Son-in-law

Far Away

“Mrs. Choi, here is yours Yukata” The old lady in the Onsen said with her hand place on top of her other hand and bowing slightly showing the respect for the customers. “Thank you Fukuhara san” Mrs. Choi thanked the old lady kindness with a bow. “And there is also one for the little girl that Jonghun-san adores” The old lady added with a smile after seeing Jonghun’s head peeked from the room across them. “Is there one for Hongki too, Umma?”Jonghun asked eagerly and sit next to her mother while bowing and showing his smiles to the old lady. The old lady smiles back and leaves the mother and son in the room. “Yes, now, go to Hongki and bring her here so Umma can dress her in this lovely Yukata” Mrs. Choi ordered her son after the old lady weren’t visible anymore. “Yes Madam!”Jonghun exclaimed and walked out from the room with a cheerful grin.

 

Jonghun took big steps into the woods and follow the path behind the Onsen. Jonghun knew where the path will lead him. It’s not about the path that Jonghun was eager to take but the end of the path where Jonghun knew, someone will be waiting for him. The little girl that Jonghun fall in love since the first day he saw her. Since the first encounter, Jonghun returned home to his family with never ending story about the little girl who cried at the river. Jonghun never stopped talking about how pretty she was with her frilly dress. How cute she was when she pouts. And how pure she was when she was crying. Jonghun knew that she really likes the girl name Hongki.

 

And tonight, Jonghun will be spending his first O-Bon festival with Hongki. And Hongki will wear the Yukata that the old lady specially made for her. Just thinking about it make little Jonghun happy than ever and unknowingly he reached the river already. “Hongki!” Jonghun called for the little girl who was sitting on the very same huge rock near the river’s edge. Jonghun called it Hongki’s favourite place as it was the same spot that Jonghun first saw Hongki.

 

“Jonghun?” Hongki turned his face and saw Jonghun was standing right behind him with a grin plastered on his face. “What’s wrong with you?” Hongki asked. Jonghun grab Hongki by the wrist and sweetly said “Come”. A smile was formed on Hongki’s face. Hongki felt happy when Jonghun hold him. It felt warm. Jonghun sweet’s voices ringing in Hongki’s ear. It felt warm too. Warm as the summer they are having now.

 

************************************

 

“Umma, this is Hongki!” Jonghun said his hand still holding Hongki’s hand. Hongki who heard the words ‘Umma’ stare at the woman in front of him but his hands still holding Jonghun’s. “Omo! What a cute little girl! Appa, come quick, our Jonghun brought someone with him” Mrs. Choi called out for Mr. Choi from the room behind her. Mr. Choi walked out the room in a hassle with his Yukata unsettled. “Seriously, how I have to wear this?” Mr. Choi said with his hand holding to his Obi. Little Hongki stared at the man in front of him who looks just like Jonghun but different in height.

 

“Appa, behave yourself. Our Jonghun brought a pretty guest today for the festival” Mrs. Choi said while standing up and fix his husband’s Yukata. “Oh! I’m sorry. I didn’t realize that. You must be the adorable Hongki, right?” Mr. Choi said with his cheesy grin and Hongki felt a bit creepy and hides behind Jonghun, still not saying anything. Noticing the sudden gestured by Hongki, Jonghun tighten his hands on Hongki’s hands, assuring him protection.

 

“Appa! You are scaring her!” Jonghun half yelled and a pout was formed on little Jonghun’s face. He really hates when his father act like a creepy man like that. “I’m sorry!” Mr. Choi apologized with laughter to his son and Hongki. “Okay. Cut it out both of you. Now Hongki come with me. I’ll get you dressed for tonight’s festival” Mrs Choi said with a soft smile and grab Hongki’s hand. And for the first time Hongki can felt the warmness of a mother. Hongki was not afraid of this woman anymore. This woman is Jonghun’s Umma after all they both gave Hongki the same warmness that Hongki have been longing for.

 

In the room, Mrs. Choi was preparing Hongki’s Yukata while across their room, her husband and son was barely dressed themselves in the Yukata. “Jonghun said, you live with your grandmother and uncle here, right Hongki?” Mrs. Choi asked. “Yes” Hongki answered more like a whisper. “Where are your parents, Hongki?” Mrs. Choi asked again. “Umma’s dead, Appa lives far away from here” Hongki answered with his head facing the floor. “I’m sorry” Mrs. Choi was feeling guilty for asking such question to little girl who lives a very sad life. “Why you apologized? It’s not your fault they are not here”

 

“Ahh, No. I mean. Yes. It’s not I’m apologized for that. I’m just... It’s nothing” Mrs. Choi was stuttering. The girl was little to understand what the meaning of the sorry she meant. But again, the little girl was right. There is nothing to be sorry, she must be happy then. “Ermm...Hongki, do you like Jonghun?” Mrs. Choi asked while his hands on her way to undressed Hongki’s shirt.

