I Need You Now - Part 3

I Need You Now [Three-shots]

Part 3

 

Hyukjae helped Kyuhyun lay on the bed of his guest room as soon as they arrived in his apartment.

He slumped himself on his own bed and reached for his phone.

He was planning to text Leeteuk to inform him that he and Kyuhyun are home safely and that Kyuhyun is now sleeping in the guest room but instead got shocked on the short but meaningful message he received from Siwon.

Donghae’s back and he asked for your address and phone number...

After a few minutes of staring blankly at the message, Hyukjae stood up and went straight to the kitchen, grabbed a bottle of whiskey and shot glass then sat on the couch and tried to process everything while taking a shot of whiskey every now and then.

 

Donghae cried himself to sleep when he heard his phone ringing non-stop. He groaned in displeasure as he got disturbed from his sleep.

“Hmmm...” Donghae answered the call mumbling with a sleepy and not-so-interested tone.

“...”

“Hmmm-llo?” Donghae repeated now with a little effort.

 

Hyukjae is now a little drunk and tried to call back the unknown caller whom he wasn’t able to talk to from a while ago.

“Hmmm...” said the voice from the other line sounding sleepy.

Hyukjae instantly thought the sound coming from the other line is quite familiar.

“Hmmm-llo?” this time a hoarse voice heard from the other line.

And as if tonight is not enough of surprises, Hyukjae then got another shock of his life after hearing that voice.

Now, he knows very well who the person on the other line is since Siwon just texted about him.  

“Do-Donghae?”

Donghae who is equally shocked responded, “Hyukkie?”

As if on cue, both shed tears after saying each others names and hearing their voices.

“Dongahe is that-“ Hyukjae can’t help but hold his breath as his heart starts to beat fast. He then heaves a heavy sigh and asks the person he’s talking to, “Is that really you?”

“Hyukkie! I missed you so ing much!”

“Since when did you start being bold in cursing?” Hyukjae suddenly asked taken aback with Donghae’s choice of words.

 “I just wanted to express what I truly feel.” Donghae answered shyly wiping his tears.

“Oh... I guess you’ve changed?” Hyukjae assumed wiping his tears as well.

“No! Not really!” Donghae answered in defense. “It’s still me, Donghae... The person you’ve known all these years!”

“Oh ok, if you say so... You don’t need to shout at me.” Hyukjae said secretly smiling and thinking that yes, Donghae did not change at all, except for the cursing part.

“Sorry.”

“It’s nothing.”

“So...” Donghae hesitated on starting a proper conversation but also thought, its now or never. “How are you?”

“I’m doing fine. And you?”

“I’m good... And I’m back.”

“I see that.”

“For good Hyukkie.”

“Oh.” Hyukjae said feeling the kick of the whiskey he just drank.

“Uhmmm... Hyukkie... I mean, its still ok for m-me to call you ‘Hyukkie’, right?”

“Yeah, I guess... I’m used to it anyway...”

“Really?” Donghae asked smiling like a child.

“Really.” Hyukjae confirmed feeling tipsy and sleepy.

“You know, you can still call me ‘Hae’...”

“...”

“Hyukkie?”

“Yaaaaawwwn...”

“Are you still there?” Donghae asked after hearing a breathy yawn on the other line.

“...”

“Hello? Hyukkie? Are you still the-“

“Zzzzz...” was all Donghae heard before he can even finish his sentence.

“Tsk... You slept on me? That’s rude...” Donghae whined in a whisper.

“Pssst...”

“Zzzzz...”

“Fine. Goodnight Hyukkie. I...” Donghae for the nth time, hesitated on continuing what he was about to say, “I love you.” Were his last words hoping Hyukjae can still feel his love.

“Hmmm...” mumbled Hyukjae in his drunken slumber.

Donghae just smiled and did what he and Hyukjae always do before ending their phone conversation when they were still together, “Mwah!”

And that is why Donghae got irritated when he heard that sound a while ago coming from someone other than him. Being possessive as he was and still is of Hyukjae, he doesn’t want other people doing that except for him.

Donghae dropped the call and texted Hyukjae before going back to his own slumber.

From: Unknown

July 2, 2010 01:20:30 AM

“Hyukkie, Let’s have breakfast together. I’ll drop by your place at 9am. See yah!”

 

The next day...

Early in the morning, Donghae is currently preparing himself for his reunion with the love of his life.

