You're a robot?!

Robot Boyfriend: Insanity Level 1000

"Hmmmfff...cotton candy...ice cream waffles....ice lollies..."

 

Luhan chuckled at the girl in his arms. He usually ate his recharging pill after a two hour nap at night, and he would spend the rest of the hours watching Haejung sleep.

It was fascinating. Her every breath, the rise and fall of her chest, her occasional mumbles. Luhan didn't know how he looked like when he shut down, but he saw other robots back in the company that weren't .

And they were lifeless and still, completely unlike the girl in his arms.

Luhan tightened his hold as Haejung snuggled closer. He didn't mind how Haejung would nag at him incessantly later when she woke up and found that he had snuck to her side of the room again. He knew she was softening up, her nagging growing shorter each day, her resignation to his existence more and more apparent.

And he liked it, being with her.

Dr Yang told him that he was the most advanced robot ever made, and he could experience a whole series of feelings from happiness to sadness to anger to shock.

Luhan didn't feel most of the feelings besides a certain form of emptiness when he was back at the RB company.

But when he was with Haejung, he somehow felt this sweet bubbly feeling in him that could only match happiness that he never knew. And he knew he liked this feeling a lot.

Haejung slowly stirred, the highlight of her sleep arriving. Luhan loved to see her when she woke up, the slow stretch and cute yawn, the soft mumbling as she cursed the sunlight, and her hands would move to the table beside the bed, searching blindly for her glasses.

Luhan thought she looked the most beautiful then. As a robot, he didn't have what most people would have: an eye for beauty. He didn't exactly understand the rules for being beautiful, what made something attractive or not.

But to Luhan, Haejung was attractive. He didn't mind her messy hair, he'd arrange it for her. He didn't scoff at her old glasses, he'd push them up her nose. He didn't mind her old blouses and long skirts, just so long as he was there to save her when she tripped.

Haejung yawned, her eyes fluttering open slowly as her right hand searched the table top beside her for her glasses. Luhan put it in her hand gently and watched as she slipped it on.

It took her a few moments to return from dreamland to reality, and when she did, she just sighed when she saw him in her bed again. She wasn't afraid that something might happen between them in a room together anymore, she kind of trusted this randomly happy guy.

"You're here again." Haejung mumbled, getting up from his chest and rubbing her red right cheek that had been resting against his collarbone. "I wonder why Umma bought the other bunk for you when you're always sleeping on mine."

"Exactly. Why don't we sell the other bunk away?" Luhan mused.

"And let her know you're always sneaking into my bed?" Haejung made a face. "Aish. I'm going to wash up." Haejung stumbled down the bed and trudged to the washroom, rubbing her eyes.

Luhan grinned to himself, pumping his fists in the air. "Yes! She didn't say I couldn't sleep on her bed today!"

 

 

 

Even though they lived together, Haejung insisted that they couldn't take the same bus to school. Being friends with one of the school's most sought for guys was bad enoughh to handle, but if just one person caught wind that Luhan and her were living together....she shuddered at the thought.

Haejung went to school first, taking the first bus and reaching the school early so that she wouldn't meet the crowd when the EXO-M boys arrived. As sweet as they were to her, being pushed around in a human tsunami wasn't really fun.

Luhan left a while later, taking a longer route today. He passed by a flower shop and took out a few notes that Mrs Yoo had insisted him take in return for his work at the eatery.

His eyes fell on a bouquet of red tulips. The Ahjumma working there smiled at him. "Buying these for your girlfriend?" she smiled. "Red tulips means undying love, young man. A pretty serious revelation."

Luhan blinked at the flowers. Love....he wasn't sure. He was a robot. He didn't know much about human feelings.

But undying he did know. Undying was him. A robot like him would not age, Dr Yang told him. Perhaps it would be the perfect flower.

"How much for the bouquet, Ahjumma?" Luhan smiled.

-------

Haejung suspected that something was off with Luhan. That guy was pretty easy to read and he couldn't hide it when he was fidgeting in his seat the whole lesson and his hand kept reaching to his bag.

