The DAYS. . .

Best Days of our Lives

Among our friends it’s only us that still don’t have a partner, our friends always tease us that we’re getting older and must already have a love life. It’s really annoying why should I get one because I’m contented being single.


Then one day, he asked me if we could act as lovers so that our friends would stop teasing us.


At first I wanted to disagree on his childish plan, but when he said that we’ll just give it a try and we’ll only spend one hundred days as lovers, I thought that I should give it a chance so I agreed.


We’ve been friends for like forever so I’m already comfortable around him. Our friends believed that we’re already lovers and wished us happiness.


The first couple of days of us being lovers went smoothly and very enjoying. We went to different places, did a lot of childish things, we acted really as a couple.


On the 10th day, we decided to go to an amusement park, and we saw a fortune teller and tried it just to kill time.


“Spend your time together to the fullest”


The fortune teller said. We didn’t get what she said so we just nodded. We spent our time in the amusement park riding almost all the rides and ate at almost all the food stands, and we totally forgot what the fortune teller told us a while ago.


As days passed spending each time together, my feelings for him started to grew, and somehow I don’t see him only as a friend anymore.


On the 50th day, we went to the mountain to have a picnic, later that night, we shared our first kiss… My heart fluttered, the moment our lips touched, I felt everything around us stopped. I realized I completely fell in love with him.


After the kiss, we both blushed and got shy fro each other. I’ll never forget that day.


On the 56th day, we went back at the mountain again and spent the night there, we watched the stars and then suddenly we saw a shooting star, we both quickly wished.
 

I asked him what did he wished but he didn’t answer me, I pouted my lips but he just chuckled and pinched my cheeks.


The next day he gave me a keychain of a star and told me to keep it always as a reminder of him. I felt very happy because it was his first gift to me.


Each day we spent together I’ve been feeling nothing but fun, but aside from feeling happy somehow I feel sad because we both know this will end soon.


On the 99th day, we just spend our time together doing ordinary things. We decided to stroll around the park, watch the children play and also we had a dinner at a fine restaurant.


 


-9:00 pm-
 

As we walk back hand in hand, he asked me if I would like some lemonade and he’ll buy me one, I said I like ice cream instead.


“Just stay here okay, wait for me I’ll be back quickly” 


He said as he ran going to the ice cream parlor. I sat at the bench to wait for him.



-9:45 pm-


It’s been minutes since he left but still he hasn’t returned yet, I’m already getting worried. I stayed because he said that I should wait for him.


I suddenly heard from people who passed by about an accident in the street. I immediately felt weird so I ran to where the ice cream parlor is.


I saw a lot of people gathered around something and an ambulance in the street. I suddenly felt heavy but I dragged myself to the commotion.


I shivered as I saw him lying down the street bathing in his own blood. He’s still breathing but totally unconscious.



-10:00 pm-


The medics started to put him in the ambulance while I stayed shocked about what’s happening. I came to my senses when they were about to close the ambulance door.


I immediately told the medics that I’m with him so they allowed me to come. I sat beside him while he’s lying down the stretcher.


I held tightly at his hand hoping that he would at least wake up, as I saw a lot of wounds in his body and face, I can’t help not to cry. The trip was too painful to bear.


 

-11:00 pm-


As we arrived at the hospital, they immediately took him to the E.R. I wanted to stay by his side but the doctors won’t allow me… I stayed outside crying. His parents and our friends came, we comforted each other but it’s not enough to tend what I’m feeling.



-11:45 pm-


A nurse came out and she said that the doctors are still trying their best to make him stable. Then she looked for me and gave me a letter telling me that they found it in his pocket.



-11:50 pm-

 

I opened the letter.


Dara,

I felt so happy when you agreed to my plan. I thought that at last I could spend time with you not as your friend but as your lover even though it would be just for a short while. You know what, I have loved you since we were still kids. I know it sounds silly but I fell for you immediately the first time I saw you.


I stayed single hoping that you’ll notice me, I’m happy that you also stayed single even if a lot of boys asked for your love. And when I finally had the courage, I took the chance to ask you.


These past few days, you made my life happier, that I totally forgot that we only have 100 days together.


Remember when we saw a shooting star? You asked me what I wished. Actually, I wished that if we could still stay as lovers after our 100th day or if it could be of any luck, that we’ll stay together forever.



Thank you for spending your time with me. You became the star that granted my dream. I love you so much and I hope that you’ll also feel the same way for me.


Saranghae my star.


-Kwon Jiyong-


I didn’t wait for a while, I immediately ran towards the E.R. even though the doctors were stopping me.



-11:55 pm-


I held his hand as tears started to roll down my cheeks, the doctors then allowed me to have a moment with him.


I looked at him, he’s still breathing but it looks like it would be impossible for hi to wake up, it’s as if he’s just waiting for something.


“Jiyong ah, I hate seeing you hurt like this, I’m sorry we only got to spend time together with just a short while. I didn’t regret spending 99 days of my life with you, those were the best days of my life.

 

You taught me how to love, and I’m grateful that it is you whom I first shared with it.


I’m already here Jiyong. You can now let go of this pain because I’ll soon be with you someday”

 

I softly caressed his bruised cheeks. I must let him go… I’m hurt seeing him in pain, and I must not be selfish for his sake.


“Saranghae Jiyong, I will never forget you” Then I gently kissed his lips as tears rolled down my cheeks.

 

It’s as if he heard me because suddenly I saw a small smile from his lips and a drop of tear from his eyes.


-12:00 am-


On our 100th day, his heart beat went flat. Sound of sobs filled the room… the doctors tried to revive him but they failed.

 


I held out the keychain ‘Wait for me Jiyong… I promise that I’ll spend my life to the fullest and share to others the love that you taught me… don’t worry, I know that we’ll be together someday’