Birthday

Robot Boyfriend: Insanity Level 1000

Luhan stared up at the ceiling.

Haejung was sleeping soundly in his arms. Yes he had slipped over to her bed once again, and he knew Haejung would nag at him in the morning. But he also knew she didn't mind anymore.

He pondered over what the EXO-M members had said.

"We must have an awesome birthday party for her!" Xiumin beamed. "She's going to turn 20 in Korean age! A milestone in life!"

"Yeah birthdays are important." Lay nodded.

Luhan blinked up at the light yellow walls. Birthdays were important....? So why didn't he have one?

He had checked up on the internet immediately when they got home earlier. According to the online sources, a birthday was a day or anniversary when a person celebrates his or her date of birth.

The date of birth....he didn't have one of those did he? He was made, he wasn't born. He was manufactured, not a miracle of nature.

"Do I...really not have a birthday?" Luhan whispered.

The curiosity was burning in him. He had to know. He looked down at Haejung in his arms and carefully lifted her from his chest and place her head on the pillow.

After making sure she was duly tucked in, he made his way to the window and jumped out from the second floor.

He landed with a soft thud, no bones broken, no harm done. He looked up at Haejung's window for a bit before turning to go.

He vaguely remembered where the RB company was. He had only been out of the company once and saw how the building looked like that only time. And that was when he had been sent as a boyfriend for Haejung.

He didn't know where exactly it was. He didn't know the roads that led up to it.

But he remembered some parts of the journey when Dr Yang drove him to Kyunghee University to find Haejung for the first time.

And with that little bit of memory in him, Luhan walked all the way to the university and tried to find his way back to the company.

He knew he had some sort of GPS device installed in him and hoped that if he really got lost, the RB company was going to find him, but he wasn't going to bet on that.

He also knew the RB company sent people once in a while to check on his progress with Haejung and he caught them looking. But there weren't any RB men around now so he couldn't hitch a ride directly.

After two long hours or trial and error, Luhan finally made it to the RB company. He sighed in relief as he stared up at the brightly lit building.

He ran into the building and was stopped by the security. "System 5.0 model 1 reporting." Luhan stated.

The security guards raised their brows for a bit before nodding and letting him in. Luhan stepped into the familiar air conditioned place, slightly spaceship like and too quiet for liking.

It was familiar territory, but that didn't mean it felt like home. Haejung was his home now.

Luhan made his way to the top floor where he knew Dr Yang's office was. Dr Yang never left his office even at night, and Luhan hoped that hadn't changed.

It hadn't.

Luhan found Dr Yang squinting at the computer screen and typing wildly at it, the screen lighting up the man's face. "Dr Yang." he knocked on the door.

Dr Yang looked up in surprise. "System 5.0?" he blinked. "Oh. Why are you here?"

Luhan flinched. He was used to being called that but he didn't really like it now. He liked being Luhan. He liked being the guy in Haejung's life.

"I wanted to ask you something, Dr Yang." Luhan shuffled into the office. He remembered the last time he was here, he was given the task of being Haejung's boyfriend.

He remembered being elated because he was chosen from the other robots around.

"Yes what is it?" Dr Yang asked. He wasn't exactly a father figure in Luhan's life though, Dr Yang was a little too eccentric. But that was the closest Luhan had.

"You see uh...." Luhan stared at the ground sheepishly. "I was wondering if I had a birthday."

He peeked at Dr Yang. "It's not very important but I just wanted to know, you know. Cause birthdays are important."

Dr Yang's face was unreadable, an expression Luhan hadn't seen before. "No you don't have one, system 5.0. You were manufactured, not born. And you're wrong, birthdays aren't that important anyways."

"Oh." Luhan's face fell. Perhaps he was just hoping, maybe just maybe he could have a birthday too.

"I'll walk you out, then." Dr Yang stood up. "Have to get you back to your girlfriend before she worries. I haven't seen you and Yoo Haejung have any significant improvement yet?" he raised his brows.