He seemed to never stopped thinking of Hyukjae the whole night and due to this, he was not able to sleep properly.

Donghae tried calling Hyukjae again but he was still not answering his phone that is why Donghae texted the red head again reminding his visit to the latter’s home.

 

Hyukjae’s sleep was disturbed by an early call from Siwon looking for Kyuhyun.

Siwon was informed by Leeteuk the Kyuhyun got drunk at his party and Hyukjae volunteered to take the magnae home, not until Kyuhyun insists on staying over at Hyukjae’s apartment and this made Siwon upset thinking Kyuhyun is such a bother sleeping there.

“Is Kyu there? He’s not answering his phone?” Siwon asked without waiting for Hyukjae to say ‘Hello’.

“Huh?” Hyukjae asked waking up from his sleep with a slight headache caused by the whiskey he drank last night.

“Kyuhyun? Is he with you?”

“Yeah, he’s sleeping in the other room. You want to talk to him?”

“No need. I’m on my way to pick him up.” Siwon said in a hurry combined with frustration.

“Oh, ok then...” Hyukjae got bemused with Siwon’s manner but just shrugged it off.

After Hyukjae ended the call from Siwon, he realized that he got a few new messages. One from Leeteuk, two from ‘unknown’ which is actually Donghae after he called and confirmed the number and the rest are from Siwon obviously looking for Kyuhyun.

 

From: Unknown

July 2, 2010 01:20:30 AM

“Hyukkie, Let’s have breakfast together. I’ll drop by your place at 9am. See yah!”

 

From: Unknown

July 2, 2010 07:40:50 AM

“Hyukkie, good morning! Don’t forget I’ll pick you up at 9am. I hope you’re ready by then.”

 

“What the-“ Hyukjae looks at the time and got shocked that he only has 20 minutes to prepare before Donghae arrives.

 

Kyuhyun was trying to prepare breakfast for Hyukjae as a way of saying thank you for taking care of him when he was in his drunken state.

“Hyung, I’m making breakfast! Wake up and have a taste of my specialty!” Kyuhyun shouted from the kitchen still trying to fight his hangover.

“Kyu, I don’t think I-“ an eager knock on the door was heard before Hyukjae can even finish what he was about to say.

“Hyung, can you get that? I’m cooking here.” Kyuhyun shouted emphasizing the ‘cooking’ part.

Hyukjae sighed but nonetheless went to the door thinking its Siwon.

“You should be the one answering since its just-“ Hyukjae halted as soon as he opened the door and saw the person in front of him. “Donghae?”

Hyukjae and Donghae stared at each other as time seemed to stop and their surroundings collapsed one by one leaving only the two of them.

“Hyung, who’s there? Breakfast is-“ Kyuhyun approached Hyukjae and was about to inform the other but stopped on his tracks as he saw the scene in front of him.

Hyukjae and Donghae stared at each other, both lost in their own world.

Donghae got instantly distracted seeing Kyuhyun just a foot away from Hyukjae.

Kyuhyun breaks the silence and smirked.

“Donghae hyung! You’re back!” Kyuhyun said as he put his arms on Hyukjae’s shoulders.

Donghae instantly felt annoyed and was about to attack the younger male until he felt an arm on his shoulder as well.

“Donghae, you’re here?” The new comer said oblivious of the presence of the ones inside the apartment.

“Siwon-ah!”

Donghae and Siwon flinched as they heard Kyuhyun with his fists now clenched inside his jeans’ pocket.

“What are you doing here?” Kyuhyun asked the taller guy.

“He’s here to pick you up Kyu.” Hyukjae answered for Siwon and gestured the two visitors to come in.

“I don’t need you to pick me up, I can go home by myself!” Kyuhyun exclaimed leaving the others. Siwon followed him to the guest room leaving Hyukjae and Donghae standing beside each other in awkward silence.

Donghae breaks the silence and asks, “Are they together or something?”

“What? Siwon and Kyu? Of course not!” Hyukjae blurted.

“Then why does it look like you’re annoyed with my question?”

“Stop assuming things, Donghae.”

“Then is it wrong for me to assume that you and Kyu are together instead?”

“...” Hyukjae just walked to the kitchen taken aback by Donghae’s out of the blue question.

“Why are you not answering this time? Am I right?”

“I told you stop assuming things.” Hyukjae simply replied without looking at Donghae. “You want coffee or tea?”

“I thought we are going out for breakfast?”

“You said that, but I don’t remember agreeing?”

