door again. "They're not coming..." She muttered softly, and he nodded. "I informed them about it though." He muttered uneasily as he stares at the empty door worriedly. He had informed her parents about Myungsoo's funeral, hoping that they'll show the least bit of courtesy to visit their late son for the last time. But it seems as though they didn't care. 

 

"They won't come." Her voice was cold, a dull mock as she turns away again. "Mother wouldn't allow that." She said, fingers crumpled his white shirt that was beneath his black coat. Kai sighed. Her mother hated Myungsoo, he recalled Daesom saying that. It was understandable after knowing that Myungsoo was an illegitimate son of her very own husband's. Having to force herself to love someone else's child would make her even more pitiful than she already was when she found out that her husband was actually cheating on her. But what he heard next, had made him think twice.

 

"Brother did nothing." She wasn't exactly looking at anything in particular now, but he noticed the tears that were creeping down her cheeks. Gently, he wiped the tears away, thumb caressed her soft cheeks as she closes her eyes again. "He didn't even fight back when mother accused him of wanting to hurt me." She nuzzled closer. There were tears, he can see it shimmering clearly at the corner of her eyes.

 

They were just playing around the swing back then. He didn't mean to hurt her, it was her fault that she nearly fell off the cliff by the vacation house in Jeju. Why did her father believe in such a lie? He could have asked her, he could have faith in Myungsoo more, but all he did was agree with her mother and pushed Myungsoo away. He was sent off to a different family, a stranger's home to where they'll never meet again.

 

"May he rest in peace." A short bow, and the guests gently hugged Eunmi, patting her back in comfort before they take their leave. "Don't you want to pay your respects too?" Daehyun was standing before them. He was the same, dressed in his monotoned suit, dull dark tie. His hair was waxed up neatly today, his usual rough bangs weren't covering his face.

 

Daesom nodded, lips pressed thin before she carefully gets up from her seat. Kai smiled lightly, encouraging her to go. And when she does, he allows a sigh to run pass his lips before he turns to Daehyun. "Tiring day, isn't it?" He asked, smiling lightly at him like usual. The smile reminded him of the man he barely knew about. Kim Myungsoo, the man whom Daesom cried for, her dearest half-brother that no one knew of. 

 

"For her, possibly." Kai muttered softly, eyes turned to her in concern. She was just paying her respect, staring at the grey picture of Myungsoo smiling. It was his usual smile, the same smile that she recalls in her memories, but why does it feel so distant now that he's no longer there to smile at her? Smile, Som. The corner of her lips lifted lightly, just slightly, and it was pushed down again. How do I smile? She shook her head and turned around. 

 

How do I smile? She had long forgotten how to do so genuinely. 

 

"Thank you for coming." Eunmi was smiling as well. Why is she smiling? Daesom wondered. How can she smile at his funeral? The bags beneath Eunmi's eyes were evident, Daesom was sure that she wasn't happy at all, and all the cheerfulness, the energetic voice she tried to pull were a facade to mask the broken heart she held deep beyond her ribcage. "There is... Something I'll like to give you." Eunmi said, and Daesom nodded. She didn't want to speak, afraid that if she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter