The Heat of The Kitchen

Cupid's Kitchen

 

 

~*{Chapter Eighteen: The Heat of The Kitchen }*~

 


 

~*~

 

 
 
"Executive Chef, Sous Chef, Pastey Chef, and line Cooks from both A and B groups!" called Kris as the clock ticked closer to the competition start time.
 
They were in their own little section in a large back room, hidden behind the huge kitchen stations- where the actually cooking would be done in front of the many judges and spectators.
 
Many of the other competitors were scattered throughout the room, all huddled in their assigned small sections as they conversed and gave last minute pep-talks. Each and every kitchen representative staff member all wore their Kitchen's respected uniform- showing diversity in style, color, and pride. 
 
Suho glanced around at his own members who were shuffling in their places nervously as they all exchanged a few words and a soft smiled tugged on the General Manager's lips.
 
The Kitchen staff wore their white uniform that was lined with black, but the thing that made their own uniform stand out was the dashes of pink. The large, round buttons on the front were a light pink color and the cuffs at the end of the sleeves were as well.
 
The Costumer Service staff wore black slacks, white collared button-up long-sleeves shirts, and a pink vests with their name-tags attached.
 
Kris and Himself, however, wore kaki pants, white collared button up long sleeved shirts, black blazers over top, and pink simple ties to match the rest of the staff.
 
Kris had originally disagreed with making their Kitchen representative color pink, but somewhere along the way Suho had managed to convince the taller one- and at moments like these; he was glad he did.
 
He was proud. Not of himself, but of his team. They all were extremely talented and skilled and he couldn't help but wonder how in the world such people like themselves ended up working for him.  
 
They all looked completely breathtaking and the air around them made sure to let others know that they were no force to be reckoned with- and Suho was nothing but Proud. 
 
"So, as you all know we will be going against the BBC Kitchen from New Zealand. They aren't a group to be taken lightly, so be on your toes, "Kris said to the kitchen staff he pulled aside. ", As you all know, the first half of the first round is the actual cooking. Executive Chef Xiumim and Sous Chef Kyungsoo will be leading you all on the Kitchen floor while we observe with the rest of the staff. We aren't aware of what ingredients will be given to us, so be sure to be mindful of their words because they know what's best.  You have three hours to Cook and plate for one hundred people. Due to such circumstances, we have split you all into three groups. The first group will be under Executive Chef Xiumin. That group will be in charge of the appetizers and entrées. The second group will be under Sous Chef Kyungsoo and will be in charge of main course. The third group will be under Pastry Chef Tao and obviously that group will be in charge of the desserts." 
 
At the sound of his name, Tao's eyes flickered up in shock. Not once has he ever lead a team and the competitions he had previously entered were all solo competitions.
 
"Those under Executive Chef Xiumin are as follows: Chef Siwan, Chef Hankyung, and Line Cook Takuya.  Those under Sous Chef Kyungsoo are as follows: Line Cook Baekhyun, Line Cook Chanyeol,and Line Cook Chen. Now, concerning Pastry Chef Tao's group, I understand that he is the only one experienced with party making. However, plating the pastries for a hundred people by himself and making the pastries is too much for one person. The following three people will assist him in retrieving certain ingredients and plating: Chef Henry, Chef Zhou Mi, and Chef Seungho. You three be sure to follow him closely. With pastries, it's harder to recover from a mistake. That is pretty much all I have to say. General Manager?" Kris called and Suho cleared his throat as he gazed proudly at his kitchen staff who silently waited for his words.
 
"First, I want to say how lovely you all look," Suho blurted, causing his staff to crack out in smiles. ",Second, I want to say good luck. You are all talented and each and every one of you deserve to be here. No matter what, don't forget that you are the best and as long as there is effort, there will be results. I know we split you all into three groups, but remember that we are one. Both the kitchen staff and the customer service staff. We're family. So worked hard together out there on the kitchen floor. I believe in you all and...er, well go out there and kick some !"
 
"General Manager!" gasped Kyungsoo at the sudden language from Suho while the rest exploded into a fit of giggles- even Kris had a smile playing on his lips.
 
Suho grinned as he simply shrugged. "Not so much a gramps now, am I?"
 
