Luhan

Robot Boyfriend: Insanity Level 1000

The EXO-M boys and Haejung did everything within their ability to find out what secrets the RB company was hiding. They did everything they could and Haejung never really rested in peace because she really wanted to free Luhan from that place.

She needed him.

The boys read the site again and again, trying to find out if they missed any vital information. Kris drew a mindmap and he added things, this and that, trying to figure out if Luhan wasn't a robot what he was.

Lay even got his female cousin to try to order a boyfriend from the RB company so that they might get Luhan out of there. Even if the boyfriend assigned to his cousin wasn't Luhan, they still had a chance of investigating these "Robots".

However it turned out to be futile because there had to be a deposite of 5 million won before the robot boyfriend was to be rented and the youngsters couldn't afford it.

Haejung had been able to rent Luhan because she was the test-drive. Since Luhan seemed to be working perfectly well, the company was now charging every hour of the robot boyfriend's services.

Haejung wondered if the memory altering pill Chen talked about had actually worked within this period of time and if Luhan actually forgot about her again. Or maybe the RB company rented him out to another rich ahjumma who could afford his services and he was somewhere else.

The EXO-M boys went to the RB company daily and camped outside, where Xiumin even worked out a timetable so they could have shifts to keep an eye on the company. They couldn't get inside easily now even from the backdoor because it was locked all the time, unlike Chen's fortunate incident where he slipped in.

The man himself, Dr Yang, was nowhere to be seen and it seemed he never even left the building.

Haejung was dying of curiosity and longing as she waited for the truth to unveil itself. She desperately desperately wanted Luhan back to her side again and she was willing to do everything for it.

Haejung decided that a walk around town would clear her mind so that she could solve this mystery better. Her mother urged her to go out of the house too, since all that Haejung did was to stare at the computer screen as she researched on robots and the likes.

Haejung finally agreed when she actually fell asleep on her study table and she decided that the walk was pretty much necessary right then. Hence she slipped on Luhan's baseball jacket and a pair of faded skinny jeans, trotting out of the house with a slip of paper in which she printed the RB company's rules.

Haejung took the bus to the nearby cafe and found a nice spot where she could drink her frappe and gloss over the rules over and over again. She had highlighted, underlined, bolded the words here and there on that sheet of paper so much that it was practically rainbow in colour.

Haejung propped her chin up with her elbows and puffed her cheeks. "Eotteohke?" she mumbled to herself softly. "We don't seem to be going anywhere."

She took out her phone and slid it open, the screen instantly blinking into life. Haejung stared at the wall paper where Luhan and her took a picture together.

It was that day when both of them fell sick together. When they were cuddling on the couch and Mrs Yoo was making porridge for them, Luhan suddenly wanted to take a picture. He took her phone and positioned it in front of then, slipping an arm round her.

Just as he was about to take the picture, he leaned in and pecked her cheek.

Haejung stared at the photo, a lump coming into . Her face at that instant was pure surprise and happiness. She had been sick and suffering, drowsy and grumpy, but at the same time she never felt so happy in her life to have Luhan by her side.

Now that he wasn't around, her world seemed to be tipped upside down and back to before she met him and became friends with the EXO-M boys. It seemed worse.

Haejung sighed and slipped her phone back into her pocket. "Read the rules read the rules." Haejung murmured, frowning and scanning through the familiar words again.

"Excuse me."

Haejung looked up to see a middle aged couple of around her mother's age, smiling down at her. "Are these two seats taken? Can we sit here?" the woman smiled warmly. "There aren't any other spaces around the cafe anymore."

Haejung looked around. Sure enough, all the other spaces had been filled.

She gave a polite smile and nodded. "Sure. Go ahead."

"Thanks." The man nodded and sat down beside his wife. They had two cups of latte and they sipped on it carefully, looking tired and worn out. Haejung eyed them from the corner of her eye.

They were dressed from head to toe in designer clothing and bags, looking classy and posh. Haejung vaguely wondered why they were at such a common cafe instead of some restaurant.

"I wonder how long it'd take for us to find him, Yeobo." the wife whispered. "It's been 20 years. 20 years, yeobo. What if he isn't even alive-"

"Shush." the man frowned and shook his head. "It's impossible. I can feel it, he's somewhere in the world. Don't think so negatively and let's just embrace our positivity okay? If we give up, we'll never find him. Ever."

The wife nodded solemnly. Haejung wondered what it was that made the two posh people in front of her so sad.

"It's all that stupid Yang Joowan's fault." the wife sighed. "If he didn't take our son away..."

"It's my fault, Yeobo." the husband shook his head. "If I had continued supporting his stupid robot ideas, we might have not lost our son."

Haejung's head jerked up at the robot word. She stared wide eyed at them with wide opened, and the middle aged couple blinked at her curiously. "Is anything the matter, miss?" the man asked.

Haejung swallowed hard. "I....I heard you talking about robots." she whispered. "Were you by any chance talking about something like this?"

She pushed the RB company rules towards them, her heart thudding frantically in her chest. The husband raised his brows, slowly turning to his wife. He picked up the piece of paper, their eyes scanning the words quickly.

Their eyes soon widened and the woman let out a gasp. "Yeobo! This sounds exactly like what Yang Joowan would do!"

