Presentation Is Key

Cupid's Kitchen

 

 

 

~*{ Chapter Twenty-Four: Presentation Is Key }*~

 

 


 

~*~

tumblr_mdgd0pPeVB1rs48o3o4_250.jpg

~*~

 

 
 
A low growl slipped from Tao's lips as he hurridely made his way over to Zelo, shoving the Kiss Me Kitchen staff away as he stepped infront of the other male who was hunched over on the floor.
 
"Back off." Tao hissed softly at the Kiss Me's before he leaned down and yanked Zelo to his feet harshly.
 
"Why the hell are you interviening? We all saw what he did to you and your other staff member! He tried to do the same to one of our own members!" growled a Kiss Me member- who surprsingly reminded Tao of a pigeon.
 
"And? That was an -move, but doesn't mean I'm going to stoop to his level. When you do things back, it makes you no better than them. Now leave before I report it to the competition heads and get you all disqualified." snapped Tao as his eyes lowered into a glare. 
 
A few tongues clicked in annoyance before the opposing team eventually turned and left down the hall. Baekhyun sighed as he walked over and laid a hand gently on Tao's shoulder.
 
"Let's go. " Baekhyun suggested softly and Tao gave a quick nod before turning to leave with the line cook, but he was stopped as slim fingers wrapped around his wrist. Baekhyun and Him both stopped as Zelo stared down at his fingers that were wrapped around Tao's wrist.
 
"I didn't ask you to help me."
 
"I didn't say you did." Tao shot back.
 
"I'm not going to say thank you."
 
"Don't worry. I wasn't expecting it." Tao hissed as he freed his wrist from Zelo's grasp and turned to head back down the hall.
 
"Geez, what was his problem? You just basically saved his ." grumbled Baekhyun and Tao simply shrugged.
 
"I don't really care. Anyways, I'm going to head over to Sous Chef's room. I want to go check on him." 
 
"You know, Tao, I'm quite shocked."
 
"About what?"
 
"When I first met you, you seemd....rather scary and closed off, but now I don't quite think that's how you really are."
 
Tao stopped and turned to the short line cook. "I'm sorry, I'm not following."
 
"Well, I mean, yeah you're still scary and you aren't as close to the rest of us as you are to Sehun, which is understandable considering you both are basically joined to the hip 24/7, but you're not as mean as I figured you'd be. You're...softer than I expected?  Well, you still have a cold demenor. Even now as we're speaking you seem kind of unapproachable, but it's different from when the time I first met you. You have a hidden kindness that I guess many must not take notice of, but I notice it. Like how you pushed the Executive Chef out of the way and how you comforted Sous Chef- not to mention that you're worried about him. Or how you're always there when Sehun needs you and you help others in small, subtle ways. I guess what I'm saying is, you're not half-bad." Baekhhyun stated and he watched with amusement as the Pastry Chef reamained silent with a soft blush coursing through his cheeks.
 
Baekhyun let out a soft laugh as he closed the distance and patted Tao lightly on the shoulder. "You're surprisngly cute when you're like this, but don't get too soft on us. You're going to need a backbone to deal with Kris. Well, I'm quite tired and we have the finals tomorrow- plus these jeans are killing me and I'm dying to change into something more comfortable. You should get some rest soon. I'll see you tomorrow."
 
Tao nodded and slightly bowed as he watched the Line Cook disappear down the hall and into his own hotel room. A soft sigh escaped Tao's lips as he tried to make sense of everrything Baekhyun had said as his mind wandered to the fact that Baekhyun hadn't answered his question earlier about Kris. Shrugging off his wandering thoughts, Tao quickly made his way to the Sous Chef's room and lightly knocked.
 
Shuffling could be heard on the other side of the door and moments later, the door swung open to reveal not the Sous Chef, but the bartender instead.
 
"Oh, hey, Tao. " 
 
"Hey. Is Sous Chef awake? I'd like to speak with him."
 
Kai nodded, but stepped forward and closed the door behind him. "He's awake, but I'd like to talk to you first."
 
Tao arched an eyebrow in curiousity, but nodded anyways. "Alright."
 
Kai in a deep breath before he bowed deeply before Tao. "I'm so sorry and Thank you."
 
Tao sort of tensed as he waited for Kai to straighten up and when he realized that the shorter one had no plan on doing so, he cleared his throat. "Uh...y-you don't have to bow to me. Also, i'm quite confused on why you're saying 'sorry' and 'thank you' for."
 
"Sehun didn't tell you?" Kai asked as he popped up and locked gazes with the Pastry Chef. Tao slowly shook his head as confusion flickered across his eyes.
 
"Tell me what?"
 
"A-About the horrible things I said that night at dinner when you left early...."
 
Tao shook his head again once more and Kai found it shocking how there was no sign of anger anywhere in the taller one's feautres. "No. I don't believe he mentioned anything."
 
Kai felt a whole new wave of guilt crash over him as he bowed deeply once more. "I'm really sorry! I said some horirble things about you and it was wrong of me to do so. I'm not going to make up any excuses and don't worry, Sehun had lectured me the moment I said it. He's a really good kid, but anyways, I'm really sorry and thank you. I wanted to say thank you because I saw what you did for Executive Chef and Kyungsoo-hyung. You shoved them out of the way and because you did that, Kyungsoo's injuries are less serious then they would've been. Again, I'm really sorry and I hope you'll forgive me."
 
Tao sighed as he gently placed a hand on Kai's shoulder, causing the shorter one to straighten up from his deep bow. "Look, I'm not angry and  you didn't need to apologize. I'm used to it, so don't worry about it. "
 
"B-But, Pastry Chef Tao..."
 
"Kai? Pastry Chef Tao?" The door swung open to reveal a slightly confused and dazed Sous Chef. 
 
"Kyungsoo-Hyung! You shouldn't be moving around!" Hissed Kai as he quickly slipped an arm around the Sous Chef's waist- allowing Kyungsoo to lean his weight against him for support.
 
"I know, but it doesn't hurt that bad anymore and I was curious as to why you had disappeared. Is something wrong?" Kyungsoo asked as he turned his attention to the Pastry Chef.
 
Tao flashed a soft smile as he shook his head. "No. I just stopped by to check how you were doing, Sous Chef."
 
"I'm doing better, thank you. How about you? How are you feeling? You got injured way worse than I did." 
 
"I'm alright. It just feels a little numb due to the medicine. Well, the was really all I wanted to ask. I'm glad you're doing better, but I promised Sehun I'd return quickly. I'll see you both tomorrow. Good night." Tao said as he quickly flashed a small smile.
 
"Thank you and rest well, Pastry Chef Tao." Kyungsoo grinned and Tao nodded before turning to head towards his own room.
 
 
"ZiZi?" Sehun called into the darkness as he heard the door swing open.
 
"It's me." Tao answered softly as he kicked off his shoes and stripped down till he was in his t-shirt and boxers.
 
"What took you so long? " whined Sehun and a small laugh left Tao's lips as he quickly slipped under the covers next to the young busser.
 
"Well, I ran into Baekhyun and then we saw that one guy named Zelo-"
 
"Zelo?! Did he do something again??" Sehun asked, worry evident in his voice as he tensed. Although the room was swallowed in the darkness, Tao knew that Sehun was panicking.
 
A soft sigh escaped Tao's lips as he scooted close and pulled Sehun flush against his chest. He shifted till all his weight was on his good arm and threw his numb arm around Sehun's slim waist. "Stop worrying. Nothing happened, obviously. I'm right here and I'm alright."
 
Sehun signed softly as he nuzzled further into the Pastry Chef's chest and hummed softly as he felt Tao's fingers run through his locks. " I'm always going to worry, stupid...."
 
"Hey! Rude!," teased Tao as he yanked softly at Sehun's locks. Sehun giggled before pulling Tao even closer and Tao smiled as he allows their legs to effortlessly tangle together. " , Also, I talked to Kai. He told me that you stuck up for me."
 
Sehun tensed again, but didn't reply as he soothingly ran his hand up and down Tao's back.
 
"Thank you," Tao breathed softly and he noticed how Sehun's hand froze in place. ", I don't think I say that enough. You're always there for me when things get hard. I don't think you realize how grateful I am to have you by my side. Thank you so much, Hunnie. " 
 
A content sigh left Sehun's lips when he heard the nickname he loved so much and his breath glossed along Tao's bare neck. " I'll always be here for you, Huang Zi Tao."
 
"Thank you and I'll always be by your side. Whenever you call, I'll come running. Just know that. Now get some rest. We have the finals tomorrow." Tao murmured as he tightened his hold around his best friend and snuggled into him as well.
 
"ZiZi?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Promise me." Sehun mumbled.
 
"Promise you what?"
 
"Promise me that you won't leave my side."
 
A laugh left Tao's lips as he reached up to gently run his fingertips across the younger one's cheeks. "I promise. Now get some sleep."
 
"Good night, ZiZi."
 
"Good night."
 
 
 
||~*~||
 
 
 
It was hot. A little too hot as Tao ran around the floor- hands full of supplies. The heat from the kitchen mixed with the heat from the overhead lights made Tao feel as if he was in an oven as the sweat trickled down the sides of his face. His arm was starting to ache again, but he had to push through it. He needed to.
 
"Pastry Chef Tao, how are you holding up?!" Yelled Xiumin from his place at the stove- currently flipping his mixed vegetables in two huge skillets over an open flame.
 
"I'm alright. I'm almost done here. We just need to plate!" Tao called back before motioning to Henry, Zhou Mi and Seungho. Almost as if they all communicated telepathically, the four began to plate Tao's dessert.
 
The clock was running out and Tao could feel the lightheaded feeling came swarming back to him. As he ran to go retrieve the chocolate syrup, his vision blackened for a second as he felt the floor slip from underneath his feet.
 
"Whoa there. Becareful."
 
The voice shocked Tao as he noticed a pair of unfamiliar hands around his waist- keeping him from falling to the floor. As his vision came to, he glanced up- only to lock eyes with the person he least expected.
 
"Zelo?" 
 
"You're dehydrated. You've got a few minutes left and your team over there is almost done plating. It wouldn't kill you to drink something." Zelo mumbled as he helped Tao settle onto his feet and handed him a bottle of water.
 
Tao stared at the water bottle in his hands uneasily as he glanced between Zelo and the bottle.
 
"Just drink it. I didn't do anything to it." Groaned Zelo before he turned and  went back to his station.
 
Tao was confused, but nonetheless extremely thirsty. He quickly popped the cap open and took a long swig before returning to retrieve the syrup. Zelo had been right- the water made him feel better instantly.
 
"Pastry Chef Tao, the clock!" Warned Henry and Tao simply nodded as he started drizzling the the chocolate across the many plates of dessert.
 
"Pastry Chef Tao, don't you think you should go faster." Mumbled Zhou Mi as he worriedly eyed the large LED clock.
 
"Presentation is key." Tao hissed back as he glanced around and noticed that Xiumin and Kyungsoo were nearly finished with their own plates.
 
Tao sped up slightly as he continued to glance at the clock.
 
4......
 
3.......
 
2.......
 
1.........
 
Tao sighed in relief as the buzzer went off and a small smile perched onto his lips as he realized that he was able to complete every thing in time.
 
"Whoa...amazing...I didn't think we'd finish." Seungho stated with a soft laugh and Tao grinned as he patted each of his team members on the back.
 
"I wouldn't have been able to finish without you three. Thank you and good work." Tao stated.
 
"Awww, so adorable. Good work to you too, Pastry Chef Tao." Xiumin sang as he cheerfully wrapped his arms around Tao- purposely squeezing with all his strength.
 
"Executive Chef. Can't. Breath. Sticky. Sweaty. Arm. Hurts." Groaned Tao and Xiumin quickly released his hold around the shorter one as he flashed a sheepish smile.
 
"Sorry, sorry."
 
"Anyways, our job is done. Now it's the Costumer Service staff's turn. Let's head to the stands. I'm quite tired and my thigh is starting to throb. Tao looks like he needs some rest too, so lets go." Kyungsoo said softly and headed to the stands with the others following behind.
 
"You did well, ZiZi." Sehun beamed as he threw his arms around Tao.
 
"Thanks, Sehun, but I'm kind of sticky and I don't want you to ruin your uniform,"Tao stated as he lightly pulled Sehun off of him he flashed a soft smiled as he reached up and brushed the loose strands away from the shorter one's face. ", it's your turn now. Good luck."
 