“But Hyukkie-“

“Besides, Kyu prepared breakfast. Look...” Hyukjae showed the so-called ‘specialty’ of Kyuhyun which is composed of half-cooked scrambled eggs, hotdogs that are slightly burned and literally toasted toasts.

“Oh?” was all Donghae can say.

“Hyung, I’ll be going now. Enjoy your breakfast.” Kyuhyun said and saw Donghae’s annoyed reaction then added, “I made that with love and care hyung. Saranghae!”

Hyukjae was surprised but unconsciously showed his gummy smile which bothered Donghae more.

“Thanks Kyu! I just hope this is not poisonous?” Hyukjae joked.

“Then don’t eat that!” Donghae suddenly grabs the plate from Hyukjae.

“That was meant to be a joke, Donghae.”

“Oh? Ok.” Donghae said dumbfounded.

“We’ll be leaving now.” Siwon said.

“I’ll be leaving now. Don’t follow me.” Kyuhyun said glaring at Siwon.

“Why are you being such a baby?” Siwon snapped.

“Well, that brat is actually the baby of the group.” Donghae interrupted.

“Correct me if I’m wrong but are you two arguing?” Hyukjae asked innocently.

“No!” “Yes!” Siwon and Kyuhyun answered differently at the same time.

“Oh!” Hyukjae and Donghae muttered.

“Ughhh! You’re annoying! And my headache’s getting worse! I really need to sleep more!”

“Oh! Ok... Take care!” Hyukjae said as he bid goodbye.

“Yeah! We’re going!” Siwon confirmed and followed Kyuhyun closing the front door.

But before the door was completely closed, Kyuhyun sneak his head and shouted, “Donghae hyung! Don’t you dare steal Lee Hyukjae from me or you’re going to regret it!” Kyuhyun said in a straight but joking manner unbeknownst to the two men in the kitchen.

 

“What is he talking about Hyuk?” Donghae asked with full of curiosity.

“I don’t know?” Hyukjae responded as if without care.

“I guess that’s just Kyu being possessive.” Hyukjae added.

“And why is he being possessive of you?”

“Cause I’m one of his close friends. You know he’s like that with all his friends?”

“Not with me though... Eversince...” Donghae said contradicting Hyukjae’s statement.

“I don’t think so-“

“Look Hyukkie! I’m going to ask you again... Are you and Kyu dating or at least have some kind of a special relationship?”

“What?” Hyukjae reacted as if Donghae accused him of a crime.

“I know Kyu likes you since the day he joined the group. That is why he’s always talking to you.”

“But you got it all wrong-“

“Then what were Kyu’s words all about?”

“Lies?”

“...”

“He’s just teasing.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“Then don’t...” Hyukjae said leaving Donghae alone in the kitchen. He entered his bedroom and got his phone and keys.

“Let’s go!” Hyukjae said as he closed his bedroom door and headed to the front door signalling Donghae that they are leaving.

“Where are we going Hyukkie?”

“I thought we’re going to go out for breakfast?”

“But you said we’re going to eat Kyu’s specialty?”

“Do you seriously want to eat those?” Hyukjae asked with a bit of disgust.

“Nope!” Donghae answered fast and grabbed Hyukjae’s hand as they approach the elevator.

 

“That was rude Kyu. You shouldn’t have said that to Donghae. You know how much he wants Hyukjae back?” Siwon lectured Kyuhyun as they both settle in the car.

“I...Don’t...Care...” Kyuhyun answered like a spoiled brat.

“Really?” Siwon asked amused with Kyuhyun’s answer.

“I saw how much Hyukjae hyung suffered when Donghae hyung left. And I just don’t want that to happen again.” Kyuhyun explained, seriousness reflected in his eyes.

“But you also know that Hyukjae was the one who broke up with Donghae and that Donghae also had a hard time living his life because of that?” Siwon reminded Kyuhyun.

“...” Kyuhyun kept quiet just staring outside the car window.

“And to think he has to face all of his problems all alone compared to Hyukjae who actually have us.” Siwon added.

“I know that.” Kyuhyun confirmed.

“That’s good to hear.” Siwon responded.

“But compared to Donghae hyung, we both know how vulnerable Hyukjae hyung is when it comes to his feelings. I just don’t want to see him in that kind of state again.” Kyuhyun added stating his concern to his hyung.

“I understand.” Was all Siwon said somehow agreeing with Kyuhyun.

