Lemon Lollipop

Cupid's Kitchen

 

 

 

~*{ Chapter Seventeen: Lemon Lollipop }*~

 


 

~*~

yhst-59560331784871_2229_89657004

 

~*~

 

Luhan sighed softly at the thick air that suffocated those at the dinner table. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat as his eyes darted around the table- taking note of the various emotions that floated silently in the air.
 
He watched as Baekhyun snuck worried glances at the tall, poodle-haired line cook  who unnaturally sat on the opposite side of the table.
 
Chanyeol was creepily forcing a smile as he exchanged a few words here and there with both Xiumin and Kyungsoo.
 
Kyungsoo kept his eyes lowered as he conversed with Chanyeol and Xiumin- avoiding the heated stares he was receiving from the bartender who silently sat besides Baekhyun. 
 
Suho seemed slightly stressed as he mumbled a few words to Kris, but Luhan noticed a smile tugged on the General Manager's lips when he made eye contact with the normally quiet server.
 
Chen heaved a sigh as his eyes constantly shot over to Xiumin- exchanging intense gazes a few times with the Executive Chef that were sudden but definitely noticeable.
 
And Tao....
 
Tao was dead quiet and his face showed absolutely no emotions as he stared down blankly at the table. The aura around him was blazing and cringe-worthy as his dark pupils flickered with an emotion that Luhan never witnessed before, but it was certainly one that sent chills down the Hostess' back.
 
Sehun was by his side, eyes full of understanding but helplessness, as he intertwined their fingers silently under the table.
 
They were in the hotel's dining area and their opponents were scattered all around them - shooting dark glances and envious gazes their way.
 
Luhan spotted the Matoki Kitchen's staff and it wasn't hard to guess why Tao was emitting such a scary aura.
 
Their gazes were silent, but clearly mocking as they glared down Tao from across the room and Luhan couldn't help but feel sorry for the Pastry Chef who was holding back his explosive anger.
 
Kris cleared his throat unnecessarily loud as everyone else grew quiet- waiting for further instructions.
 
"So, listen up. Now that the rules and regulations meeting has ended, tomorrow is the start of the three day competition. Now, I want you all to remember that each and every one of you is important to the team. We will be judged on whether or not our food and our services are of excellent standards. We need to all function together, not as one, but as of right now- that doesn't seem like it'll happen. I am aware, vaguely, of a few situations between staff members," Kris spoke as he eyed Baekhyun and Kai, giving them a cold, stern look. ", I am going to say this once and only once: if there are any personal matters between any of you, it better not interfere with the competition. General Manager worked too hard for you all just to go screw it all up over petty fights. Do I make myself clear?"
 
"Yes, Assistant General Manager." Everyone called back in unison- all but one. Kris' eyes fell on the Pastry Chef who's eyes were still glued to the table with lips shut tight.
 
Luhan saw the look Kris had and his eyes eventually wandered over to Tao, who was still deadly silent.  He waited for Kris to growl at the younger one, but when Kris said nothing, Luhan's face twisted in shock.
 
 
Kris cleared his throat once more as he nodded slowly, turning towards Suho who sat on his left. "Anything you wish to add, General Manager?"
 
Suho nodded as he flashed a small smile- eyes darting to look earnestly at his staff members. " I want you all to go into this competition in a good mood, motivated, and excited. I also hope that each and every one of you give it your all. I want to let you all know that as long as we try our best, the outcome doesn't matter. So, I guess this is my way to say good luck and lets to do well tomorrow!" 
 
"Yes, General Manager!" Everyone beamed, smiles on their face- except well the Pastry Chef of course.  This time, Suho noticed and he couldn't take it anymore.
 
" Pastry Chef Tao." Suho called softly and everyone turned their attention to the young Pastry Chef. Tao was zoned out and did not hear  the elder, which caused Sehun to wave his hand frantically infront of Tao's face- drawing the tall one from his trance.
 