Sehun smiled as he cupped Tao's face and brought their noses together. "Thank you."
 
They quickly parted as the Costumer Service staff went down to resume their positions and Tao quickly slid into the empty seat next to Suho and Kris.
 
"Good job out there, Tao." Suho said softly as he ruffled the taller one's hair.
 
"Thank you, General Manager."
 
"You did well." The sudden voice caused Tao, Suho, and Kris to jump startled. They quickly turned to see Zelo standing there with a soft smile.
 
"What the hell do you want?" Growled Kris as he stood up from his seat.
 
Tao quickly stood up and place a hand gently on Kris's shoulder. " Calm down, Assistant General Manager."
 
"I'm here to apologize." Zelo blurted suddenly and Tao turned to him with his features filled with disbelief.
 
"Apologize?" 
 
"Yes. I'm sorry for what I did. It was completely wrong of me and I was in no position to do so. I'm sincerely sorry. Also, thank you for the other day." Zelo said as he bowed deeply.
 
Tao sighed. "What is with everyone bowing to me lately....," he grumbled as he tapped Zelo lightly on the shoulder. "I though you had no intention of saying thank you- let alone apologize."
 
Zelo shrugged as he glanced over to where his own team was. "I wasn't going to, but then I guess I changed my mind. I decided that I wasn't going to be the bad guy just because my team wanted me to be. That's just not who I am."
 
Tao nodded slowly as he took in all the information. "Well,  I still don't quite like you but I accept your apology. "
 
Zelo cracked a grin as he extended a hand. "I still don't quite like you either, but we can change that. If you want, that is. We can start over.... Hi, my name is Zelo and I work for a bunch of s from the Matoki Kitchen staff. "
 
Tao hesitated as he turned to glance at Suho and Kris. The two simply shrugged and Tao turned back as he grinned - taking Zelo's hand as well. 
 
"Nice to meet you, Zelo. I'm Huang Zi Tao. Cupid's Kitchen's newest Pastry Chef. I'm young and because the role of a pastry chef is held in high standards, I'm often judge due to my age. "
 
"Well, Tao, hang in there and keep strong. I look forward to going against you again next year."
 
"Likewise."
 
Zelo nodded once more before he disappeared through the stands to go back to his own team.
 
"Well....that was certainly weird...." Mumbled Kyungsoo and Tao just shrugged as he took his seat again. 
 
"Well, when are things ever normal?" Countered Xiumin and Kyungsoo hesitated as he silently thought about it.
 
"Touché, Executive Chef, touché."
 
Tao sighed as his eyes found Sehun- who was currently serving one of the judges water.
 
"I'm just glad that's over with. " grumbled Tao.
 
"Pastry Chef Tao." Kris called softly and Tao tore his eyes away from Sehun to meet Kris' gaze.
 
"Yes, Assistant General Manager? "
 
"Later, when we go back to Seoul, I'd like to talk to you." 
 
Tao's eyes widened in shock as he parted his lips to speak, but the buzzer went off again and his questions died on his lips. His questions would have to wait since the end of the competition was drawing near.
 
"Well, it's time to head down for the results. Lets go. " Suho said softly and everyone got up to follow him out the stand.
 
Another sigh left Tao's lips as he worriedly glanced at Kris- hoping and praying that he wasn't going to get fired.
 
He was beginning to like being around everyone.
 
 
 
~*~
 

 
||Author's Note||: This is officially the last chapter of their stay in Japan ~ ^^ which I'm excited because I have things planned for the SuLay , Taoris , and Hunhan couple ~ ;D and Suho gets to play a big role in the next few chapters and I'm excited because my Suho feels have been on high lately..anyways Authornim loves you all! Thanks for those who voted this story up, thanks for those who leave beautiful comments , and thanks to everyone who has subscribed. It means alot ^^ I love you all :) ( ignore spelling errors and whatnot. I'm too tired to correct as I just took the SAT and am in no mood to worry about grammer and whatnot. Oh and it was funny because fanfic actually helped me on some of the vocabulary on the test xD I nearly giggled during testing because all I could think about was fanfic.)