Chapter Twenty Two - Differences

Mischief and Love

 

"Hey,"
 
"Holy you motherer! You gave me a heart attack!"
 
I watch in amusement as Key continues to dramatically clutch his chest, panting as if he had come from some surreal makeout session and let his eyes narrow into a sharp glare. "Jonghyun! You do not creep behind other people and go 'HEY' like that! What the hell!"
 
As Key continues his 'why-you-should-not-scare-people' lecture, Jonghyun stands, his face framed with a creeped out expression. "I just said hey.." And he says it so miserably, so quietly, that it just makes me want to bear hug him.
 
But of course, that will have to wait until the lecture is over.
 
"Heya, Taemin!"
 
My eyes flicker from the bickering couple to Kai, walking towards us with his usual sunny grin. The twinkle in his eyes was covered by a pair of shades, and a towel was flung over his shoulder.
 
Then, my eyes slowly trail down.
 
Holy mother of sweet baby jesus.
 
Kai. Shirtless. Kai shirtless. In my full glory-- with the sun shining so brightly and heaven-like and all sweet things ing hell holy . "Kai!" My voice wavers, like the ty voice it is as I wave at him enthusastically.
 
I see Minho stiffen besides me on his beach towel like the rock he is, and I brush it off as another one of his moody-things.
 
I push my hands down on the sand and stand up as Kai joins me, accidentally kicking some sand in Minho's face as a result.
 
"Ow-- Taemin! There's sand in my eyes!"
 
"Oh god! Sorry hyung, let me go get some water to wash it off--"
 
"Taemin, let's go swimming." 
 
"No, Kai, wait I have to--"
 
"Taemin! It ing burns!"
 
"Taemin, the water is nice today. Let's go."
 
"Wait, where's the water bottle--"
 
"Taemin! My eyes! They're freaking dying!"
 
"Taemin, it must be really hot. The water is chilly so it'll feel better, let's go."
 
"Where is the ing water bottle dammit--"
 
"Taemin! Hurry up! Jesus Christ, my eyes, ow ow ow!"
 
"Taemin, after that we can go get some ice cream by the stand nearby!"
 
"WHERE THE ING HELL IS THE WATER BOTTLE--"
 
"MY EYES TAEMIN! MY EYES!"
 
"LETS GO SWIMMING I SAID!"
 
"Guys.. guys, be quiet--" Jonghyun begins to say, but his voice is barely there, being blocked out by our frantic, childish screaming.
 
"THE WATER BOTTLE! I THOUGHT I PACKED IT--"
 
"I'M GOING TO BE BLIND!"
 
"THE WATER IS GOING TO GET TOO HOT, TAEMIN! LET'S, LET'S JUST GO--"
 
"Guys!" Jonghyun laughs nervously, eyes frantically flickering from each one of us to another. "Guys, guys--"
 
"ING HELL! THE WATER BOTTLE DAMMIT! WHERE THE TY IS IT?!"
 
"I WONT EVER GET TO BE IN SHINEE AGAIN IF I CAN'T SEE!"
 
"I BET THE ICE CREAM IN THE ICE CREAM STAND IS GOING TO MELT IF WE WAIT ANY LONGER!"
 
"Guys!" Jonghyun cries out loudly, arms reaching out to stop our crazy movements.
 
"DID SOMEONE STEAL MY WATER BOTTLE--"
 
"HOW CAN I EVER SEE MY BEAUTIFUL FACE AGAIN IF I CAN'T SEE DAMMIT!"
 
"TAEMIN I HEARD THAT THERE'S SHARKS IN THE WATER BY 6 PM AND IT'S ABOUT TO BE 6 PM SOON SO LET'S GO NOW."
 
"Hey-- stop screaming!" Jonghyun pathetically tries again, even if he knows its no use. He sends a pleading look to Key, tugging on his shirt adorably. 
 
Key sighs dramatically with an eye roll, before letting his arms lay limply to his sides. He does a small cough.
 
Nobody gives a .
 
He does another cough, a bit louder this time. "Ahem."
 
Nobody even notices.
 
His nostrils flare. "Are you guys seriously ignoring me?!"
 
That gets brushed off too. "MINHO IS GOING TO BE BLIND AND IT'S ALL MY FAULT I NEED TO FIND THE WATER BOTTLE--"
 
"YES IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT YOU BRAT!"
 
"LET'S GO SWIMMING AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER TAEMIN!"
 
"SHUT THE UP!"
 
Silence.
 