"ZiZi, General Manager called you. " Sehun informed softly once his friend's eyes came back into focus. His features relaxed a little as he slightly bowed his head towards Suho.
 
"I apologize, General Manager. Did you say something?"
 
Suho smiled gently once more. "Don't apologize. I just wanted to make sure you're okay."
 
Tao flashed a smile, but it was one that did not reach the Pastry Chef's eyes. "I'm alright, General Manager. Just a little tired is all. Do you mind If I get some rest?"
 
Suho frowned slightly as he parted his lips to speak, but Kris placed a hand on the shorter one's thigh to stop him from speaking. 
 
"That's alright. If you're tired, go on up and rest. Tomorrow will be a long day. "Kris murmured softly and everyone's head whipped around in complete shock. Trying, but failing miserably, to keep their faces from twisting in confusion.  Suho frowned towards the taller one, but like everyone else, he said nothing.
 
Tao flashed a small, a barely noticeable smile, as he stood up from his seat. "Thank you. Well, goodnight everyone."
 
Just as Tao turned to leave, Sehun's fingers wrapped tightly around the Pastry Chef's wrist- locking the taller one in place. 
 
"Zi Tao..." Sehun cooed softly, shocking the Pastry Chef at the sound of his name rather than his nickname.
 
They exchanged a silent gaze, unmissed by everyone else, as Tao's free hand ruffled Sehun's hair. "I'm alright."
 
"Do you want me to go up with you?"
 
Tao shook his head as he allowed his fingers to slide gently through the shorter one's hair. "No, it is alright. Eat and take your time. I'll see you once you're done."
 
They exchanged a soft smile before Tao took his leave- allowing their fingertips to brush before exiting the dining area.  Sehun's eyes never left the Pastry Chef's figure as he watched Tao leave- worry etched into his features.
 
"You would think that with all the competitions he'd entered before, he'd be used to dealing with rivals. He just needs to it up is all. He's not even the-"grumbled Kai, still obviously in a bad mood due to the distance between him and the Sous Chefs.
 
"Shut the hell up." Sehun snapped, everyone immediately quieted down and eyes widened at the younger one.
 
Anger flickered in the young Busser's eyes as he glared over at the bartender- almond eyes almost just as piercing and deadly as Tao's. Luhan's eyes lowered to see Sehun's hands roll into first and he was all but expecting the shorter one to reach across the table and knock Kai out cold. 
 
"You must think it's easy, " Sehun continued as he pierced-holes with his eyes through the frozen Bartender. ", You must think it's so easy for Tao to hold back his anger, but that's 'cause you just don't ing know.  Yes, he is a genius and yes he walks around with a cold demeanor, but you weren't there. You weren't there when his own family was harassed because of his talent. You weren't there when they tried to force him to give up the one thing he loved most. You weren't there when others, who had no right to judge him, criticized him and made him feel low. You weren't there when others manipulated him and deceived him just to weaken him. You weren't there when every-damn-day he would have spiteful, degrading, and hurtful words spit into his face just to make him feel worthless.  You weren't there to see him get physically harmed and threatened and humiliated. You weren't there to see him suffocate in his depression and vulnerability. I was there. I saw him get back up every time he was shoved down. I saw him when he worked through the night, ignoring the human need to sleep or eat, just to perfect his abilities to prove to those worthless people that he had talent- even though those bastards were well aware and just jealous. If you were in his place, would you be able to take it? Would you be able to take people constantly looking down on you because of your age? Sure, Tao had natural born talent, but it didn't perfect itself. He worked hard to perfect it. 98% of what he does is skill that he worked for, but you didn't know that- because you weren't there." 
 
The table was dead quiet and somewhere amidst his rant, Sehun had bolted out of his seat with glassy- slick eyes. A few eyes around the room were now looking at their table, but Sehun didn't care. He was far too angry for that. 
 
