His Heart

A Real Pain In The Neck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

{ A/N: Things are going slow orz sorry guys. Things are going to pick back up now! }

 

- - - - -

 

Kris didn't know what time it was when he woke up in the middle of the night. He just knew that something bad was about to happen, and it was going to happen soon.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, glancing over at the glowing numbers on his alarm clock. 4:08. That meant he had a little over an hour before he had to wake up, get Xiumin up, make breakfast for everyone, and get to college. Kris laid back in his bed, running a hand over his face. He closed his eyes, but no matter what position he was laying in, he couldn't get back to sleep.

There was something nagging at him, something that was wrong. And it drove him past the point of insanity not knowing what it was.

With a heavy sigh, the vampire pulled the blankets away, swinging his long legs out of the bed and getting up, walking quietly out of his room. Pausing in the doorway, he tilted his head and listened. Even breathing, steady heartbeats. And of course, there was that one heartbeat that would always stand out to him against all others.

It was yours. It had a calming effect on Kris, and he took deep breaths that matched the beating of your heart.

Then it hit Kris. Maybe that was what it was. For whatever reason, Kris was worried. More than that, he was worried about you.

Trying to be as quiet as he could, he crept down the hallway and stopped in front of your room. His hand shook as he reached out, wrapping his long fingers around the cool bronze doorknob. *I shouldn't be doing this. This is her room, her privacy.* Kris didn't notice his grip on the doorknob tightening, and he jumped away when he felt the metal meld to the shape of his hand as if the thing were a snake.

*Damn. Control yourself. You're just worried. You need to check to see if she's alright. After that, you'll go back to bed.* Kris sighed, grabbing the knob again and opening the door, peeking inside. At the sight of your figure under the covers, he felt his heart flutter, walking inside the room for a better look.

*If she wakes up, she'll be scared. She'll hit you.* Negative thoughts began to fill his mind, mostly out of fear. Biting his lip for a moment, he walked closer and closer to where you were sleeping. Without meaning to, a soft sigh of content left his lips.

Kris crouched down next to your bed, smiling softly and studying your sleeping face. *She's beautiful. Like an angel. Song Haerin, what have you done to me?* Kris slowly rose, reaching out to move a strand of your hair away from your lips.

At first, Kris hadn't been attracted to you. You were just a human girl with a forbidden blood type, someone he and his brothers needed to stay away from at all costs. But slowly, after you moved in with them, it seemed everything you did was beautiful. It wasn't an obvious beauty, but it was something that not many people possessed. Beautiful in the quiet way, Kris thought. It was a perfect description.

"Goodnight, mei mei," he whispered, leaning down and pressing his lips to your forehead, knowing that if you woke up, he'd be dead. "Sweet dreams." Smiling gently, he brushed the back of his hand gently against your cheek, standing up straight and moving away from the bed.

As quiet as he could, he snuck back out of your room, closing the door and praying you wouldn't notice that the doorknob was slightly dented in the shape of a hand in the morning. Reminding himself to buy a new doorknob, Kris walked back down the hall, getting into bed once more.

This time, sleep came much faster, and much easier. All because he was assured you were safe. For now, anyway.

 

- - - - -

 

"Yixing ge," you called out gently as you looked up from your sketchpad. "Can you come help me?"

Lay took a drink from his metal canister of blood, nodding and moving to you, offering his apple with a smile. "Want it? I'm full already."

Smiling, you accepted it and nodded. "Mm. Probably because you've been sipping at that all day," you pointed out, motioning towards the metal container of blood.

"I know. Anyway, what is it you're needing help with?"

"Yah, don't get too close to her," Luhan snapped when he saw Lay begin to rest his chin on your shoulder, one arm getting dangerously close to wrapping around your waist.

"I'm not. Just looking at her drawing," Lay replied innocently, giving you a dimpled smile.

Returning the cute smile, you motioned towards the drawing of a farm landscape you were currently doing. It was almost done. "I'm not sure what kind of tree I was drawing, but it looks weird. I don't know if I should draw more leaves, or how much shading I should do."

"Well, depends on what season you're placing the drawing in, and where the light's coming from. It looks like you were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter