AUGUST - Tao and Kris

Anywhere with You is Heaven

 

"Zitao, call me if there's any problem, okay?"

"It's Tao." Tao told his brother as he was closing his backpack.

"Huh?" Baekhyun answered, looking confused.

"I said don't call me Zitao. Call me Tao. It's manlier." Tao heard Baekhyun laugh and he frowned at the older boy. "What?"

"Nothing." His gege shrugged and rumpled his hair.

"Hey, don't touch it! I just spent an hour fixing this." Tao said as he moved away from the older boy.

"You spent an hour making that mess?" Baekhyun laughed. "You should've told me. I could have done that in less than 3 seconds!"

"Whatever." Tao muttered.

"Are you sure you all have your papers with you?" His brother asked as he rummaged through his own bag.

"I do." Tao answered. Here they go again.

"Don't you really want me to pack a lunch for you? What if you don't like the food there?" Tao watched as Baekhyun paused, his face scrunched with thinking. "How about I just take it with me and then we could meet at lunchtime? Your school's not too far from mine."

Tao sighed. "Baekhyun-ge, I'm nineteen. I can take care of myself."

"I know you're nineteen. You've been chanting that since May. But I promised mom I'll take care of you when we get here. You know the only reason they let me study here is if I take you with me."

"The reason they wanted me with you is because you're small. If I wasn't with you, you'll get trampled on in the streets. I was supposed to watch over you, not the other way around." Tao said with a hand on his waist.

"Really? Well, tell that to grandma. No matter how big and strong you get, I'm still older than you." Baekhyun said smugly.

"I can pick you up with one arm." Tao said just as smugly.

"At least I don't cry over horror films! Mind you, horror." The shorter boy rolled his eyes.

"Well, they were scary!" The dark-haired boy cried in defense.

"Fine. It's okay if you won't have lunch with me. But call me when the orientation's done, you hear? We still have to go home together and look into the dorms in our list. We should be able to move out within a week. Staying here's expensive for dad." Baekhyun explained.

"Dad could afford it." Tao grumbled. "And the dorms here are small."

"If you keep on asking dad to buy those designer bags of yours, we'll be out in the streets in no time." Baekhyun said, pointing to the bag Tao was holding.

Tao hugged the said designer backpack to him. "Just jealous."

"Uh, huh. Anyway, I already shortlisted two places so we can look into them this afternoon."

"Okay." The taller boy patted his brother's head and laughed as Baekhyun frowned. "Don't make that face, gege. You just end up cute."

"I hate it that I have to put up with you and your height." Baekhyun grumbled.

"I told you to drink milk. You didn't listen."

 

They set off for school and separated at the bus stop. Tao smiled as he walked through the university, feeling independent for the first time since coming here in the city. It's not that he doesn't want to spend time with his brother but he just turned nineteen (for the nth time) and he's a man now and it doesn't help his image if people see him hanging on to Baekhyun. Although when they first arrived he couldn't help but cling to his gege. He was not used to so many people, so much noise. Luckily, he got over it fast.

Tao surveyed the students around him as he walked across the buildings. Don't people in Seoul drink milk at all? They were so... small.

He can see some students scurrying away from him. They're probably intimidated by his height. He's also wearing the Tao Look: cool eyes, tilted jaw, and small smirk. He practiced it in front of the mirror so much during summer. He felt more confident as he walked towards his department.

"Hey, you." Someone called and Tao turned to see a group of boys sitting carelessly at the steps near the entrance. "Newbie!"

They looked like delinquents and Tao didn't have time for them so he just continued walking.

"Hey! I'm talking to you!" Said a medium built boy who looked like his bowels were not moving correctly. The boy walked closer to Tao.

Tao just looked at him. Should he offer him grandma's tea leaves? His face says that he needs it. It's not possible that that expression is natural, right?

"Why aren't you answering?" The boy moved closer and was now invading Tao's personal space. Tao's senses came on alert.

"I'm sorry. I can actually help you. If it hurts too much, I can probably give you some of grandma's tea leaves. They aid indigestion. It helps loosen the... bowel." Tao said calmly.

The group of boys laughed at their friend which made the constipated-looking boy look more well, constipated. He shot his friends a dirty look before returning his gaze to Tao.

"You're a smart , aren't you? Well not for long." The boy threatened. "No one ignores me. No one-"

"What's going on here?"

"Leader." Constipated boy muttered with annoyance and moved a few steps back from Tao. Zitao saw a blonde-haired giant walking their way. Obviously he drank milk. A lot.

The guy was easily half a head taller than him and looks like a model with his long lanky frame and handsome face. "Wonbae?"

"Leader. I was just welcoming the new guy." The junior said pointing to Tao.

Leader turned to Tao. "What are you still doing here? The orientation's starting."

The guy had so much presence that Tao was a little taken aback when he became the recipient of those piercing eyes.

"Come with me." The leader said. He walked towards the building without even looking back to see if Tao was following him or not. Tao threw a smirk at constipated boy and followed the blonde guy.

"You should be careful." Leader told him as they reached the lobby. "I don't tolerate any kind of trouble and I don't care who started it. Everyone gets punished."

"Tell that to them." Tao muttered. He had to admit though he was intimidated by the taller boy.

"By the way, my name's Kris Wu. I'm the college rep here." They paused when they reached the auditorium doors. "You can enter here for the orientation. You'll know everything there is to know, just listen to the speakers. It's pretty easy to survive here. Just stay out of trouble."

And then he left Tao staring after him torn between admiration and envy. "It's just his height." Tao told himself. "Just his height."

 

 

It had been a long day and Kris was so tired. There were a lot of things to take care of and he couldn't believe how students become stupider every year. Well, not really stupid but more like they're too spoiled to learn anything for themselves. They couldn't even fill out a simple registration form.

He rubbed his tense neck muscles. Good thing though that there weren't any trouble that happened today. There could have been trouble, Kris thought as he remembered the tall black haired boy.

The first time he saw him, the boy wore an arrogant expression. There was a challenging air about him. No wonder Wonbae and the other juniors wanted to pick a fight. The younger boy was trouble with a capital T.

"Leader! Come quick!" A student officer barged into his council office. "Leader!"

"What is it?" But Kris had a bad feeling about this.

"There's a group of juniors ganging up on my freshie. We were touring the campus but when I did a roll call for my group, one was missing. I found them near the back of the Math building. Leader, let's go!" The student explained worriedly.

Kris stood up. Just when he thought that the day was about to end smoothly now this. "Come."

The running student officer can barely keep up with the blonde guy's long strides. Kris doesn't run. He never does. And he doesn't sweat either. But he does get angry.

They reached the scene and he saw six male students surrounding the black haired boy from earlier. He knew it. But he didn't expect him to hold out on his own against six people. The freshie was panting but there was barely a scratch on him while his opponents looked the worse for wear.

Just then Wonbae tried to attack him from behind but in a swift maneuver the boy bent down, stretched his arms out and with a quick hit managed to upend a dazed Wonbae. The others ran towards the boy again but Kris stepped forward. "Enough."

The students looked scared as they saw Kris.

"Leader!" Some of them shouted in surprise and started to move back.

"I don't have to tell you what will happen because of this." Kris stared hard at them.

"You." Kris pointed at the student officer."Report this to the dean, now."

"Newbie, you come with me." Kris waited for the kid to go to him. He had been quiet the whole time. He walked stiffly to Kris' side. The taller guy just noticed a bleeding cut on the boy's face and he had a limp. Amazing ninja moves aside, the younger boy was hurt.

They walked silently towards the clinic. It was empty. Who goes to the clinic on the first day of school anyway?

Kris went to the first aid cabinet as the boy sat on a chair.

"What's your name?" The leader asked.

"It's Zi... It's Tao." The younger boy muttered.

Kris didn't know anything about first aid so he just went and got a disinfectant, some cotton and a plaster. Tao flinched as Kris roughly cleaned the cut on his face and winced as he put on the band aid. He knew he was poor at this. He wasn't a nurse dammit.

"You and I are gonna have this talk." Kris stood in front of Tao. He can feel a throb on his temple. "When I said stay out of trouble, I meant stay out of trouble."

"I stayed out of trouble. Those buttheads came after me." Tao spoke defensively.

"You could have walked away. There were six of them." Kris pointed out. Really, the kid has no common sense.

"I can easily handle ten people." Tao said with a smug smile.

"Yeah, so why are you limping? And you'll probably get a scar from that cut on your cheek." That certainly got a reaction. Kris was surprised as the boy pushed him aside to get to the mirror in the wall.

"No..." The boy wailed.

"You gotta be kidding me." But no. The boy turned and looked at him with watery eyes.

"Are you crying?" Kris asked incredulously.

Tao moved closer to the leader and pointed at his face. "Is it ruined? Is my face ruined?"

, those were definitely tears. "No. Dammit, stop crying!"

Kris realized he made a wrong move as the kid sobbed louder. "Stop shouting at me. My life is ruined and you're being mean."

He knew next to nothing when faced with crying girls let alone a tall kid who claimed he can easily beat ten guys. Obviously shouting at him won't work. Look what happened.

"My face..." The boy cried some more. "I'm ugly."

"No. You're not." And Kris was surprised to see that he really wasn't. There were tears running down his face and his nose was quite red but he was still beautiful. He was the most beautiful crying person he has ever seen. Wait, what? What?

"Really?" Said Tao with a hiccup.

"Yeah." Kris gingerly patted the boy's head. He can feel his manhood shrivel with this conversation. But then he was rewarded by a bright smile from the kid and unconsciously he thought it wasn't so bad at all.

Trouble with a capital T? No. This kid's more like a baby with a capital B.

 

 

 

Tao kept shooting discreet glances at the taller boy next to him. He can't believe that the cool-gazed leader walked him to his hotel. He knew it was to prevent any more trouble but... He doesn't know what. For the first time, he was shy.

He was grateful that the leader was concerned about his limp so he was helping him out but that doesn't explain the flush that covered his face when Kris' hand held on to his arm to assist him with walking.

They finally reached the hotel entrance and Kris let go of his arm. "You're staying here?"

"Um, yes. But I'll be transferring to a dorm as soon as I find a good one."

"I have a spare room in mine." Kris said but then he looked like he wanted to snatch the words back. Tao laughed at his expression.

"No. It's okay." He let the leader off the hook. But then Kris continued.

"You need it right? We can share dorms. It won't be easy for you walking around with that limp and my dorm's just two blocks away from school. And besides if you dorm with me at least I can make sure you're not causing trouble." The guy was looking everywhere but him.

"I told you I didn't start it." Tao said indignantly.

"Right. So?" Kris finally looked at him.

"Okay, Duizhang." He answered.

"What?"

"I said okay, I will dorm with you, Duizhang." He repeated.

"Duizhang, huh? Nobody's called me that before. But it's still leader so what the heck."

Tao was surprised he understood. He didn't expect him to know chinese. He didnt really look it but was he one?

Kris turned to walk away. "I'll just see you then. Just tell me when you're ready to move in."

"Thanks." Was all Tao could say. He shook his head after realizing he's been staring at Kris' retreating back. It's just his height. Just his height.

He entered the elevator and as he neared their hotel floor Tao thought, "Baekhyun-ge's gonna kill me."