 

“I like him very much” Hongki said honestly with his eyes open wide staring deeply into the woman in front of him. “Why?” Mrs. Choi asked and smile but silently adoring this little girl cuteness and honesty. “He’s always there for me” Hongki answered. Mrs. Choi stopped from pulling Hongki’s trousers and look deeply into the brown eyes of the little girl who was never have the embrace of a parents. Hongki was lovely and brave. This girl was sweet yet courageous. Mrs. Choi wants to sympathize this little girl’s life yet she can’t because this girl was actually brave than she knew. This girl is indeed lonely without her parents but she survived it and smiling honestly in front of others. This little girl will be his daughter in law no matter what. Mrs. Choi silently decided.

 

“Now, let’s pull you out from this trousers and make you into that Yukata over here... EH! Hongki, you are a boy?” Mrs. Choi half yelled with her wide eyes staring directly at Hongki’s . Obviously, it was a boy’s organ visible from the white . “Yes, why?” Hongki asked unknowingly what actually is wrong for him being a boy. “B-b-but! Jonghun said you were a...!” Mrs. choi stuttering twice that day. “Did I do something wrong?” Hongki asked clueless of what actually happened. “I guess, I’ll be having a son in law now” Mrs. Choi commented dryly.

 

*******************************************

 

“Jonghun, here is your bride” Mrs. Choi and Hongki was walking side by side but Jonghun’s eyes was staring in awe at Hongki. Hongki was dressed in a yukata different from Jonghun whose yukata was plain and bold colour but Hongki’s yukata was soft and creamy peach with sakura’s flowers decorated along with it and Hongki’s long hair was tied into a pony tail that make Hongki look more like a real girl. Hongki was looking cute and sweet with the Yukata.

 

“Stop with the admiration you two!” Mrs. Choi yelled and pulled Hongki softly from the front gate of the Onsen. “Come, we’ll be late for the festival. Here Mr. Romeo, your Juliet” Mrs. Choi said while his hand softly shoving Hongki’s hand to Jonghun’s little hand. Jonghun gladly took Hongki’s hand and both walked together in front of Jonghun’s parents happily.

 

“I guess, we need a wedding to be prepared for our little Jonghun” Mr. Choi said with heartily laugh. “Yes, we need to plan it before anyone steals our beautiful son in law” Mrs. Choi answered with a smile. “Eh? Son-in-law?”

 

****************************************

 

The lanterns lit across the streets till to the temple on top of the hill. The village was extremely busy and crowded with foreigners and locals.  The locals were happy that only on the nights on festivals they can earned some money as the locals here only worked as farmers. And the foreigners like the Choi’s family were happy on this night because it was the first time that they can actually felt the Japanese environment around them.

 

While Jonghun was happy that he was holding hands with his future bride. Yes, his future bride. Jonghun have decided on that just now after his jaw almost literally dropped seeing Hongki in her sweet yukata. For Hongki, tonight was special, as he was having the happiest moments in his life. Jonghun never let go of Hongki’s hand even if it was wet from the sweat and the rustle of the crowd, Jonghun never let go of it. He was giving Hongki the warmness of summer to little Hongki who always have been lonely and cold since his birth to the world.

 

“Hongki, look. They’ve already started the fireworks” Jonghun’s small finger show Hongki to the bright colours of fireworks on the nightly skies full of stars. ‘They are pretty, right” Hongki commented with a smile. Jonghun look at Hongki and said “Wait here, don’t go anywhere. I’ll be quick” With that Jonghun stand and ran off to the streets again, leaving Hongki alone at the field of grass on top of the hill next to the temple. Hongki waited for Jonghun to come back. Hongki knew it’s only for a couple of minutes but he just can’t bear of being alone without Jonghun beside him. He felt lonely and cold like he used to be before. He felt so alone. Hongki waited but his tears can’t and Hongki cry.

 

“Hongki, I’m back” Hearing Jonghun’s soft voices, Hongki turns around just to see Jonghun panting and sweating, obviously from running and he was holding something in his hands. “Hongki, you’re crying?” Jonghun asked and silently took his place next to Hongki and hold Hongki’s hand tight this time. “I’m not leaving you. I’m searching for this” Jonghun said while his hand put a flower on Hongki’s hair on top of his ear. “You look pretty” Jonghun commented and Hongki’s eyes stare deeply into Jonghun’s eyes. And Jonghun kissed Hongki softly on the lips.

 

“Boku wa, anataga suki desu” Jonghun confessed that he likes Hongki in his broken Japanese. “Boku mo” Hongki smiled and answered that he likes him too. Brushing away Hongki’s tears from Hongki’s face, Jonghun added “Boku wa eien ni anata no soba de suru koto ga dekiru yō ni naru nakanaide” I’ll be at your side, so don’t cry, dear Hongki. And that night, 7 years old Jonghun and Hongki made a promise.