We're all frozen. One of my hands is clutching a soda can and the other is throwing away some lotion from the bag which i'm trying to find the god damn water bottle. 
 
Kai is stuck on his pleading expression, trying to reach out to touch my shoulder.
 
Minho's eyes are covered frantically by his clenched fists and his lips are pulled back into a deep frown.
 
"Taemin, apologize."
 
I duck my head. "Sorry, Minho hyung."
 
"Well, apology unaccepted--"
 
"Minho."
 
He grumbles a few incohorent words under his breath, eyes still covered and lips still in that lazy smug frown. "It's okay, Taemin."
 
The 'not' is soon muttered for all of us to hear, but Key brushes it off. "Kai, take Taemin to swim. I'll help Minho."
 
Kai is all smiles and sunshine now, enthusastically wobbling over to me, grabbing my hand and giving Key a thankful look. I don't miss the frown on Minho's lips press into a thin, irritated line as I let myself be dragged away by the cheery boy.
 
*~*~*~*~*
 
"I thought we were going to swim?"
 
"It's a little too hot now." Kai replies, a little irritated. "Because of Minho, we wasted so much time--"
 
"Hey, it's not his fault okay, it's mine." I defend the elder, even though he has been nothing but a pile of jealous mush these past few days. "I kicked sand in his eyes, I should be the one helping him get it out."
 
"Well isn't it his fault for keeping his eyes open?"
 
"Kai, that's just stupid--"
 
"No, why did he have to stare at you, with his usual big eyes? Why couldn't he look away?"
 
"You're insane." I laugh half-heartedly, even though a part of me was a bit annoyed. How can you even begin to accuse someone of having their eyes open? Pfft. "Anyway, can we go get the ice cream now?"
 
"Yeah sure, anything for you," He smiles playfully, before holding onto my hand and dragging me across the sunny, glowing beach.
 
We arrive at the cart in a minute, eagerly scanning through the dozens of options for the treat. "The mint chocolate chip looks good-- but so does the coffee flavored. What do you suggest?"
 
"The mint chocolate chip, I want that."
 
"Alright." He happily fishes his wallet out of his short pocket, opening it and searching for the right amount of cash.
 
I feel slightly guilty, but since I didn't bring any cash with me-- I can't exactly be generous and offer to pay. Being the loser I am, I pretend to be ignorant and focus on the fancy designs on the cart.
 
He hands me my cone a little later, smiling gleefuly before taking a of his own. "Where do you want to go now?"
 
I'm a little blank for a few seconds, but then the idea finally hits me and I smile a little sheepishly. "Kai.."
 
"Yeah?" He perks an eyebrow. "Tell me. I'll take you there."
 
"I've never actually, properly met your bandmates." I say, though albeit quietly. "So.. could we go now?"
 
He seems a little surprised, but his face breaks out into a smile soon after. "Yeah, sure. They're all in the dorm watching movies."
 
*~*~*~*~*
I regret it.
 
Because soon, i'm standing in a room, (quite awkwardly, I add), with a pair of five eyes staring incrediously back at me. They've all turned from the sofa to gaze at me and inspect me with such detail, I feel like their gazes are sort of judgemental.
 
I fidget uncomfortably. Why did I have to suggest this..
 
"Guys, i've decided to let a proper meeting happen between all of you," Kai begins, staying so closely to my side that I could practically feel the heat radiate off his body. "And--"
 
"What, are you two dating now?" Chanyeol asks from the very far end of the corner, eyes slightly wide and lips parted in surprisement. But when he sees our awkward gazes, his eyes enlarge even more. He's now waving his hands around frantically. "Oh and it's totally okay if you are dating, I mean, I totally am fine with it-- I mean, I have my own personal feelings for--"
 
He trails off, when he notices the thick tension in the air.
 
"Uh." His eyes flicker awkwardly from each person in the room. "I'll.. i'll just stop talking now."
 
He ducks his head, a little embarrassed as he wallows himself in self-pity, right as Baekhyun smacks him on the head, muttering a low 'idiot.'
 
"Um. Well. Okay." Kai shifts on one foot to another, knowing that we were already walking through the lively path of absurd mothering disaster. Just great. I want to properly, and politely of course, introduce myself to Kai's close bandmates and everything just s up and kicks me in the balls.
 
Ouch.
 
"Uh, anyway.. i'll.. i'll just let you meet them one by one." He mumbles quietly to me, eyes still trained to the floor. I nod subtly.
 
