020

A Bad Boy's Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

WAIT 
The long wait was far more painful than an instant pain.

 

"Your condition is severe now. It's more likely that you prepare yourself in cases where you won't be able to find a suitable donor." Lay leaned back against his seat as he draws a deep breath. The papers were scattered around the desk, files everywhere, and pens rolling around the glass desk. The night was long, dancing starry sky under noisy, screaming patience that annoys the living hell out of him. But Jung Daeseom. Jung Daesom was different. She was that one unexpectedly quiet, silent child that never bothers to feel.

 

"Just give me something to stop the pain." Those were her words back then. She never bothers with the test, she was never cooperative with it either. She would ditch medical tests that he schedules every bloody time until she finally collapse and was sent to the hospital. Sure, that will give him the chance to do quick monitoring on her body, if it weren't for the damn hospital policy that didn't allow him to do any computer scans without the patients consent. Everything was this simple, yet why couldn't his team figure it out? They should have known when her blood pressure was already below average. Everything leads to this, and yet he didn't deduce it.

 

"So it was the heart all along?" Her hysterical laughter was fresh in his mind. He sighed and removed his frameless glasses. His job was done, and now, everything is left to time. There was a long list for them to wait for, a long list of people who wants a new heart. And she's at the end of the list, the far end of the list.

 

He grabbed his coat, and was about to get up from his seat when the glass door to his room swung open. "Lay." He paused to find the man raising an eyebrow at him. He was dressed in his professional attire, black suit with slick black leather shoes. "Daehyun." He nodded in acknowledgement and dropped his coat back on the coat rack.

 

Daehyun entered the room, pulling the blinds and took a seat. "How is she?" He asked, hands tugged into his pockets as he took note of the messy desk before him. "You pulled an all nighter for her huh." He muttered, and Lay nodded his head. "I'm planning to request for an amend from the board." He said and rubbed his temples. "To pull her up the list." 

 

Daehyun gave him a short nod and took the file. "It's the heart." His soft mumble made Lay frown. "Yes, it's the heart." He said and groaned lightly. "The heart affecting the brain, and everything else in her system." He gave Daehyun a brief explanation and lazily pushed the papers and files aside. "Don't you want to see her?" He asked, and Daehyun shook his head with a soft smile on his face. 

 

"Probably not." He shrugged and shifted his attention to the red lava lamp sat on the side of his table. "Since when do you fancy funky things like that?" He raised an eyebrow, and Lay clicked his tongue. "Hye- Doctor Hwang left it there. She said that she'll pick it up some time after her apartment's ready." He mumbled, trying his best to arrange some files, while Daehyun raises his eyesbrow at him. 

 

"Doctor Hwang, hm?" He smirked, and Lay eyed him a glare. "Shut up, friend." Daehyun laughed lightly and got up from his seat Just in time, the girl in question opened the door and rushed into the room. "The board meeting has been set." She told them, and Lay gave her a short nod while he glares at Daehyun who stiffen a laughter. 

 

Daehyun pressed his lips thin and turned to Hyeri. "Thank you for treating my sister, Doctor Hwang." He smiled and offered a handshake, which Hyeri declined with a short bow. "You're welcome." She gave him a professional smile, which made the man raise an eyebrow and turn to Lay in question. I see where this is going. He smirked at the latter and tugged his hands into his pockets. "I'll see you in a bit, Lay." Lay eyed him one last glare. "Don't come back here, ." 

 

Daehyun laughed and walked out of his office after one last wave. 

 

Hyeri frowned at the man's exit. "That is..." Lay sighed. "Jung Daehyun, some rich man's son. Out of your league." He gave her a cold brush and picked up his pen. "So when is the board meeting?" He asked, ignoring the fact that Hyeri was, in fact, glaring at him. She found it rather insulting that he has assumed that she was interested in a stranger that she had never met before. Exactly what does Lay think of her as? Was her very existance some kind of joke to him? 

 

She groaned and shoved the file to him. "Eleven, before lunch time." She said, and he furrowed his eyes at her. "Seriously." He mumbled, and she nodded. "Do I have to wake you up?" She asked, and he checked the time. It's currently two in the morning. He has exactly nine hours to nap. He muttered soft curses and ruffled his hair, messing his slightly wild locks as he drops back to his seat. 

 

He groaned and jumped up from his seat, grabbing his brown trench coat and pulled it over his shoulders. "Come to my house and wake me up by ten." He said shortly and tugged his hands into his pocket, making his steps to the door until she stops him. "Wait!" She shouted, and he halt his steps and turned to her with an annoyed expression played on his face. 

 

"What?" He grunted and furrowed his eyes at her. 

 

She clicked her tongue and sighed. "Is it still the same passcode?" She mumbled, and there was a short pause. He parted his lips, slightly loss of words, but managed to say something before he pushing the glass door and leaves his office. 

 

Hyeri shook her head, though a soft smile appeared on her face before she decides to arrange the files he left unattended on the desk.

 

"Yes. The same passcode as back then." 

 

 

Congestive Heart Failure. Kai had heard of it from Lay back when he was studying for meds school. He wasn't exactly educated at that particular aspect, but he knew that it was no good news. And hearing this from Daesom made everything far worse than it already was to begin with. She said that it was exactly because of the heart that was failing that it has slowly affected every part of her body. The hand was because of the lack of oxygen transferred to the brain, causing malfunctions and resulted in the state she's in now. How simple was it before this, but her body just had to complicate things and mislead them to doubting their first diagnosis. He remembered the look on her face when she said it. The look of despair, the crushed perfection. Must have took her everything to deliver the news to him. 

 

He slumped back to his bed and closed his eyes. The classroom was unusually quiet, so painfully quiet to his ears that he'd wish to have her here. She is still suffering alone in the cold, white hospital room, painfully waiting for someone to save her poor soul out of this torture. He dropped a heavy sigh and ran his fingers through his hair.

 

Daesom had told him everything. That she needed a heart transplant, that she is waiting for one. It was a long list, he was aware of that, but couldn't he do something, anything to help? He wanted her to recover, he wanted to hold her as much as he didn't want to hurt her. It's painful, to see the woman that you desperately want to hold, yet you couldn't bear to hold in fear that you might hurt her. He had experienced it once. He had got her heart to stop when he kissed her for the first time. He wasn't able to control the desire that was built up over time, and he had hurt her. He experienced the fear once, and he wasn't going to commit the same mistake again. 

 

But Daesom, Jung Daesom is a walking temptation. She could be doing nothing and he'd still be attracted to her anyway.

 

"Kai." He shifted his gaze to his friend who was sitting beside him. "You're spacing out." Sehun said, raising an eyebrow at him. "Thinking about her?" It was a casual remark, but Kai can hear the light tone of tease in Sehun's voice. He pursed his lips and looked away, unwary of the gazes that he was receiving from the girls who were in the classroom. 

 

"Kai oppa!" One bravely walked up to him, and his friends immediately winced upon his dark reaction. He wasn't speaking, just waiting for the girl to complete her sentence so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter