Birthdays

Robot Boyfriend: Insanity Level 1000

In the end, Luhan didn't wake up at the end of the week.

The other EXO-K robot-turned-boys had recovered one by one. All of them went through various operations to correct their bodies back to being human again.

The citizens of South Korea were appalled that something like that had actually happened. It was the basic infringement of human rights.

Yang Joowan was, no doubt, jailed for the rest of his life, and those scientists that had worked with him dealt with similar punishments.

Mr and Mrs Xi ran a DNA test and found that Luhan was indeed their son. They came to see Haejung as their daughter-in-law, welcoming her to their home whenever she visited.

Haejung had transferred Luhan's things over to his parents house in case he woke up and he had a home to return to.

In case he woke up.

The doctors were were glum about it, not at all optimistic. They told her if Luhan didn't wake by a week, he would likely sleep for the rest of his life.

Thank goodness Mr and Mrs Lu were rich enough to pay the hospital bills, because Luhan stayed unconscious for a whooping six months.

He fell unconscious in November and it was already the the next year's April.

But Haejung didn't give up hope ever. She visited him every single day after school for a few hours before she went to the eatery to help out. Her spare time was spent at the hospital, and there was even a wardrobe of her belongings that the nurses had arranged for her.

She spent so much time there, it was almost a second home.

She watched Luhan sleep every single day. Those bright sparkling eyes of his closed all the time, his breathing slow and light.

She missed him. So so much.

"Luhan...when are you waking up?" Haejung murmured, grabbing his hands.

Six months had passed, Haejung outgrew her shoulder length hair and now donned a longer hair style. She was still beautiful as always, but if you just looked closely, you'd notice the sadness speckled in her eyes, and the traces of fatigue worn into her face.

Haejung brushed Luhan's bangs from his face. His hair was kind of long now, it grew pretty quickly. But Haejung was glad it needed cutting, it was a signal of life, wasn't it?

"Luhan, don't you think this sleep has gone on for long enough?" she asked. "Don't you know what day it is today? I've been telling you about it for so long, you remember do you?" she cracked a smile.

"Luhan," Haejung smiled softy. "Today, it's your-"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUHAN!!!" the door burst opened to reveal eleven EXO boys. Sehun was holding onto balloons, Suho with the cake, Tao waving pom poms around.

Xiumin beamed at Haejung and walked over to Luhan. "Aigoo man! You're so lazy! It's your birthday and you're still asleep?" he pretended to be angry. "Sloth!"

Haejung smiled. If it hadn't been for the EXO boys, she doubted she would last this long.

The EXO-K boys had returned to their original lifestyles before they had been kidnapped to be robots, and were now back to school and their family. They could remember about their past lives pretty well and everything returned to normal.

The EXO-K boys hit it off with the EXO-M boys as if they were brothers and they soon formed a new handsome bachelor group called EXOPLANET.

Haejung had shaken her head. First Luhan was a robot and now the boys wanted to be aliens?

"Haejung noona!" Sehun bounded over to Haejung. "Kai hyung bullied me again!" he complained.

Kai's eyes widened and he whacked Sehun's head. "What the fudge are you talking about?" he snapped. "I'm so nice to you."

"See?" Sehun shrieked. "Abuse!!"

"Babies please calm down and lets sing the song for Luhan." Kris ordered, setting the cake down on the table. The EXO boys had prepared a wonderful cake in advance of April 20th, researching recipes and buying ingredients.

It was a cake like no other. A cake that cookie monster would die for.

The cake was covered in a million cookies and was just...HUGE. It resembled a giant cookie that was made up of cookies, it that made any sense.

The normal chocolate chip cookies were the base while the darker double chocolate cookies dotted around the cake, resembling the chocolate chips.

Lay and D.O. had spent nights perfecting this.

"Birthday song everyone!" Baekhyun announced. "Set the pitch. SAENGGGG~~" he sang.

"SAENGGGG~~~" the boys echoed after him.

Kris choked while Chanyeol's face was practically red. "Are you trying to kill us with the pitch?" he frowned, elbowing Baekhyun. "Only you and Chen would be able to handle that pitch!"

"Arraso Arraso I'll set the pitch." Kris grumbled in his y drawl. "Saeng~~~"

"Saengggg~~~~" everyone sang.

"Wait for us!" the door burst opened to reveal Mr and Mrs Xi, together with Mrs Yoo. They smiled brilliantly at the boys and joined in the circle.

"Okay one two three," Suho signaled.

"SAENGIL CHUKHAHABNIDA~ SAENGILCHUKHAHABNIDA~" everyone sang together.

Mrs Yoo chuckled and snapped a gazillion pictures.

"SAENGIL CHUKKKKK-----" around half the Exo boys (mainly the rappers) choked at this part, and only Baekhyun, Chen, D.O. and Suho could continue.

"-KKKHA URI LUHANNIEEEEE~~ SAENGILCHUKHA HABNIDA~~~" they finished grandly.

Tao threw a banana at Kris. "Your pitch was still too high!"

"That's because you can't sing you monk." Lay rolled his eyes.