Suho is the first one to rush off the sofa and walk up to me, casually. He smiles, and i'm a little ataken back, because wow his smile is ing charming. He tells me how nice it is to be in his presence as if i'm some fallen angel, and tells me that he hopes Kai is treating me well and all that other parental stuff that endlessly pours out of his lips.
 
Then there's Sehun wobbling over to me, hands stuffed deep down in his pocket and bangs falling adorably over his head. "Um.. hi."
 
"Hi."
 
He meets my gaze for a second, before staring down at the floor again. I mentally squeal, because he's ing cute and if he was a kid I would not hesitate to adopt him and dress him up and all that girly -- I did not know the inner me had. "Uh. Um."
 
"Uh."
 
"Well.."
 
"Um."
 
"I'll.. i'll just go now.."
 
And it ends there, with a very ridiculous (and in my opinion, adorable) hand wave and I just watch blankly as he slowly spins around and shuffles back to the sofa in silence. Well, that was a very interesting introduction.
 
Note my sarcasm.
 
It's then another very inelegant, clumsy being stumbling to me with one of the biggest, brightest grins I have ever seen in my entire life. "Hi! I'm Park Chanyeol!"
 
"I'm Taemin." 
 
I try to make my grin as lively and sunny as his-- but it probably comes out as a grimace because his grin falters and his eyebrows furrow. "Do you.. do you know that Kai has a nice body?"
 
I'm mentally floundering.
 
"Uh.. yes, yes I do know that." I want to stop there because this is a topic I didn't think i'd be conversing with someone, but Chanyeol seems like the only light in a sickly dark room. He just shines. With his awkwardness, but it's still a bonus. "I actually.. saw him shirtless a few times. Nice abs he has, huh?"
 
Chanyeol bobs his head up and down positively. "He has a hot body. Not even I have such a body! But i'm not attracted to him. I mean, he's gloriously y and all, but he's like not my type. The cute, funny ones are my type. Ha! Those guys are kinda rare, right? But I found one, but i'm just not sure if he likes me. He's cute, funny and y at the same time! What a bonus, right?! All I have to do is make a move on him! I was planning to do it today--"
 
Wow. Talking a lot is just an understatement.
 
He's like a ing carton of milk. Words are pouring out of his lips and once he starts-- he can't. Unless you shut him up, of course.
 
"Ooh, that's nice. How are you going to do it?"
 
Sure, a question just leaded to another bundle of non-stop talking, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't curious for the answer, anyway.
 
"Well, we're eating pizza today and usually, we're the only ones who stay up late. I was kinda.. deciding to ask him out then."
 
Sure, it wasn't the best way to ask someone out-- but still, I don't think you could expect extravagent ideas from.. from this guy.
 
"That's nice!"
 
And Baekhyun pulls him away before he can ramble on and on about how totally nervous he is-- and how he wants to marry him right after and all that cheesy muck. I'm a little relieved, because Baekhyun seems like one of the normal people in this room, besides Suho, of course.
 
"Sorry about that, Taemin, he's really talkative." He chuckles softly. "Once he starts, he just can't stop."
 
"Yeah I can see that," I peek over Baekhyun's shoulder to see him spewing out word vomit to Kai, who looks like he wants to facepalm himself. 
 
"So, you and Kai, huh? You guys are pretty close.."
 
I meet his gaze again, and I smile. "Oh, we are. Not in that way though. Everyone keeps mistaking our bond to be something else.."
 
"I understand." He nods, an aesthetic smile playing on his lips. "It's frog boy, isn't it?"
 
I mentally laugh at how literally everyone goes by a nickname related to frog around here. "Um, yeah." I hope i'm not blushing, because then I would appear myself as some cheesy school girl and I don't want to make a bad impression on a cool guy.
 
"Why don't you tell him then?"
 
I blink.
 
Well.. another surprise.
 
"Uh, i'm not sure he feels the same way--"
 
"Don't ever doubt someone's feelings. Worrying over how someone else feels about you is wasting your time and you're just going to think negative thoughts. Just do it."
 
Surprise surprise.
 
I'd never expect actual advice spewing out of a guy who's adorably way too cute to be possible, but I smile anyway, just for the heck of it-- even though I have the urge to run straight through the window and get the hell out of here. "Well, thank you for your advice, Baekhyun."
 
"It's no problem."
 
And then he flashes me a dazzling grin, before spinning on his heel and strutting off.
 
I breathe. 
 
One more to go.
 
Oh .
 
