The Dance - Part 1

Why Don't You Just Jump?

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ8E5DiM5rI


The school’s dance was a huge deal. Since we wore uniforms all the time everyone would get overly excited to dress up. It was a time when we could all let our hair down without being reprimanded or frowned at by our teachers. I had never been before though, not even with JongUp. The situation was just too intense for me. So many people crowded together, loud music, dancing for everyone to see, being stared at, I could just never imagine being there – but now I had to and I was actually a little excited. I took the dress and shoes HimChan had gotten for me out of the closet. Then I realized I hadn’t even looked at the shoes. I opened the box and gasped. He had gotten a pristine pair of white pumps. They were beautiful and would match the dress perfectly. I took a long, warm shower to begin my preparations. I was paranoid about dirtying the dress so I did my hair and makeup and pulled the dress on from my feet.

 

I had to say I was satisfied with my image which was a new feeling for me. I walked out of my room and knocked on JongUp’s door.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m ready,” he called. He opened his door and stepped back. “Wow, Saya! You look beautiful! Where did you get that outfit?”

“Ah…”

“Oh no, HimChan?”

“Yes, oppa.”

JongUp shrugged. “Let’s go before he has a fit because you’re not on time.”

I giggled and followed JongUp downstairs. When my mom saw me her face lit up.

“Saya! My precious little daughter! You look beautiful! Are you back with JunHong?”

I winced. My mom knew we had broken up but she didn’t know why.

“No, mom. I…have someone else.”

“Already?”

I blushed. “I knew him before I knew JunHong.”

She shrugged. “You crazy teenagers jump around like if you don’t reach your quota of boyfriends you’ll die.” She shook her head and started talking about her generation. JongUp and I quietly backed out of the kitchen and waited for my mom outside. She continued to brag about her generation until we got to the entrance of the school.  When we arrived outside the school I texted HimChan to let him know I was there. I hastily exited the car and shooed my mom away. In seconds HimChan was by my side gushing about how amazing I looked. JongUp took that as his cue to leave. HimChan held my hand tightly.  

“Let’s go!”

When we stepped into the auditorium all eyes swung our way. HimChan placed his hand on my back reminding me to stand tall and hold my head up. I nodded subtly and we made our way over to a table. Even though the music was loud I could still tell everyone was talking about us. We sat and HimChan leaned towards me.

“People are going to sit with us.”

I gulped and nodded. HimChan placed his hand on mine. “You can do this. I know you can.”

I nodded again. Sooner than I wanted, a couple sat with us.

“It seems you’ve redeemed yourself.” A handsome boy said to HimChan, “I thought you were disappearing with that Zelo kid around but apparently not.”

“We all know I’m the real kingka, DaeHyun. Some people just needed a little reminder,” HimChan answered, looking pointedly in DaeHyun’s eyes.

DaeHyun smirked. “Is that comment directed towards me?”

HimChan smirked back. “Yes it is, Jung DaeHyun, seeing as our friendship has miraculously begun again.”

DaeHyun rolled his eyes. “Everyone needs a little break from you at some point in time, HimChan. Isn’t that right, Suzy?”

I jumped when DaeHyun said my name and the girl he was with snickered. I glared at her and she immediately sobered up. I turned back to DaeHyun and he smiled but it didn’t reach his eyes.

“I wish I had gotten to you before HimChan did,” he sighed. The girl next to him huffed.

“Look, why don’t you go get some punch or something?” DaeHyun snapped. The girl shoved her chair back and left the table. DaeHyun tsked after her and shook his head.

“Good girls are so hard to find…” he said. I tried not to but I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. DaeHyun seemed to think he was the hottest thing since sliced bread. He caught my eye roll and raised his eyebrows.

“Something wrong, Suzy?” He asked.

“Yeah,” I answered, “Your attitude.”

My attitude? I’m not the one rolling my eyes out of my head.”

I couldn’t stand this punk. I got up from the table to get some food and drinks for HimChan and myself. On the way I bumped into a solid figure.

“Mianheyo~” I said but the guy held me back. I looked up. Bang YongGuk. He looked dead serious. I looked back for HimChan but it was too crowded. Where was JongUp when I needed him?!

“Come with me,” YongGuk’s deep voice commanded. I followed him outside to the outdoor cafeteria.

“Can – can I help you?” I asked timidly.

“You don’t have to act so scared. I just want to talk to you.”

I waited about a minute for him to say anything.

“This is about Zelo,” he finally stated. I wanted to leave but I wasn’t sure how YongGuk would react to that.

“You guys should talk. He’s miserable.”

“He looks fine to me,” I muttered.

“Well, he’s not,” YongGuk said shortly, “I know we don’t know each other but our connection is that we both care about Zelo.”

“Both of us? Please, I don’t care about JunHong and even if I did I would never go back to him. Maybe he didn’t tell you but he cheated on me on the day after he asked me to be his girlfriend!”

“He didn’t cheat on you! If you would listen to what happened you would know that!”

Listen to him? I saw him kissing HyoSung and there is no explanation –”

“You know what? You don’t deserve JunHong.”

If I had been closer to YongGuk I would have slapped him. My face was livid but that didn’t stop YongGuk.

“Have you noticed he’s not here tonight? He can’t take seeing you latched onto that Kim HimChan. If you ever really cared about him you would realize how much he misses being with you. If you ever really cared then you would listen to what he has to say. You know he didn’t have to be with you right? But he wanted to. Why? I have no idea now. He made you seem a lot nicer than you actually are.” He walked past me back inside.

Were all guys just idiots? Why was I supposed to listen to JunHong after what he did? I couldn’t say I didn’t still have feelings for him, if I didn’t I wouldn’t get so upset whenever I laid eyes on him. But I was through with JunHong. He had lost his chance and no matter what anyone said I wasn’t giving him a second chance to break my heart.