"Someone is surely pumped~" chimed in Luhan and the General Manager could only smile.
 
"Of course. I'm so energized just by looking at you all." beamed Suho.
 
 
"Contestants for Round One, please make your way to the kitchen." 
 
The voice from the intercom sounded and Suho outstretched his hand. "Team Cheer everyone?"
 
A small laugh left Kris' lips as he placed his hands on top of Suho's and the other Chefs followed- well all except one,
 
Tao stood staring blankly at them- still sort of dazed and Shocked at everyone and everything. 
 
Suho smiled at how cutely the Pastry Chef looked and exchanged a gaze of understanding with Kris. Kris nodded, understanding the General Manager's silent message before turning to Tao.
 
"When Suho said 'team cheer', he meant you too, Pastry Chef Tao. You're apart of the team now. The solo thing you do doesn't exactly work with us." teased Kris and Tao just silently nodded before placing his hand on top of the hand pile. 
 
A smile tugged at Kris' lips as he noticed the faint pink blush that flourished the younger one's cheeks and he thinks that maybe- maybe- Tao has a slight, little, barely noticeable, small cute side and just maybe this caused the Assistant General Manager's heart to flutter.
 
" 'Food Is Love' on three....One, Two, three!"
 
"Food is love!" They all simultaneously cheered as their hands flew into the air. 
 
"Alright, good luck! Lead away Xiumim." beamed Suho before patting them all on their backs and watching as they disappeared through the door.
 
"Alright everyone, let's go watch from the stands." Kris stated as the other teams started making their way to the viewing stands. The rest of the members got up and they all waddled to the stands- sitting in their respected assigned section.
 
 
The ginormous kitchen flat with filled with various of work stations, top notch kitchen appliances, and refrigerators. Every team that was competing stood in neat rows with their Executive Chef leading the front. They all stood silently, in their brilliant uniforms, as the waited patiently. The rows of judges were placed just feet away from the kitchen area to where they could observe every thing. Newspaper and Magazine editors stood with their teams near the viewing stands with their notepads in hands and cameras going off every second or so.
 
The room buzzed with voices that eventually quieted down once ten people, all dressed in suits, waltz in with an intimidating air around them. Each held a small note card and wireless mic as they made their way to the center of the mass room- facing towards the waiting competitors.
 
A woman, who Suho instantly recognized as Anne St. Clair, stepped forward-holding her own mic and notecard.
 
"General Manager, that's Anne St.Clair isn't it....?!"  gasped Yi Xing and Kris nodded.
 
"It's her. I'm not surprised to see her here though. If you look at the rest, they are all world known critics and retired chefs. The hidden prize for this competition must surely be  important if they invited all these people." Kris added and suddenly a certain nervousness jolted through Suho. Something suddenly just didn't feel right.
 
 
 
"Hello, Everyone! Welcome spectators, judges, and Chefs, to the 50th annual Delux Chef's Competition. I am Anne St.Clair and I will be the main judge and host of this years competition." Her voice rung throughout the room as it echoed through the mic and all stayed silent.
 
She continued to ramble on about rules and regulations that have already been mentioned a hundred times.  After a long speech, she motioned towards a large basket that laid in the middle of the floor on a large silver table.
 
"Our theme today is........Fruits! All teams will require to incorporate fruits in their appetizers, main course, and dessert! You will be judge on creativity, taste, and how well you used fruits. You will have three hours to complete the task before it switches over to the Costumer Service half. Are there any questions?, " She called after revealing the pile of fruits in the basket.  No hands shot up and no one spoke out. "Alrighty then, you all know who you're up against so you may begin! Start the clock!"
 
Suho watched as the giant big LED clock started to tick down by the seconds and his eyes fluttered close- praying and wishing for his team to have good luck.
 
 
 
~*~
 
 
 
"Alright, we need to move, move, move!" called out Xiumin as they hurried to their station- which was right across from the BBC Kitchen's table. 
 
Their opponents were already snatching ingredients out from the refrigerators much like the rest of the competitors around the room were doing. Everyone was hurriedly walking, running almost, as the scrambled around the kitchen to retrieve need materials- as if it were all a treasure hunt.
 