Said 'one more' is supposedly the guy who has insane feelings for Kai.
 
And Kai, being the oblivious retard he is-- is all over me.
 
Damn.
 
"Hi, Kyungsoo." I try to start the conversation a little fresh and cheerful, but his face is just a blank sheet of paper and he's trying to force out a smile. 
 
"Hi, Taemin."
 
"So.. how are you?"
 
I feel as if this is even more awkward than conversing with Sehun.
 
"Um.." He mumbles, the smile faltering completely. "Not so good."
 
I don't want to ask why I don't want to ask why I don't want to ask why--
 
"Oh, why is that?"
 
Great. Lee Taemin you officially . Idiot. 
 
Our eyes lock for a second, before he looks away again. "None of your business."
 
Ow.
 
"Oh, i'm sorry--"
 
"Kyungsoo, can we talk?"
 
I almost jump out of my skin at the sudden arrival of the usually happy voice-- laced with irritation. Kai is standing besides Kyungsoo, well was, because now he's just dragging him away to the bedroom.
 
Uh.
 
Well.
 
"Meanwhile, you can just come watch a movie with us."
 
I obey and before I know it, i'm comfortably sitting in one of the sofas, as we watch The Avengers.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
KAI'S POV
 
 
"What's wrong with you?" I snap as soon as I push him inside, slamming the door shut behind me. He's frozen, eyes narrowed but lips slightly quivering.
 
"All he was trying to do was make a conversation with you!"
 
"Why do you care so much anyway?"
 
"Oh, maybe because you're the talkative one, Kyungsoo! What happened to you?! You're so cold these days--"
 
"I'm surprised you've noticed."
 
My eyes narrow. "Of course I noticed. Everyone noticed. You've been acting like some drama queen these past few days, and great, you've just hurt Taemin!"
 
"Ooh," He laughs. It's bitter and disgusting, sending shivers straight down my spine. "Does Taemin have a boo boo? Are you going to kiss it better?"
 
"What the hell is wrong with you," I try to say this calmly, but it ends up as a ferocious, low growl. "You're not even Kyungsoo. You've changed."
 
And somehow, those two sentences just snap something inside of him, and before I know it, he's storming right up to me.
 
"I've changed? I've changed?!" He yells, voice wavering and eyes-- holy , tears are pricking his eyes. He shoves a finger in my chest and I stumble back."Why don't you take the time to look at yourself, huh?"
 
"I'm not the one who's changed, Kyungsoo!"
 
"Oh please," He shakes his head, fists clenching and unclenching. "You're like a ing love sick puppy! Look at yourself! You've been chasing Taemin 24 ing 7. You're not even around to hang out with us anymore! While we're watching movies, to have a little bond time, you're with a guy who loves someone else. While we're having dinner together-- you're out with a guy who doesn't even think of you as much as you think of him! Face it Kai, Taemin does not love you."
 
I should've faced the fact, a long time ago. Then maybe it wouldn't hurt so much when he says flat out to my face.
 
"I-- how would.. how would you know that," Don't cry don't cry don't cry. 
 
His face softens.
 
"Kai." His voice is quiet. "Please, stop this. Stop chasing after him. We know who he loves, and you can't change that--"
 
"You haven't seen me try."
 
And then-- I see the sight of something i'd never think i'd ever see.
 
His palm is up, and my eyes widen for a second-- because what is he doing holy holy oh my ing god holy mother of--
 
And he slaps me.
 
I can feel the stinging in an instant, but he had a heart to do it not too hard.
 
But my cheek doesn't, my heart does. 
 
My best friend. Is getting me to realize the guy I love does not ing love me. My best friend, of all people. The only friend who understood me compared to anyone else. And for a bonus, he's slapped me.
 
He brings his hand to his side, eyes growing more watery. "Well I don't want you to try."
 
"Kyungsoo--"
 
"No, Kai. I-- I hate seeing you like this." A tear falls out of his eye, and I supress the urge to wipe it away almost immediately. I clench my fists to my sides painfully. "Remember? That time when we were in the living room? You got the call from Taemin to help you with his stupid 'plan'? You said, I can remember every word-- but Kai, you said, 'someone's going to get hurt in the end.''
 
I stay silent.
 
"And that said someone, is going to be you."
 
I can feel my own tears pool my eyes, but I don't make an effort to hold them back. "H-how would.. how would you know that?"
 
"Taemin will be with Minho. That leaves the guy who tried to help. Kai, you can't change Taemin to love you-- and we both know that. You just don't want to accept it."
 
