EIGHTEEN

The Difficulty Of Being Kim Sung Gyu

 

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:Vitamins

 

 

“Okay, kids. Listen up.”

That morning the Infinite members had arrived later to the dance studio. Although they had slept a few more hours their faces still held that tired look that showed how hard they had been working for the past few weeks. Behind that look, carved in their eyes, SungGyu could see the hope and excitement they were holding. Infinite’s leader knew that morning was completely different from the others and that this practice was going to be really meaningful for them. At least that was what he hoped.

“Whoa, am I sensing a hear-warming speech?” WooHyun spoke as he helped SungJong set free from his tight hoodie. SungGyu’s happy face changed instantly into a pissed one.

“You’re gonna sense my fist if you don’t shut up.”

Hoya tried to control his smile, still he spoke.

“What is it, Hyung?”

“Are we going to finish sooner the practice?” SungJong, finally free from his hoodie, asked.

“Probably,” SungGyu grinned noticing L was close to him now. “So, as everyone knows today—”

The smile and words were erased from SungGyu as he saw someone enter the dance studio. It was DongWoo. Since their harsh conversation in there, the second oldest member hadn’t set a foot on the place. At least not when SungGyu was there practicing with the members. But there he was, with his eyes looking to the side and a pretty uncomfortable sensation surrounding his whole self. Just like a little kid that had been scolded a moment ago.

“Don’t think too much about this...” DongWoo said with an unusual quiet voice looking in his leader’s eyes. There was a hint of regret on them.

The leader nodded slowly with a serious look before he turned his attention to the five members in front of him. He was quite content seeing them all in there. “As I was saying. Tomorrow is the day. After so many months we’re doing our comeback—”

“I knew you were going to—!”

“Yah, let him talk,” Hoya interrupted WooHyun’s words.

“Thanks, Hoya,” SungGyu sighed. “For the second time. Tomorrow we’re finally going to perform Wish Me Love and Speechless in Inkigayo so, as always, JungYeop-hyung told me we could rest today and gain energy for tomorrow’s performance.”

“So we came for nothing?” SungJong looked confused.

SungGyu groaned. “Just let me finish and then you can ask, okay? So, as I was saying, I thought about it and I decided we should come and practice a bit more for Speechless. It’s not like we’re going to fix the last details because that’ll add just more stress and we won’t actually fix anything. Also I believe we managed to reach a decent level. We’re going to do fine but I really wanted to practice one more time so we could actually enjoy our song and have fun with it. I just want that for us.”

Even if Infinite was well known for their perfect presentations and choreographies, SungGyu wanted people to recognize them for the passion they had, not only while singing but while dancing too. He wasn’t a dancer, not like Hoya or DongWoo, but he liked to do it in order to complement his voice. It was a whole picture he wanted Infinite to show to others. That they could actually express from everywhere. As the years passed it became harder for the members to sense that passion since they had been really concentrated in doing one thing: Perfection.

There was no enjoyment when that thought invaded their minds.  

“Let’s enjoy this last practice, like we used to do. Simply enjoying ourselves and what we love to do the most,” SungGyu smiled slightly before meeting eyes with DongWoo, “And let’s do it having SungYeol in mind. You know he just went to court earlier in the morning. He personally told me he really wishes for us to do great in Inkigayo. Let’s not disappoint him.”

“Even if he’s not here we should do the comeback for SungYeol,” WooHyun supported SungGyu’s words before clapping loudly. “So get moving and warm up for the last time before our day comes.”

“There he goes again stealing other people’s positions,” SungJong said to no one in particular but MyungSoo ended up smiling at his words.

Said that everyone started to warm up while some light comments were said and some small laughs were released. DongWoo participated in most of them but he still wasn’t acting comfortable and it made SungGyu feel he was the reason behind it. It was obvious they didn’t have everything settled. Not that they had tried to fix it yet.

“Yah,” SungGyu said when he was next to the younger male, his hand reaching for the dancer’s shoulder. The other members were busy laughing at L’s complex warm up. “I’m sorry I couldn’t do much about SungYeol, DongWoo.” There was no answer; the younger dancer simply diverted his orbs before a half smile appeared in his lips. Then he walked to where the youngsters were.

Even if SungGyu wanted to ignore it, even if he wanted to believe he was imagining things, he had seen it. There had been disappointment in DongWoo’s eyes.

He didn’t like that look. Not one bit. He preferred people looking at him with hateful eyes rather than disappointed ones. The first time he experienced it was when he decided to purchase his dream to become a singer. After plenty of fights and family problems he had caused SungGyu finally left his home. His parents said nothing as he left. His mother simply cried but she never stopped him and his father. He only saw him. His piercing orbs followed him as he walked out, and before the door was closed SungGyu saw it, the disappointment in those eyes that had looked over him for his whole life. After that he decided to always give his best and he did, until he took the position of Infinite’s leader. Taking care of six people isn’t as easy task, SungGyu knew best. They had done mistakes and he had tried to fix them all. He didn’t want to see that devastating look in Lee JungYeop who was like a father for him now. SungGyu always wanted to see an approving and proud look in other people’s eyes. But he was human, and even if he tired he had seen the disappointment look in their CEO and now, after five years, he had seen it in DongWoo’s eyes.

With that look pasted on the back of his mind SungGyu managed to finish the dance practice with a sincere smile on his face. He was truly excited about the following day and so was their CEO who had personally brought SungYeol to the dorms after the court session was finished.

Lee JungYeop never missed the chance to give some nice words to his idols before something big was coming up. That Saturday was no exception. Not only his encouraging words were directed to the members that were going to participate tomorrow on Inkigayo. His words were directed too to SungYeol who had been doing a great job following the CEO’s orders. He sounded content with the group and even if there had been some ups and downs he only could warm up their hearts and make them feel confident for tomorrow’s performance.

 

“Is this the only thing you can eat?” SungGyu took the opportunity to steal the small package of chips that WooHyun had been carrying in his hands since the boy was off-guard.

“Wha—Hyung!” WooHyun said as he noticed he wasn’t holding the chips anymore. “Why are you always bothering me about this?”

The tired look WooHyun wore was answered with an unimpressed one from the older male. “Because then you won’t eat dinner saying you’re full of this stuff.”

“I’m not a kid.”

This time SungGyu didn’t bother in answering as he walked away from the kitchen’s entrance not before popping one chip in his mouth.

“Come on WooHyun, let’s finish cooking dinner,” DongWoo, who had seen the interaction between both singers, said trying to pull the younger inside the kitchen so they could finish their job.

“Should we put some vinegar in our dearest leader’s portion?” WooHyun turned to look at the dancer with his usual scowl.

DongWoo blinked. “That’s not really nice, WooHyun-ah.”

“What? You can say mean stuff to him but I can’t add a bit of vinegar in his food—?” WooHyun complained but was cut by a loud voice from the living room.

“Nam WooHyun!”

After the encouraging words their CEO had said to them, the members decided to spent the rest of the day inside the dorms and have a nice dinner, just the seven of them. Ever since they started to have more individual activities and group activities they didn’t have much time to share a decent meal inside the dorms. They always ate from the closest convenience store, or the food that the label sent them. When good times came and they had some free time they would go to a fancy restaurant but a manager or other people usually accompanied Infinite. The only way they could actually enjoy themselves was in the commodity of their dining room. Having some tasty food courtesy of WooHyun and his knowledge of how to move around the kitchen. They could drink soju and talk freely without secret looks or whispered comments on their backs. It was then that they could be themselves. Where truth came and sins were exposed. Where they could, unconsciously, grow a stronger bond.

“You should let him be Hyung,” SungYeol, who was on the floor, said. His eyes were pasted on the TV screen where he was playing a videogame. “You know he’ll eat more just for the pleasure of annoying you.”

“If he lets him be he’ll get sick and it won’t be only his problem but ours too,” Hoya commented getting a nod from the leader who slouched on the sofa instantly getting SungJong’s head on his legs. SungGyu didn’t really mind it since he was used to the maknae’s behaviour.  

“That’s right. Thanks to me he doesn’t have anaemia yet,” he murmured before getting distracted by HoWon and SungYeol’s game.

SungJong smiled at his leader’s quite childish words before putting a calm expression on his face. “Well yeah, but WooHyun-hyung isn’t sick unlike someone.”

The proud expression that SungGyu had disappeared from his face as a puzzled one bloomed. Slowly he looked down to meet the maknae’s worried eyes.

“What do you mean?” SungGyu asked in a low voice between the swearing Hoya was shouting at SungYeol. Those two were too immersed in their game to notice.

“Nothing… it’s just—are you okay, Hyung?” SungJong looked to the TV  before meeting again the oldest’ orbs. “I mean you still have that raspy sound. It’s not as strong as before but…”

That was true, the unclear sound was still there, and the unpleasant sensation never left but it had slightly lowered. The medicine was somehow working - he didn't cough anymore - but he didn’t feel as healthy as he was before.