Luhan pouted. "Jungie says we are secret lovers, so no one can know about us." he mumbled. "And she doesn't want me as a boyfriend. She wants Yoon Doojoon, I'm supposed to help her get him."

Dr Yang looked at Luhan. "As long as you make the customer happy, that's what's important."

They passed by a room and Luhan did a double take. It was a classroom where he had learned about human behavior and habits before he was allowed out into the human world.

And now there were six other guys in there, learning the same things he did. "What....?"

Dr Yang slowed his steps. "Oh them? We figured you were running rather well on the new system so we made another new batch of robots." he pointed. "Sehun, Kai, Baekhyun, Suho, D.O. and Chanyeol. Your fellow roboters or whatever you call them. Potential heartbreakers huh?"

Luhan nodded. Those guys were pretty handsome.

"Those robots don't have birthdays too?" Luhan asked.

Dr Yang pursed his lips. "No, System 5.0, robots don't have birthdays."

They reached the entrance of the building and Dr Yang patted Luhan on the back. "Do your job well, and you'll be awarded accordingly." his eyes narrowed at the beads of perspiration on Luhan's face.

"Do you not eat those recharging pills everyday now?" Dr Yang asked.

Luhan grinned sheepishly. "Mianhae. Because I found that if I ate human food I didn't need to recharge that frequently. I'm now eating those pills once in two days."

"Well, eat them." Dr Yang insisted. "If you don't, it's going to be devastating."

Luhan nodded and he went out, waving back. The doors closed before he could get another glimpse of the only person that came from his robot past.

"Bye....Dr Yang..." he whispered.

 

 

 

"Where the hell is he?" Haejung paced around the room anxiously.

She had woken up in the middle of the night only to find that she was alone in bed. And Luhan was nowhere to be seen. And the window was wide open with the curtains flapping gaily beside it.

"Is he insane?" Haejung clutched her heart. "Is he trying to scare me? He isn't at the toilet either. Where can he be?"

She took a deep breath. "Maybe I should tell umma." she reached for the door handle when someone else spoke.

"Jungie, why aren't you asleep?"

Haejung wheeled around and saw Luhan climbing into the room from the window, a lone leaf that was stuck in his hair, the only evidence that he had been gone.

"Luhan!" Haejung whispered, running to him and wrapping her arms around his waist. "My gosh, you scared me!"

Luhan blinked in surprise, but he hugged Haejung back instinctively. "Jungie?"

"Where did you go?" Haejung hissed angrily. "I woke up in the middle of the night and found you gone. Did you know how frightened I was?"

Luhan softened and he held her tighter. "Mianhae." he murmured, brushing her hair away from her face. "I went back to the RB company."

Haejung blinked. She hadn't thought of that. "Why?"

Luhan turned her around and hugged her from the back, waddling them both back to bed. "I needed to ask Dr Yang about something. I wanted to ask if I had a birthday."

Haejung strained her neck and looked up at him. "And do you?"

Luhan shook his head sadly. He sighed inaudibly and lifted the covers from the bed. Haejung crawled into it while he followed after her.

"He said robots didn't have birthdays." he whispered sadly. "But I really wanted one."

Haejung looked at him. A certain hurt filled her heart when she heard him say that. She could feel his longing and want and she really wanted to fulfill it for him.

"You can have a birthday." Haejung whispered as Luhan wound his arm under her head and she snuggled closer. "You can share my birthday."

Luhan blinked in surprise. "Really?"

Haejung nodded. "From today onwards, your birthday is also the same as mine, on 16th May, and we'll celebrate it together hmm?"

Luhan broke into a bright smile. "Yeah."

Haejung smiled back and settled into the familiar crook of his neck. "Good. Don't run off in the middle of the night again." she murmured.

It didn't take long for her to fall asleep once again. Luhan watched her with a soft smile.

"Thank you for giving me a birthday, Jungie." he whispered, pressing a kiss on the top of her head.