Minutes began to tick by and Xiumin was already at a blender, throwing things in while his team members chopped and skillfully sliced various of fruits and devained shrimp. Line Cook Takuya was already getting the various of plates and circular cups set out for the decoration and presentation.
 
Kyungsoo was standing in front of one of the stoves as he held a skillet in both hands- fire blazing from them as Chanyeol doused them with some rum. Baekhyun was working on the side creating a sauce that he soon handed over to Chanyeol to add to the tenderloin. Chen was starting to pull out and set the hundred plates and work on the presentation of it all.
 
Tao's team were slicing large amounts of fruit and putting them aside as Tao began to start the dough from scratch. Chef Henry was working on the arrangements of plates while running to get whatever ingredients Tao called for.
 
It was all quick, intense, and extremely hot. Sweat dripped from all the competitors faces, along with their own, as the heat was starting to rise due to so many stoves being on as well as the beaming over head lights. 
 
Fires blazed here and there-seeming to come to life as shout and orders could be heard throughout each group.
 
A few times, chefs bumped together as they ran to get things done, but something seemed extremely off to Suho as he noticed that both Kyungsoo and Tao were constantly getting bumped into- by none other than one of the Matoki Staff members that he recognized as Zelo.
 
"Please tell me I'm imagining this...." grumbled Suho just as Tao was bumped into yet again, however the younger one brushed it off as he continued to retrieve fruits from one of the refrigerators.
 
Kris didn't have to ask to know what Suho was talking about because he was witnessing it all and his anger seemed to boil alot with the room temperature.
 
"Those bastards are trying to create a distraction...." growled Kris under his breath, but he flinched when a sudden hand lightly rest on his thigh. His head snapped up to meet with Sehun's gaze.
 
"They'll be alright. " Sehun mumbled assuredly and for some reason- that seemed to do the trick as Kris' features relaxed slightly.
 
"I hope so...." Yi Xing added as his eyes look worriedly at s who were looking exhausted by the second.
 
"They will be fine. I'm sure-" started Suho, but he was cut off by a sudden crash and loud, ear piercing groans.
 
The room grew silent with the exception of the groans of pain and Suho's heart dropped as his eyes widened in complete in utter shock.
 
Kris bolted first, running down from the viewing stands to the kitchen floor- soon to be followed by Sehun, Kai, and Suho while the other staff members watched in horror and shock.
 
 
 
 
 
It all happened so fast.
 
 Zelo was carrying a huge bowl , nearly ten times larger then a normal bowl, of boiling water back from the water tank dispenser and Tao, who had sensed the whole time that they were being targeted, saw as the opposing chef sneakily made his way towards Kyungsoo and Xiumin- both who were busily occupied.  
 
He didn't have time to think or even shout due to the fact that even if he did- it wouldn't be heard over the Loud commotion. He acted quickly pushing aside Xiumin as he attempted to stop Zelo, but he wasn't fast enough.
 
Zelo's hands released the bowl- causing the boiling water to spill over Tao's left hand  and arm as well as part of Kyungsoo's thigh.
 
It was painful and both dropped to the floor in seconds, along with Zelo who pretended he had slipped- but Tao didn't miss the small smirk that flashed across the other's lips. 
 
Zelo knew what he was doing. It was no accident. The water was boiled way beyond necessary with the intent to Burn.
 
That's exactly what he accomplished.
 
 
"Kyungsoo! Tao!" Kris called as he reached the two that were in searing pain on the floor.
 
Kai was the next to reach them as he knelt by Kyungsoo's side. The Sous Chef's eyes where slammed shut in pain as he gripped at the fabric of his uniform- trying hard to keep the whimpers in.
 
"Zizi! Zizi!" Sehun cried frantically as he and Kris helped Tao sit up. Whimpers and groans left his lips as he clutches at his painful arm. 
 
Suho  was quiet, but panic was written in his features as he helped Kai left Kyungsoo up. The movement caused the Sous Chef to cry out in pain as he writhed slightly. Tao was shaking violently in Sehun's embrace as he bit harshly on his bottom lip- using pain to distract from pain.
 
"You idiot, why did you push me out of the way!" yelled Xiumin, who put two and two together, before glaring at Zelo who was fake-limping to his own team.  He knelt down near the injured Pastry Chef as he examined the injured arm. It was completely red and he was sure that the flesh would start blistering or peeling. 
 
