FOURTEEN

The Difficulty Of Being Kim Sung Gyu

 

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:Perfection

 

 

They had a week to reach perfection with their comeback choreography. They had done it before with the original one when they filmed the music video but they weren't able to reach their known synchronization with the new dance thanks to all the commotion caused by SungYeol’s scandal and their reality. Now that all those things were coming to an end Infinite was going to get back on track. They had to.

As soon as they finished the reality and after SungGyu had a talk with their CEO, Infinite started with the tough training they used to have. Waking up at six in the morning and practice their dance and vocal until the clock reached three or even four in the morning. They had forgotten how tough it actually was. After they debuted their schedules got so tight they could only practice few hours a week but now that they had nothing on their schedule SungGyu was going to make sure Infinite got their title of best synchronized idols back in Inkigayo. And nothing was going to stop them.

 

“Is it still hurting?” DongWoo said with a worried voice as he helped MyungSoo take a seat on their sofa. SungJong was quickly on the floor helping him take off his left sneaker.

“Not that much.”

The face of Infinite shrugged his shoulders as he noticed from the corner of his eyes the concerned looks his leader and manager were giving him. Even if they were worried L could only feel a bit guilty.

“They said it’s not sprained but you still have to be cautious about it. We don’t want you to get seriously hurt,” Geonam said with a calm voice as he handled Hoya a white paper bag. “Be sure both of you get applied the ointment correctly and don’t forget to take the medicine for the swelling too.”

“Don’t worry, Hyung,” Hoya said as he eyed the medicines of the bag noticing he recognized them right away. He had seen them so many times before.

“JungYeop-nim decided you should have a sport therapist in your practices from tomorrow onwards to prevent you all from getting injured.” Geonam informed them before he eyed his mobile. “We can’t slow down the rhythm, not when you’re improving so quickly.”

“We won’t,” SungGyu sounded completely secure. “But Hyung, do you know if WooHyun is coming any time soon?”

Unlike the rest of the members, WooHyun had skipped the evening training since he was shooting some scenes for the drama he was in. Even with all the pressure they had and the controversy the group lived in because of the scandal, the young singer still had to present to the drama’s set. Apart from practicing for their debut WooHyun had to finish the drama, learn the scripts and go film whenever he was asked. It was amazing how he never complained – not even once – about it.

“JungRyul said they were still on the set but I don’t think it will take that long. WooHyun didn’t have so many scenes today,” As their manager said that Hoya couldn’t hide that uncomfortable expression that didn’t go unnoticed by their leader. “Well then, don’t sleep too late.”

“Like we would,” SungJong said looking up from the floor. A yawn caught his words. “Good night Geonam-hyung.”

It was usual for Infinite to get hurt while practicing and L was the best candidate when it came to get the weirdest and clumsiest injuries, following close was SungYeol. The handsome boy was a klutz and it was easy for him to lose his balance while dancing. As he was mastering a step that included some confusing feet movements L ended up hurting his left foot and knee. It could’ve been worst if Hoya hadn’t intervened with his fall. Therefore their main dancer got a twisted wrist. With that the practice got concluded.

Not only MyungSoo asked forgiveness to HoWon but to the other members as well because he was sorry about hurting their dance machine. It had been unintentional but causing trouble to their main card wasn’t a smart move from L.

 

Familiar with that type of injures DongWoo helped MyungSoo’s hurt knee while SungGyu covered Hoya’s wrist with the herbal ointment. SungJong, who finished bandaging L’s foot, went to bring the injured boys some water so they could take their medicine before leaving to take a hot shower. His muscles were so tensed it was painful for him to walk correctly.

“Who wants ramyun?” DongWoo said when he finished aiding L. Ever since they ended their training his stomach had been begging him for food.

“No thanks,” HoWon declined.

“Can you add tofu and eggs to it?” L asked with an unusual soft voice getting a grin from the rapper.

“It’s almost two and you’re planning to eat a full course meal?” SungGyu was so tired he couldn’t even call their attention correctly. The annoyance was obviously written on his face but he didn’t do anything to stop DongWoo for reaching the kitchen. He only wanted to get inside his bed and fall into Morpheus’ hands.

“DongWoo-hyung, cook some more for WooHyun,” L shouted before slouching on the sofa as if the simple act had drained all his remaining energy.  

“That picky guy had no lunch, right?” SungGyu looked at the two injured members before he tied the bandage on HoWon’s hand. “And I bet he forgot to eat something.”

“Most likely,” L bited his lip avoiding his leader’s eyes.

“Aish.” 

SungGyu never went to sleep if one of the members was outside working. He would always wait for them until they came back to the dorms. He never failed to do that. Apart from that, SungGy knew that if he went to sleep and didn’t look after WooHyun, the singer was going to go straight to bed with an empty stomach. He had seen him before. By now, the leader had noticed the shrunken cheeks WooHyun was developing and it made him feel slightly uncomfortable. They were reaching the point of looking sick and not handsome. Also, getting WooHyun sick wasn’t part of his plans for Infinite's comeback. 