 

Meanwhile, at the same cafe wherein Donghae and Siwon met...

“I miss this place... It’s still as cozy as before...” Hyukjae said still admiring the cafe.

“Yup.”

“...”

“Hyukkie, is it ok if we talk about us?”

“What about us?”

“If... If there is still an us?”

“Uhmmm... Can we talk about that after eating? Cause I might lose my appetite. And I don’t want that to happen now ‘cause I’m seriously hungry.” Hyukjae requested.

“Oh! Ok... No problem. Let’s eat then...” Donghae agreed not wanting to annoy Hyukjae in any way.

 

After having their breakfast, Hyukjae insisted on going home due to his now terrible headache.

“Are you sure you’re ok?”

“Yeah, I am. I just need to drop by the drugstore to buy some medicine.”

“Let’s get you home so you can rest and I’ll just buy the medicine for you.”

“No need. I can do it on my own.”

“But you’re not feeling well?”

“But I can still walk and talk.”

“Look I’m just trying to help...”

“I know. But as I’ve said, I don’t need it.”

“Hyukkie, you sounded like you’re trying to push me away?” Donghae asked with disappointment.

Hyukjae stopped the car at the side of the street now trying to hold back his tears, “I don’t know anymore...”

“What do you mean?” Donghae asked as he felt his heart just got broken into pieces.

“I’m really happy that you’re back but...” Hyukjae and Donghae shifted from their seats and faced each other.

“But what?” Donghae asked trying to decipher the look on Hyukjae’s face. It says happiness, confusion, fear, hate and love all at rolled into one.

“I’m just... I’m already used to being alone and independent-“

“I’m not taking away your independence. I just want to help.”

“But I know you Hae. Helping me will only make me depend on you again and I don’t like that to happen.”

“Why?”

“Cause I don’t want you doing that then you’ll- never mind...”

As if reading Hyukjae’s mind, Donghae softly said, “I told you I’m staying for good. I won’t leave anymore Hyuk... I want us to depend on each other again.” Donghae said with assurance as he looked at Hyukjae and held the latter’s face with tear-streaked begging eyes.

Hyukjae then copied Donghae’s gesture towards him, both cupping each others faces and staring at each other trying to memorize the features they once missed.

“C-can we start anew?”

“Hmmm?” Donghae furrowed his eyebrows trying to contemplate what Hyukjae just said.

“Let’s forget the past and start being friends again?” Hyukjae hesitantly repeated, clearing his words seeing Donghae’s reaction.

“Are you sure?”

“Well... I think it will help us cope up with the changes in our lives.”

“But... Can we skip the friends part?”

“Huh?”

“Cause being just friends mean we can’t-“ Donghae paused trying to think of a better term to explain what he meant, “You know?” but failed.

“No. I don’t know?”

“...”

“Unless you’re thinking nasty again?“ Hyukjae innocently asked looking straight at the person in front of him confused but then realized he was right. “Oh no! So you really are thinking nasty!” Hyukjae screeched as he saw Donghae grin like a mad man.

“Continue grinning like that then I’ll be more determined to go through with our friendship...” Hyukjae said stressing the word ‘friendship’.

“No! No! No!” Donghae said in panicked.

“Hahahaha!” Hyukjae laughed hard expressing his amusement. “Fine. I guess its best to just take things slow... will that be alright with you?”

“I guess so, as long as we can still do this-“ Donghae then grabbed Hyukjae’s face and kissed Hyukjae full on the lips letting his feelings take over as Hyukjae responded and both showed through their kiss how much they missed each other.

As both let go after making out which seems like forever and trying to control themselves not to go any further by just taking it slow.

“I love you, Lee Donghae.”

“I love you more, Lee Hyukjae.”

“I love you most!”

“I love you more than the most!”

“I love you most than the most!”

And they continue squabbling trying to prove their love with such nonsense...

 

The End (?)

 

Author's Note:

First off, I'm really sorry for posting this later than what I promised.

I hope my readers are still there... Are you all still there? >.<

As you can see 'The End' has a question mark that is because I wanted to make a sequel, if not just an epilogue...

I've always wanted to try writing but then I'm afraid I might fail... Big time!

I'm a reader but not a writer... So... Let's see... I really need lots of confidence for that to happen... tsk... =/

So anyway, I hope you liked the nonsensical ending?

Thank you for taking time to read this and I hope you'll take time to comment as well...

Silent readers are welcomed but not encouraged...