"I--"
 
"Can't you just face the fact that Minho is the only one who Taemin sees in his heart? Kai, you can try. You can try all you want, but I know that it isn't going to work. We know it's not going to work. Heck, even Minho loves Taemin-- you can see that. Either way, you're going to be alone."
 
"Why can't I just try--"
 
"Because it wont work!" He snaps loudly, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me back and forth to get the message in me. But I feel so hollow, so empty now. "ing hell, Kai! Listen to me! You cannot do this! I do not want to see you hurt at the end!"
 
"You don't need to worry about me.."
 
Another tear. "Well too ing bad, i'm going to worry about you even if you don't like it! You're my best friend-- you were. What happened? Oh right, Taemin happened."
 
He reaches out to wipe the tear below my eye-- and it just hits me that i'm crying with him, aswell. Oh man, i'm so tough. "Y-you can't blame him.."
 
"I'm not blaming him. I'm blaming you for being such an idiot."
 
And then he just pulls me close to him and all I can feel is the tears running down my face. His arms are around me tightly, and I can feel him shaking and it doesn't take an idiot to know he's crying, too. 
 
When I finally process what's happening, I hesitantly lift my arms and put them around his back, nuzzling my face in the crook of his neck. Maybe it was just my silly imagination, but I swear, his breath just hitched and he muttered something along the lines of 'you oblivious idiot.'
 
"I'm sorry, K-kyungsoo. I'm an idiot." I sob pathetically in his arms. "I'll try, okay? I'll try for you. Just for you, Kyungsoo."
 
He tightens his grip on me. "Good."
 
*~*~*~*~*
TAEMIN'S POV
 
I can't concentrate on the movie, because the background noises are the muffled screams coming from inside the bedroom. Baekhyun tried to put the volume higher-- it worked for a second, before I heard a sob. An actual sob. Oh great. It's crying now?
 
Kai comes out soon after, and i'm about to breath a huge sigh of relief and excitedly join his side-- but he comes out with Kyungsoo.
 
His arm around him, eyes red and puffy and practically joined to the hip with the other. He forces a smile. "Taemin is it okay if--"
 
"Oh, it's fine," I nod quickly, standing up and hurriedly rushing over to the other side. "Sorry if I was a distraction," I apologize to the boys on the sofa, and then to Kai. "I'm sorry if I--"
 
"No, it's fine, i'm just not in the mood any more."
 
"A-alright."
 
I feel like such a loner. Great. Kyungsoo is with Kai. Key is with Jonghyun.
 
That leaves.
 
Minho.
I rush my steps through the hallway, earning a few irritated looks from the reception guy on the way too. In a matter of a few minutes of exhausted running, i'm back where I was before.
 
"I thought you were hanging out with Kai?" Key perks a curious eyebrow, leaning back against the towel. 
 
"Uhh.. yeah. He kinda had a fight with Kyungsoo and he's not in the mood anymore."
 
"Kyungsoo... kyungsoo. Doesn't ring a bell."
 
I roll my eyes, sitting besides him and a little amazed to find Minho happily splashing around in the water with Onew and Jonghyun. "The guy who has crazy feelings for Kai?"
 
"Oh him! The guy with big eyes! Right, so what happened?" He sounds smug.
 
"They.. fought? Not sure what about, really. But they ended up crying too. Anyway they're alright now I think."
 
Key simply nods. "Why don't you go join them over there? I need some rest."
 
"Alright then."
 
I feel like i'm intruding their little moment, but I rush on over and remove my t-shirt, anyway. Slowly, I walk into the water and Jonghyun, alongside with Onew, are grinning and gesturing me to come even further. 
 
I splash around with the two for a while-- I don't think I have the guts to splash Minho after what I did, anyway.
 
But then I feel a heavy splash on my back, and I whip around to see Minho-- asdfghjkl!! grinning quite cheekily. 
 
And I smile.
 
ijsaiowasiao
yes im so sorry i didnt update AGAIN in a while because i just /hits myself over and over again
but hopefully this will make it up to you! :D
yay for kaisoo-- that idea has been in my mind for a while. i'm glad to finally put it out. 
and yay for 2min too.
AND JONGKEY WILL GET THEIR YAY SOON ENOUGH
Anyway I hope you enjoy! :D 
 
and omg have you guys seen this
/dies and goes to heaven
just look at them lovebirds
credit to; (x)
Theres been so many 2min moments lately :DD