“Just let him be Gyu-hyung. You should go to bed. Your dark circles are scaring everyone.” HoWon said after thanking his leader for the help. SungGyu didn't need to say it for the dancer to know he was planning on waiting for WooHyun.  

“Yeah, I will look after him. Go to bed, Hyung.”

SungGyu looked at both with his almost closed eyes knowing their words had completely different intentions. “I’m okay. Geonam-hyung said WooHyun was coming back soon so I don’t mind.”

“When will you stop spoiling him? He’s not a kid anymore. You don’t have to look after WooHyun every second,“ Hoya’s voice carried a serious tone and the frown on his forehead proved the irritation of the dancer. “Night everyone.”

Even if SungGyu tried to answer he found nothing to say so he just watched Hoya leave to his bedroom. Just when the door was closed L released a held breath he had been containing calling SungGyu’s attention. Unlike his undecipherable eyes MyungSoo’s corporal expression was something the leader could easily understand. He knew the Idol felt slightly disturbed about Hoya's and WooHyun’s fight. Usually the members didn’t let the other’s problems bother them but this fight was specially taking some of L’s thoughts.

“He’s still mad at WooHyun, right?” L murmured oblivious to the soft look his leader was giving him.

“It’s not like their fights only last a day, MyungSoo-ya.”

“I know, it’s just—He’s the one that’s working the hardest but I feel HoWon’s blinded by Hyung’s absence.”

“Hoya knows it’s unavoidable when WooHyun is called to the set because he had experienced that too but somehow it still gets on his nerves,” SungGyu pursed his lips before sighing too. “I can understand it since our comeback is getting closer and WooHyun’s stuck with the drama. I think it’s just natural to feel that way.”

“I don't think so,” L contradicted getting a cold look on his eyes. SungGyu was slightly surprised by the unusual reaction. Being tired made MyungSoo break his L shell easily.

“Is something wrong with WooHyun?”

The leader’s question made MyungSoo look away.

“No,” The younger boy paused. “I just think letting him get so much stress won’t be good for his health.”

The way L answered made SungGyu think the boy was actually hiding something but he decided to stop before he started nagging as he remembered WooHyun had exploited a few nights ago thanks to all the stress he was carrying. Maybe MyungSoo had noticed too the way the lead singer was acting. Therefore SungGyu nodded absentmindedly at his donsaeng’s words before yawning shamelessly.

Their conversation got interrupted as DongWoo’s voice sounded asking L how many eggs he wanted in their ramyun.

“You know, Hyung? This comeback will be unforgettable,” MyungSoo snorted. “So many things had happened in just one month. The scandal, our radio rebellion, the Forever Sevens and the usual WooYa fight. Am I missing something?”

“I don’t even wanna remember,” SungGyu groaned knowing they still had a week to go. “Either way I’m gonna fix this stupid fight before something big actually happens between those two.”

L’s smile cheered up SungGyu. “Good luck, Hyung.”

 

After ordering DongWoo to eat and help L get straight to bed SungGyu made his way to the Lee’s bedroom. The leader didn’t even bother knocking. It was something he only did in the dorm. While everyone else knocked on the doors before entering SungGyu simply opened them - unless he was fighting with WooHyun. As he walked inside he found Hoya resting over his stomach. The dancer was about to put his earphones on. The only clothes he was wearing were his stripped purple boxers and a black wife beater.

When he heard the door opening Hoya turned to face the leader. His black rimmed glasses were resting on the tip of his nose.

“Hyung?”

SungGyu didn't answer. He just walked to take a seat on the desk chair next to the dancer’s bed before saying with a serious voice. “What are you listening? We’re supposed to be asleep, you know?”

“I know but I wanted to check my parts for Speechless,” Hoya showed him the paper sheets he had on top of his pillow. “I don’t feel that secure with the second rap.”

The hardworking Hoya always ended up surprising the leader. “You’re working really hard.”

“I’m trying,” Hoya’s face got dirty with a dull grimace. “But twenty four hours for a day aren’t enough now.”

“I know what you mean,” SungGyu grinned getting a smile from the dancer.

The calm but strong feeling HoWon released was something SungGyu had always enjoyed. He liked the sensation of support and trust the younger male gave him. Their talks were always meaningful and interesting. Whenever they talked SungGyu ended up learning something from Hoya and he was grateful for the friendship they shared. Having the dancer by his side when they were trainees made things a lot easier for SungGyu. He would always thank HoWon for that.

“Do you think we’re ready for our comeback?” SungGyu asked him curiously. Sometimes he believed Hoya was the one with the right answers.

“No,” The reply came quickly. “I believe no one is ever ready for their comebacks. There will always be something to fix but if we are able to keep on with this rhythm I think we’ll be able to give a decent performance.”

SungGyu raised his eyebrows. “A decent performance?”