"Sehun...." Suho murmured softly and the younger one snapped from his angry-rage as he turned his attention to the General Manager. He bit down on his bottom lip as his eyes fluttered close and took deep, slow breaths. When they reopened, he bowed slightly towards Suho.
 
"I-I'm sorry......I need some fresh air. " Sehun stated and quickly left the dining area before anyone could say anything else.
 
Sehun blindly walked as his eyes blurred from the tears threatening to fall. His feet carried him right out side the hotel and once the night time air hit his heated skin, he let out a aggravated sigh. 
 
It was always like this.
 
Every time Tao hurt, Sehun did too. That was just the way things worked and because Tao wasn't one to voice his true anger or frustrations- Sehun did it in his place.
 
"Are you alright?"
 
Sehun whirled around at the sudden voice- only for his eyes to land on a concerned looking Hostess. Luhan closed the distance between them and Sehun avoided the older one's gaze, looking everywhere but at Luhan.
 
"I'm fine. " Sehun grumbled, another sigh leaving his lips.
 
"I know Kai can be a real jerk sometimes, it's just because he's cranky. He never thinks before opening his mouth and often doesn't consider other's situations. He kind of just blurts whatever comes to his mind. He really meant no harm regarding Tao. We don't look down on Tao because, trust me, we are all aware of his magic pastry skills. " Luhan teased lightly, trying to make the shorter one smile, but having no such luck.
 
"I know, I know. It's just frustrating. It's always like this....: "mumbled Sehun and an awkward silence befell them. 
 
Sehun continued to take deep breaths as Luhan shuffled awkwardly in his spot, fidgeting with the hem of his own shirt. The unknown minutes ticked by as they both basked in the night time breeze and a sudden thought popped up into the Hostess' mind. He shoved a hand in his pockets and began roaming around for what he wanted to find.
 
Seconds later, he pulled out a small lemon flavored lollipop and ripped the wrapper off- holding it up to the younger busser's lips.
 
"Here. Have this. " Luhan mumbled softly and Sehun's eyes flickered with confusion.
 
"I don't really like sweet things though....and why?"
 
"It's Lemon flavored and it's actually not that sweet. And because, I heard when I was younger that candy makes one feel better. So go on, take it. Try it." Luhan pressured and eventually the young Busser gave in.
 
"Thanks." Sehun said softly as he took the lollipop from the older one's grasp and wrapped his lips around it.
 
The artificial lemon flavoring hit his tongue instantly and what Luhan had said was true.
 
It wasn't too sweet and it wasn't half bad.
 
Sehun nodded slowly as Luhan beamed up at him. 
 
"It's good, isn't it?"
 
Sehun nodded once more as he slightly smiled with the lollipop still lodged in his mouth.
 
Strawberry was his favorite flavor for everything,but Sehun finds that Lemon flavored may actually not be that bad.
 
 
~*~
 

 

AN:// whoo~ all the subscribers for this story ;___; i love you all <3 I really do :3 ~ <3 Anyways, from now on, all of my stories, including this fic, will be updated every sunday ~! (unless some magical outside force forbids it and screws my plans up) Anywas, hope you all enojoyed the chapter and Authornim loves you all!

 

P.S: I have a silly little request, but it's important to me. I want to interact with you all more and so I would really love it if you guy commented and told me exactly why you like this story/continue to read it/ subscribed to this monstrosity/ find interest in this story. I want to know made you guys like this story. (i.e, like was it a certain couple or the fact that food is used in almost every chapter xD)

And of course I wouldn't be asking without giving back! If you leave a comment telling me what it is that interests you from this story, then I will be willing to do small oneshots for those who request it- if you want to make a oneshot request then please state couple and genre in the commet :) -. (If I get more then one comment then I'll do all the oneshots in a 'Vault' that I'll be creating so that way I can keep them all together.)  So, again, thanks for reading and it really does mean alot to me :)

I love you all~ and again, thanks to those who voted...you guis make me feel special OTL ;___;

-lol this is starting to feel longer than the chapter itself-