"Let's cut the cake!!!" Sehun cheered excitedly and everyone crowded around the gigantic cake. Mrs Lu raised her brows. "What a....peculiar looking cake. Is there any meaning for the cookie shape?"

"Oh it's to represent that time when Luhan hyung didn't know what a guy and girl did in a hote-" Tao blurted, when Chen slammed his hand on the maknae's mouth.

"Ahehe. Cookies. Luhan hyung likes cookies." Chen smiled awkwardly.

The bunch of them grabbed Luhan's hand and pretended that he was holding the knife, as they guided his hand to cut the cake. The gang ate with gusto, creating much noise in the hospital but the nurses never found the heart to tell them to quieten down.

A few hours of partying with the birthday boy himself totally unaware of what was happening, the EXO boys slowly left. Mrs Yoo bade goodbye to Haejung, because she needed to tend the eatery.

Mr and Mrs Xi stayed for a bit, chatting with Haejung when Mrs Xi let out a large yawn. Mr Xi chuckled. "You're tired. We should head home." he led his wife to the door and smiled at Haejung. "You should too, Haejung."

Haejung nodded. "I will. After a bit." she promised. Mr Xi nodded understandingly and left.

Haejung finally let out a sigh and turned to Luhan, resting her head on is chest. "Luhan, your human birthday was fun wasn't it?" she mused. "Too bad you didn't even wake up to see the cake. It was really delicious."

Haejung chuckled softly. "You didn't know what Doojoon and Haneul were doing in the hotel room didn't you? That's why you asked the EXO-M boys and Kris told you they were eating cookies." she shook her head amusedly.

"How innocent can you get, Luhan?" she smiled softly. She let out a small sigh and looked at him. "But even when you didn't know what was happening, what was bothering me, why I was crying, you were there comforting me till dawn." she recalled.

"You were there when I got my heart broken." Haejung whispered. "You were there when I needed a friend. You were there to brighten up my life and there to make me believe in love again."

Haejung clutched Luhan's hands tighter. "But you haven't been here for six months already, Luhan. Six months." she whimpered. "Your body is but your mind and heart isn't. I miss you, I miss you so much."

A tear rolled down her cheek and landed on Luhan's thumb. It was the start of her regular waterworks and Haejung tried hard to stop them.

"Aigoo why am I crying again?" she grumbled, wiping the tears away. "I promised not to cry today."

"You turned 23 today, Luhan." Haejung tried to smile. "And next year 24, the next would be 25....26, 27..." she trailed off.

"Will I be able to celebrate it with you or will I have to spend it in the hospital like today?" she whispered. "Luhan please wake up, you've slept for a long time. Too long."

Haejung lowered her head, her tears dripping onto the mattress of the bed. "I'm scared, Luhan. I'm scared that you won't even be here to celebrate your next birthday, or mine. I'm scared." her bottom lip trembled.

She broke down into sobs, trembling uncontrollably. She tried so hard to smile everyday, for the EXO boys, for Mrs Yoo, for Luhan's parents.

But it was increasingly difficult to do so. She thought the pain would numb as time passed but it didn't seem to have that sort of an effect on her.

A day that passed with Luhan still unconscious meant an increase in chance that he would never wake.

She was frightened and she never felt so alone, even with the people around her.

"Jungie." there came a croak, and a weak hand rose to cup her cheek, the rough thumb running over her skin and wiping the tears away.

Haejung's head shot up, her eyes wide in surprise as they met a pair of brown tired orbs that looked right back. "Jungie," Luhan cracked a weak smile. "Stop crying."

Haejung gaped at him like a goldfish, much to her regret later. She could have flung her arms around him and cried, or kissed him, or gave any other reaction, but she could only stare.

Six months, she had dreamt of his moment for six months. Fantasized at least a thousand versions of this happening. And when it really did, she found she couldn't believe it really was taking place.

Luhan groaned when he tried to sit up, and that broke Haejung from her daze. She darted over to help him up, her eyes still wide and and mind abandoning her.

Luhan looked at her, his eyes searching hers desperately. "Jungie?" he murmured. "You do remember me do you? I mean, you've been talking to me for...I don't know how long was it, and you tell me you miss me everyday and I try so hard to reply but I just couldn't open my eyes....until today."

Haejung continued staring, her large eyes turning watery by the second.

"Jungie?" Luhan whispered, reaching out to caress her cheeks. "I heard everything. I really did. I thought you'd be happy for me to wake up but your reaction is frightening me. Please respond." he pleaded.

Haejung finally let out a heave and a lone tear made its way down her cheek. "I love you." she whispered, meeting his eyes. "And I miss you."

Luhan broke into that brilliant smile she missed so so much and his hand travelled to the nape of her neck, pulling her to him.

"I love you too." Luhan murmured, capturing her lips.

The kiss was clumsy, salty from the tears, and they had to stop so often because Haejung couldn't kiss and cry and breathe all too well at the same time, and Luhan would hold her while she cried her heart out and wait.

But...it was the best darn kiss ever in the world.