“We won’t be able to give our best since we lost a lot of time, there were lots of changes and we don’t know when SungYeol’s gonna come back. We don’t even know if he’s gonna appear on Inkigayo with us so we have to work twice as hard because we have not only one but two choreographies to master,” Hoya placed the cards bluntly.

“Either way. You should believe in your team, Hoya,” SungGyu knew how hard it was but he trusted his donsaengs. “There’s no impossible for Infinite.”

A sad smile appeared on HoWon’s lips. “Right now I don’t feel I can trust them. They have been so relaxed about this. Hyung, I wanted to use wisely every second we got to practice and instead of doing the same they ended up picking up a fight with me.”

“They didn’t. WooHyun did,” SungGyu corrected him.

“I didn’t want to state the obvious,” Hoya murmured before looking up at his leader’s eyes. ”I feel they don’t care anymore whether we do a perfect performance or a mediocre one.”

HoWon’s voice carried a sad feeling. They had seen how other Idols had simple and not so perfect choreographies and how they were still recognized. He could only wonder if the other members felt they didn’t need to work that hard to be on the spotlight like the others.

“Don’t compare us with other Idols. We are not like them. We are Infinite,” Ever since they debuted SungGyu had been saying that to the younger members. “And that includes Tasty.”

“Don’t mention those twins,” Hoya groaned surprising SungGyu. He thought they got along pretty well. “I like them. They are great guys and dancers too but when it comes to business I just can’t stand them.”

“How come?”

“It’s more like I’m jealous of their teamwork. I know they are twins but you’ve seen them training. If they aren’t in an interview or completing their schedule those two are stuck in the dance studio. Their passion for music and their desire for success is enviable.” 

“Funny. That’s what I think when I see you guys in the dance studio,” SungGyu said with a soft voice surprising Hoya. “You have never paid attention to it, right? The way everyone’s eyes shine and how they keep on working hard to achieve the same goal. Even if everyone now has almost completely different schedules they all work hard not only for their image but to make Infinite’s name bigger.”

The way HoWon was looking at him proved SungGyu the young man had never thought about it.

“You, MyungSoo, DongWoo, SungJong, SungYeol and even WooHyun. All of you, whenever you do something individually being a drama or the sub-units, you always say proudly that you belong to Infinite.”

Hoya was smiling gently as he started to remember everyone’s presentations. His leader was right. “You did that too when you promoted your solo album.”

SungGyu scratched his neck with a goofy smile pasted on his lips.

“Everyone truly cares about Infinite, even WooHyun with his carefree attitude does and you know that.”

“I guess…”  

The leader could see the slightly remorseful feeling behind that straight face and the released sigh revealed how troubled his donsaeng actually was. SungGyu placed his palms on Hoya’s shoulders before giving him another goofy smile. After all, Hoya was a good guy.

“Hyungs!”

The peaceful atmosphere got interrupted as the bedroom’s door got opened widely. The maknae quickly walked inside with a wide smile on his face; his hair was damp and a towel was hanging from his arm.

“I was worried you fell asleep already,” SungJong said as he took their hands confusing both older youngsters. The boy seemed way too hyper as if it was midday. Did he take some vitamin medicine or something?

“We should be,” SungGyu stated as released his hand from the boy’s grip before he stood up from HoWon’s bed. “So get on your bed and sleep.”

“I can’t,” SungJong took again his leader’s hand and pulled Hoya’s making him leave the bed. The action not only surprised SungGyu but Hoya too. The young boy didn’t go against his leader, at least not in such a cynic way.

"Yah, Lee SungJong."

“Don’t you remember what day is today?” SungJong said rolling his eyes.

“Sunday…?” Hoya was hesitant to conclude his answer as the maknae snorted.

“It’s already Monday,” the cheerfulness in SungJong’s voice was weird. The older boys turned to look at each other hopping the other one knew what was actually going on with the youngster. “It’s Monday twenty-third, Hyungs!”

“Yah! Are you coming or not?!”

L’s shout broke the silent atmosphere the dorm had.  How come MyungSoo was awake? They all should be sleeping.

“Monday twenty-third?”

Hoya repeated as his face lighted up confusing more their leader. SungJong grinned at them before pushing both males outside the bedroom. When they reached the living room SungGyu found out MyungSoo was still on the same spot holding his iPad while DongWoo was bouncing next to him with a half-empty bowl of ramyun. A merry smile covered his face. SungJong quickly went to take a seat on the other side of L.

“There are already so many comments!” DongWoo said waving at them so both boys would hurry to their side. Hoya grinned taking a seat in front of MyungSoo. He patted gently the boy’s hurt leg in a caring way proving his donsaeng he wasn’t mad at him.

What was going on with them?

“Yah!” SungGyu shouted at them as he walked to the sofa. With a strong movement he took away the iPad that seemed to be the cause of their disobedience before he started to call their attention. “You all should be sleeping! Not watching some YouTube video—!”

Then it hit him.

“M-monday twenty-third?”

He was the last one to repeat it ending up being the laugh stock of the group.

On Monday, June twenty-third infinite’s Speechless teaser was going to be released on the Internet.