“It doesn’t hurt so don’t worry too much about it,” SungGyu lied with a soft smile.

“Are you sure?” SungJong pressured.

“Yah, believe in your Hyung’s words,” SungGyu was about to mess the youngest member’s hair but his inspiration was cut when SungYeol’s loud shouts and Hoya’s groans covered the dorms.

“You had to do that?! We were about to finish this—argh!” SungYeol kept blabbering for a while before he threw the control to SungJong’s stomach. He had no will to play again. “Your turn.”

“Finally!” SungJong rose from the leader’s lap and sat on the floor next to the dancer who wasn’t too content with their lost. SungYeol was already happy munching WooHyun’s chips.

“Let me play too,” SungGyu said as he extended his arm to Hoya so he could give him the control.

“But…” Hoya sighed before he handled it to the oldest male. “Whatever.”

Said that the dancing machine left the living room. He knew it was going to take a while before he could play again. SungJong was great in every videogame they owned and SungGyu wasn’t that bad. Just as HoWon entered his bedroom, the door from the left opened showing the missing member that had finally decided to appear in the living room with his half closed eyes and someone's purple hoodie. None of the three noticed L since they were busy with the game. 

“What are you playing?” MyungSoo decided to speak after he leaned on the wall close to the TV. Finally he caught SungGyu’s attention. Well, at least for a second. “Ah… you’re still at it?”

“Move, Hyung,” SungJong said loudly as L passed slowly in front of the screen.

MyungSoo snorted at the pretty high voice the maknae used. Willingly, he covered the TV from SungYeol’s gaze.

“Finished your nap already?” The taller male finally spotted him. Losing again his interest for the game.

“You were shouting too much,” MyungSoo shrugged before noticing the chip bag in the older member’s hands. Feeling hungry he walked forward to get closer to his friend. “Gimme.”

“No,” SungYeol answered instantly before he hid them behind his back, a mischievous look invading his eyes. It was obvious he was messing with the younger man. The reason? Because it was MyungSoo.

“Yah,” L extended his hand but he got no answer. Knowing his friend’s intentions MyungSoo quickly he went for SungYeol’s arm but he still didn’t get any. “Gimme some.”

“Nope,” SungYeol repeated giving his friend a sly look that surprised the younger.

MyungSoo pulled stronger the other’s arm but it didn’t work. SungYeol couldn’t control the smile that bloomed in his lips. Unfortunately didn’t last long. It disappeared the moment L’s face got closer to his. Those piercing eyes were looking deeply into SungYeol who somehow ended paralyzed. He was so close to SungYeol. A soft smirk appeared in MyungSoo’s lips when he noticed the state of the older male. Taking the chance, he slid his free hand to reach the hidden chips. In the process he slightly touched SungYeol’s hip. As an immediate reaction SungYeol’s knee went to L’s stomach draining the air from his lungs. SungYeol was surprised of his reaction and so were SungJong and SungGyu that had completely forgotten about the game.

“MyungSoo-hyung?” SungJong hurried to the hurting male, dropping the control in the process.

SungGyu just looked concerned at SungYeol. “Why did you hit him?”

“I… it’s just—” SungYeol didn’t know how to answer but the glare MyungSoo suddenly gave him caused him to frown. “I told him no and he still went for them.”

“I was just playing, you idiot,” MyungSoo hissed, his hands still hugging his hurt stomach.

This wasn’t the first time something similar to that happened between those two. There had been a few unusual reactions from SungYeol that had managed to surprise and finally hurt MyungSoo. SungGyu couldn’t really understand what was going on between those two but he believed it had something to do with the choding’s long absence. Before the scandal the two youngsters acted normally.

Not wanting to be there anymore, SungYeol left to find something to do inside the kitchen. L simply looked at him as he walked away.

The chips were now forgotten in the sofa.

 

“Are you two fighting?” SungGyu asked after MyungSoo was able to stand up correctly.

L shook his head. "He’s just acting weird.”

“Maybe Hyung’s just bothered with his situation,” SungJong guessed wanting to believe the taller male didn’t really meant to hurt MyungSoo. “After all, he hasn't open up to us about the accident. He’s just trying to avoid it.”

“I guess…” L didn’t sound too convinced.

