Shy Suzy

Why Don't You Just Jump?

 

I showed JunHong around before classes started. Fortunately, we were in the same homeroom. We sat next to each other and I told JunHong about the teacher and the class. Soon the teacher arrived and we all stood and greeted him.

“Good morning, class,” Mr. Hahn said, “We have a new student. Will you please introduce yourself?”

JunHong stood. “Hello, everyone! My name is Choi JunHong! I’m really happy to be here and I hope you will all treat me well!” As he sat down girls were craning their necks to look at him and giggling.

“Thank you, JunHong. Now, who will show JunHong around?”

Hands shot up all over the class.

“Saya has already shown me around, sir.”

“Saya?” Mr. Hahn asked, “I don’t think we have a Saya…”

“Um, Suzy?” JunHong said instead.

“Ah, yes! Well then thank you Suzy! Please continue to be so helpful.” He smiled and began to speak to the entire class. I facepalmed. Even my own teacher didn’t know my correct name.

JunHong and I were separated for the rest of the day. When lunchtime came around I was a bit worried we wouldn’t be able to find each other. My school had a cafeteria but many students opted to eat outside if the weather wasn’t too hot or cold. Today was one of those well-balanced days. I headed outside. I didn’t hear from JunHong so I decided to have lunch with JongUp as usual. Out of the corner of my eye I saw JunHong at a table with a guy and two girls. My eyes widened when I recognized the guy he was sitting with – Bang YongGuk, the school gangster. So the other girls had to be YongGuk’s girlfriend, Song JiEun and her best friend Jeon HyoSung. I sighed and was about to turn around when I saw JunHong waving at me with both his arms. Everyone at the table turned my way. I froze.

“Saya!” JunHong shouted. I bit my lip. Eotteoke? If I just walked away now I would look rude but I was scared to sit with a bunch of people I didn’t know. I literally wanted to cry at the thought. So I did what I did when I was younger and wanted to escape a scary situation: I held my breath. I started to see white spots in front of my eyes and my head hurt but I didn’t breathe. Seconds later, I out.

When I woke up I was laying in a bed in the nurse’s office. I sat up.

“You’re awake!” Two voices shouted. I turned to see JongUp and JunHong.

“What happened to you?” JunHong asked.

“I fainted,” I said, avoiding JongUp’s eyes. He would know what I had done. I didn’t just go around fainting all willy-nilly.

“JunHong,” JongUp said tersely, “Let me have some time alone with my sister.”

“Oh…ok. Feel better, Saya!” He said as he left.

I kept my eyes down.

“Saya…”

“What?”

“Why did you make yourself pass out?”

I huffed. “It doesn’t have to be on purpose you know.”

“Yeah, it doesn’t but it’s you and…I know you.”

“I just…panicked.”

“Wae?”

“JunHong invited me to his lunch table and there were some people there that I don’t know”

“Why didn’t you just walk away? You didn’t have to go this far!”

“I didn’t want to look like a pabo, ok? I freaked out!”

“Saya, I thought you stopped doing this.”

“I have! I just –”

“If this JunHong guy is making you panic like this and hurt yourself I’m going to make sure you two stay away from each other.”

“Oppa, no! This was my fault not JunHong’s! How would he know I would do this?”

The nurse came over and checked my temperature.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

“I’m a lot better. Thank you.”

“You’re free to go now then, dear.” She handed me a slip for my teacher to know I had been ill.

I nodded and hopped off the bed.

“You can go to your class oppa, I’m fine.”

“Alright. I can take a hint.” He walked off in one direction, and I in the other. When I got to my classroom I took a deep breath and entered. I immediately spotted JunHong’s blue and blonde hair. Great. I handed my slip to the teacher and went to sit in an empty seat at the back of the class. JunHong looked back at me and mouthed, “Are you ok?” I nodded and motioned for him to turn around before he got in trouble. When school was finally over I headed to bus stop to meet JongUp.

“Saya!” JunHong came running up to me. “Are you ok?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I guess I was a little tired or something.”

“That . I wanted you to sit with us.”

“Us?”

“With me and the new friends I made today! But I guess you already had friends to sit with right?”

“Oh, um, yeah…”

“Are you too busy to come have bubble tea with me?”

My day instantly brightened. “I’d love to, let me just call JongUp…”

Soon we were on the bus heading into the city. I reflected on the day. It had been…eventful. I shuddered when I thought about fainting again. I had promised myself I would never do that again but I hadn’t felt that kind of pressure since I had dated HimChan and I didn’t know what to do. Thinking about HimChan made me uneasy again. Since the term had started we had ignored each other and now today all of a sudden he announced he was still after me.  I must have looked troubled because JunHong asked me if I was ok again. I nodded but he didn’t seem to believe me. He reached for my hand and squeezed it reassuringly. I smiled at the warmth that spread through my body when he held my hand. We got off the bus in front of the café and went in. It was a little crowded which made me nervous but JunHong held my hand again and guided me to a table.

“I’ll get the drinks and bring them back. What flavour do you want?”

“Green tea, please.” He nodded and returned about ten minutes later with his drink and mine.

“Hey,” I said, “How did you know about this place if you just moved here?”

“I checked out the city when we came to visit the house. I believe that was the first time we saw each other.”

I couldn’t hide my look of surprise. I knew I remembered glimpsing him but I’d had no idea he remembered me. I couldn’t help but feel a little special.


Not that much happening this chapter >_< but thank you all for subscribing! Please anticipate the upcoming chapters! :D