Her husband nodded, his brows furrowed. He looked at Haejung. "Young lady, can I ask where did you get these? This isn't a joke, is it?"

Haejung shook her head. "No. This company is real." she told them. "They sent me a robot boyfriend but they took him back because I fell in love with him." she lowered her head at the thought. "I wanted to get him back but I don't have the money to pay for it."

Her head bounced back up and the couple was surprised to see the amount of pain and suffering in them. "But that's not the only problem." she announced. "Because what me and my friends think is that the robots that the company were using weren't actually robots. We don't know what they are, because they couldn't be completely human as well, with the super massive strength and things like that. But we think the company is hiding things from us and we want to find out."

She leaned eagerly in front. "Do you know anything about this?"

The man and woman looked at each other, obviously stunned. "Well, young lady...uhm what's your name?" the man asked.

"Haejung."

"Okay Haejung." the man nodded. "Let me tell you a story."

 

 

 


 

"Joowan, you're a genius!" I shouted, smiling like the sun. "I can't believe you actually managed to construct a robot like that! It looks absolutely like a human!"

Joowan smiled smugly. "Of course. I couldn't waste the money that you gave me for the research." he shrugged.

I stared at the robot in front of me and I gently touched the robot's cheek. It was soft and even warm, totally like a human's skin. "How did you do this?" I asked in awe. "I mean, he looks completely human."

"Thank you, sir." the robot smiled back.

I was startled, but more of excited. I couldn't believe Joowan was such a genius. He was my friend for the longest time but just a little strange and money-loving some of the times.

When he asked me for some money to fund his "robot" research, I couldn't turn him away because of our friendship. I gave it to him, knowing it was equivalent to flushing that cash down the toilet bowl.

However, he actually produced a robot like this! I couldn't believe it.

"And what is this robot's name, Joowan?" I asked, interested. "And what are you going to use it for?"

"He is System 1.0, his name is Kim Jaejoong." Joowan told me. "And I'm going to create a whole bunch of them for home usage. It's the dream come true, a robot helper that sleeps lesser than humans, is incredibly strong and intelligent. It's exceeding the human limit."

He smiled at me. "And this robot, hyung, I'm giving him to you. Welcome your new robot helper."

--------------

That was how Jaejoong got to be our robot helper.

Meiling was afraid of Jaejoong at first, but I could see her awe. This wife of mine was too cute and soon she and Jaejoong were like the best of friends. She was like an elderly sister and she cared for Jaejoong like he was human.

She didn't object when I told her I decided to invest in Joowan's new company that specialized in these robots. I thought it was a breakthrough for human kind.

That was, until Meiling told me about her suspicions.

She told me how it was strange Jaejoong had to eat those recharging pills. How he could eat food at the same time and to put it bluntly, poop. And she told me how Jaejoong had accidentally cut himself with the knife when cooking and there was blood.

She asked me if Jaejoong was really a robot.

I immediately turned her worries to Joowan who told me that Jaejoong bled because he was constructed that way to be more realistic. The recharging pills were like batteries.

I believed him. I wished I didn't.

I never knew how wrong this business of his was until one day. Meiling and me were watching the television at the hall while Jaejoong told us he was making a new dessert for us. We were chatting merrily and freely until we heard him scream.

We rushed to the kitchen and saw Jaejoong cringing on the floor, clutching his head. "Eunmi...Eunmi...." he gasped.

Meiling rushed to his side. "Jaejoong? What's wrong? Who's Eunmi?" she asked anxiously.

"My girlfriend." Jaejoong choked. "She's in Bucheon, I have to get back to her. My family. My home."

My eyes widened and they met Meiling's. "What are you talking about Jaejoong? You're a robot." I frown. Jaejoong was trembling vigorously now and I signal for Meiling to call the hospital. Jaejoong's eyes kept rolling white and coming back again and I had this feeling as if I was watching someone die.

It was stupid. This was a robot.

"My home." Jaejoong gasped between breaths. "I'm...not a robot...I...I human....Yang Joo...w-wan...kidnapped m-" his eyes were wide and he stared up at the ceiling, motionless.

I shook him hard, patting his face and willing for him to wake but he didn't. Meiling was screaming and crying, and I couldn't take the image of her out of my mine. She lost a friend, a best friend.

Later when the doctors came, they said Jaejoong had died. He was human top to toe human but his mind was altered with some form of chemical. His heart had failed him because of the toxic and it finally came to me what Joowan was researching on.

It wasn't robots. He was researching on energy pills for humans.

And because of that, Kim Jaejoong died.

 


 

 

"After that, I pulled my money out of his company at once and called the cops on him." the man told Haejung, sighing. "But he ran away."

"But that's not all." the woman nodded sadly. "After he ran, we returned home to our house only to find a shocking revelation. Our son was missing, our one year old son."

"We know, we just know that Joowan had taken him away." the man frowned. "And we have to find him to get our son back."

Haejung listened to all this in awe. So Luhan might have been a human after all? Just consuming super energy pills? But the buzz she heard of his heart.....

"May I ask what's your son's name?" Haejung swallowed nervously, her heart thumping loudly in her chest.

"Luhan." the woman smiled. "Luhan, our baby boy."