When she asked him what he kept in there, he said it was nothing. Haejung didn't believe him but thought it rude to inquire more.

And now that it was break, Luhan's eyes were darting around as he watched for people. "Luhan, aren't we joining the EXO-M boys for lunch?" Haejung asked.

Luhan nodded. "Yeah. But in a bit. Let's go somewhere private." He pulled her along this familiar corridor, slipping through the stairwell at the end of the lane.

The stairwell where she had first cried when Doojoon broke up with her.

"What are we doing here?" Haejung asked, feeling a little uncomfortable as the memories surfaced.

Luhan beamed brightly at her as he the lights and searched his bag. "Because you're my secret girlfriend and you don't want people to know, that's why I had to bring you  here to give you this." he pulled out a single stalk of red tulip, a little wrinkled but sill beautiful.

Haejung blinked in surprise. Doojoon didn't do anything like that, and she doubted that he even did for Haneul.

"Do you like it?" Luhan asked anxiously as Haejung took it from him gingerly and smiled softly to herself.

Haejung nodded. "Yes. Thank you." she whispered, touched. "It's really beautiful."

Luhan beamed. "The Ahjumma told me it means undying love you know-"

Haejung choked.

"-I don't really understand love, but I do know I'm undying so I thought it fit." Luhan continued. He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "I wanted to buy a bouquet but the paper things Omonim gave me weren't enough so I only bought a stalk. It's still good right?"

Haejung smiled and nodded. "It's great. Thank you. No one did anything like this for me before." She admitted.

She sighed and smiled playing with the tulip. "What made you want to give me this?" she asked, curious.

Luhan beamed. "You're my girlf...secret girlfriend and I'll give you anything." he boasted. "You asked for Yoon Doojoon but I kind of haven't figured out how to get him for you yet, so I thought I'd give you a flower first." he confessed.

Haejung laughed. Babo.

"Well thanks then. I don't know what I did to deserve your RB company service but thanks. I appreciate it." Haejung smiled. She looked around the place and sighed.

Luhan blinked as he remembered something. "I shouldn't have brought you here." he blurted. "You were crying the last time you were here."

Haejung blinked. "The last time..." her eyes widened. "Wait. You're the one who put that packet of tissue on the floor?"

Luhan nodded. "You were looking sad all day so even though Dr Yang told me not to interact with you prematurely, I did." he explained. "Even from outside the window you looked so sad." he commented.

Haejung felt a chill down her spine. "I wasn't hallucinating?" she whispered in shock. "You were OUTSIDE THE WINDOW of a fifth storey classroom?"

Luhan nodded. "Uh-huh."

"But. But. How." Haejung gulped at the air.

Luhan chuckled. "I'm a robot after all, climbing that little height isn't anything-"

"YOU'RE A WHAT?" Haejung shrieked, clutching her heart.

"Robot." Luhan blinked, scratching his head. "I thought you knew. Robot boyfriend means robot boyfriend." he grinned. "Did I pass off as a human well?"

Haejung gaped at him. No wonder he used such strange words. Where he was made. He was the most advanced system. No wonder he knew so many things and he didn't seem tired. No wonder.

"But I can't believe..." Haejung swallowed. Luhan gently tugged at her arm and pulled her to his chest. She was rather familiar with that chest, the one she snuggled against when she slept.

But today she realized something she hadn't noticed before. There wasn't a heart thumping in that chest. There was a buzz of vibration as a machine operated in there.

"Oh my god." Haejung swallowed. "You really are a robot." she blinke for a bit and frowned. "But won't you run out of battery? How come you can eat?"

Luhan took out these orange pills from his back pocket that had plus and minus signs in each side. "These are recharging pills, I swallow one a day and I'm good to go." he explained. "And I can eat too, but I don't need to as long as I have the pills."

He leaned down and peered at Haejung who still looked shocked at the revelation. "It's not going to change." he murmured. "I'm still your secret boyfriend, I'll still care for you."

And somehow, she believed him.