Even if he wanted to, this was something SungGyu couldn’t get into. MyungSoo and SungYeol fights didn’t have to do that much with Infinite, they mainly had to do with the close friendship they had developed. As a friend, SungGyu could help them, but nothing more. Apart from that, he knew those two had their own way of fixing things. Since they were best friend it was pretty simple and easy for them to fight. The only problem was that MyungSoo said they weren’t actually fighting.

 

Half an hour passed and their stomachs were now grumbling. Not only they were done setting the table, SungGyu, L and SungJong were already seating at the table waiting for the glorious moment when someone would tell them the food was ready.

“I’m famishing,” SungJong whined as L rested his cheek on the cool table. His teeth biting the clean chopsticks.

“It’s not like they’re doing Peking duck.” SungGyu groaned as he left the chair just to lay stomach-flat on the floor. From there he saw how a bedroom’s door was opened.

“Hyung,” Hoya’s voice sounded before he stood close to the leader’s shoulders. There was small plastic bottle in his hand. “You left your vitamins in my bed.”

SungGyu turned to rest on his back as he eyed the small container. “Those aren’t mine. They belong to WooHyun.”

 “I saw Hyung when he left them in our room. He actually said you left them in his room.” SungJong shrugged.

“Ah, I—I guess I forgot.” Hoya murmured as he scratched his neck feeling completely embarrassed. Those surely weren't his.  

“Guys! The food’s ready!”

Everyone’s attention went to the kitchen’s entrance from where the loud voice had come. Just then DongWoo appeared with two plates in his hands and a wide smile. SungYeol followed closer with another plate.

“Let’s eat.” He said after placing the side dishes at the table. Then he took a seat next to SungJong.

“Shouldn’t we watch our video first and then eat?” Hoya asked when he noticed how everyone was intently looking at the filled plates. 

“But we have to wait half an hour for that,” SungJong sighed.

“Hoya’s right. Lets wait to see it and then we can eat.” SungGyu said before he poked the male that had his chopsticks in his mouth before taking a seat back on his chair. “Go bring your iPad, MyungSoo-ya.”

“You should’ve cooked quicker,” L groaned but still he stood up.

“Wait—what?” WooHyun said when he appeared with a pot and cooking gloves.

“So, should I take this back to the kitchen?” SungYeol said getting a painful ‘no’ from the maknae.

“We can wait for another half an hour,” DongWoo said as he picked the plates. Hoya took the one SungYeol had brought.

"We aren't going to eat now?" WooHyun asked in disbelief.

"No. We'll watch Speechless music video first," SungGyu answered him.

"The leader has spoken," SungYeol said with a loud voice getting another cry from the youngest member.

“I'm fine with that since I’m not really hungry,” WooHyun commented getting an unamused look from Hoya. 

“Can’t we just eat quickly?” SungJong begged his leader but the oldest male didn’t fall for that pout.

“No, you’re the only one complaining so forget it,” SungGyu pointed out. “Now hurry up with that iPad MyungSoo!”

“What?” WooHyun stared at SungGyu blatantly. “Seriously, why do we have to watch it in L’s iPad? I have a laptop for god’s sake!”

“That’s our tradition,” Hoya said a he walked back.

“Tradition is Chuseok not L’s iPad,” WooHyun answered with a smirk on his face.

“It’s not my fault you’re always missing when we see our released videos.”

It was obvious where this conversation was going. SungYeol rolled his eyes because of the common scene and SungJong sighed completely giving up on the idea of having a peaceful evening. DongWoo simply smiled shyly at both 91er-liners while SungGyu tried his best to calm himself.

“It’s not my fault I have more solo activities than you.”

“You just didn’t—”

“And I can say more.”

“Yah! Stop it both of you!”

Just like that Infinite started their last night before their big day. Like a bunch of youngsters with issues, unfinished business, friendship, and good moments that were willing to be together. They laughed and shouted, whined and cursed, they complained and complemented each other. In those few hours, the members of Infinite wanted to forget about fame, the media, their comeback and their fans. They just wanted to act like the commoners they used to be. That they were. Tomorrow they could worry.

Tomorrow was their big day.

Tonight they were just seven guys having dinner.

 

 

 

- Author's notes

So yeah, here comes the big announcement: 
 We kind of ended the first season (if you wanna call it that way) of the fic.
This chapter is like a filler-not-really-a-filler and a preview for you to hope and
 kind of imagine what will happen in the second part. All the hints are there!
Cuz, yes guys! We're in the middle of this fic!
(I have it all planned already, just so you know..)