"Are your team members okay?" Anne St.Clair asked as her and two judge came to see the damage. Other competitors had froze as they took in the scene and no one doubted that it was a low attack to setback Suho's staff.
 
"They're suffering from burns....we need to get them over to health station." informed Suho, his voice low and deadly. His face showed a sign of control and calmness and it was moments like these where it was clear as to why Suho was the General Manager in the first place.
 
Suho and Kai carried the Sous Chef, who was slightly loosing consciousness due to the intense pain , while Kris and Sehun attempted to life Tao- but the younger one refused.
 
"No..." Tao whispered out weakly.
 
"Tao, now is not the time for-" started Kris, but Tao used his uninjured arm to push the taller one and Sehun away.
 
"No... We've already wasted too much time and no one else...no one else a has any experience in pastry making. The desserts are no where near done and we'd be.....giving up alot of points if I were to back out now...." Tao struggled out as he slowly and unsteadily pushed himself up and onto his feet. His eyes were hazed with pain and Sehun places his hands securely around the taller one's waist to keep him from falling over.
 
"Are you crazy?," Suho cried out as Kai fully took now passed out Kyungsoo and headed to the Health Station. ", Your whole left arm is burned! You're in so much pain that it's even hard for you to talk and sweat is pouring from the sides of your face! Kyungsoo fricken passed out and you look damn near close! You are going to sit this out!"
 
Tao shook his head as his breathing became shallow and he began taking slow steps towards his section. "I'm not backing out General Manager...with all due respect, I refuse your orders. "
 
"Huang Zi Tao, you listen here-" started Suho, but stopped when slim fingers wrapped around his wrist.
 
"General Manager, it's useless once he gets like this. He won't stop." informed Sehun as he locked gazes with Suho.
 
"Suho, as much as I hate to say this, I feel like Sehun's right. The other chefs are capable of mimicking Kyungsoo's work, but no one here can do that with Tao. He's the only one who can do Pastries and having him drop out now will basically be forfeiting the competition." Kris mumbled, gauging Suho"/ reaction carefully.
 
"You said we were a team....right, General Manager?" Tao weakly called out and Suho turned his attention to the Pastry Chef who looked barley conscious.
 
"Yes, I did....."
 
"Then let me do this....Everyone worked too hard to just give up now..." 
 
Suho sighed as he frantically scratched at his head. His eyes darted to the clock that was ticking down rapidly. A loud groan escape his lips as he looked back to Tao.
 
"Pastry Chef Tao, you're nuts...." growled Suho and Tao weakly smiled taking it as a signal to go ahead.
 
"I'll try my best...." Tao murmured.
 
"Alright. Everyone get back to work, Xiumin will take over Kyunsoo's team. Work hard to make up for the lost time. You all can do it and please for the sake of my grandpa-like-heart, Becareful. I don't think I'll be able to take  it if one of you get hurt again." Suho said softly as he exchanged a soft gaze with Tao.
 
"Yes,  General Manager!" They called in unison as the chefs hurriedly went back to work. 
 
Sehun silently walked up to Tao, who was trying hard to slip a plastic glove over his burned hand. The shorter one held the Pastry Chef slip the glove on before suddenly pulling the taller one into a hug.
 
"You idiot....." Sehun hissed softly as Tao ran his fingers through the shorter one's hair.
 
"I'll be alright." Tao assured and Sehun pulled back to peer up into the taller one' eyes.
 
A sigh left Sehun's lips as he frowned slightly. "You better be."
 
Sehun tip-toed and nuzzled against Tao's nose lightly- earning a soft smile in response before turning to head back to the viewing stand with Kris and Suho.
 
Time was running out and Tao was pushing through whatever consciousness he had left as he counted the seconds- every last one of them counted.
 
 
 
 
~*~
 
 

AN:// I wasn't going to update, but all the lovely comments made my heart swell and I decided to update anyways ;_; Authornim loves you all so much <3 so here's a double update ^^ and yes I know has been requested soon, I'm just trying to get the perfect moment because I did say kaisoo would have their moment but I'm starting to second guess which couple I want to progress intimately  first >.<

---ignore spelling mistakes :) ---