May - Baekhyun and Chanyeol

Anywhere with You is Heaven

 

Baekhyun got outside and ran.

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun couldn't breathe.

He ran and ran, not caring that his knees were close to giving out and his feet were turning numb with exertion.  He can't stop. He won't stop.

Chanyeol, he chanted. Chanyeol.

He had to get to him. He had to. Because by then, if he sees Chanyeol was alright, he'll be able to breathe again. The vision of his boyfriend's lifeless face flashed unbidden before his eyes. No, he cried. No.

But the images were so vivid. The voices in his head, clear and loud and as true as the thunderous beating inside his chest. He tried to drown them, tried to believe that everything would be alright but fear already had him in its grip and wouldn't let go. He was trembling with its force. Chanyeol, his heart kept on crying out. Chanyeol.

He reached the main street and he was once again in his dream. There were people everywhere. Sirens blaring, a deafening background to the hushed whispers and piercing shouts of the crowd. They were huddled together, in clumps and in groups, and in the midst of it all was Baekhyun, alone, shaking and terrified.

"It was a clean shot straight through the chest." A man to his left said.

He felt his heart breaking into millions of pieces of emptiness. It was his dream. It was his nightmare turned into reality.

"No!" The loud cry was torn from his chest. "No."

Baekhyun ran past all of them, stopping only when he reached the taped off area of the street where the sirens wailed louder. He froze as he caught a glimpse of a prone body. "Please. Please." He could barely see past the tears that were pouring from his eyes and shattering his soul. This pain, Baekhyun was dying inside. He stumbled forward and clawed against the barrier. The yellow line that stops him from going to Chanyeol. "Please."

Don't take him away from me. Please. Don't. Chanyeol.

He didn't know who he was talking to. He didn't know who he was asking for help. But all the prayers he was capable of were etched into every plea. "Please, no."

"I'm sorry. You can't walk past this line." A police officer grabbed Baekhyun's arm.

"I have to see him officer. I have to get to him. Please. He needs me." He wept brokenly. "I need him. So much. I need him. Please."

"You can't. I'm sorry." Each word pounding through his already crumbling world.

"Please. Please..." He sobbed; his body was bowed in pain and despair. "Oh, Please."

Let me go to him. Chanyeol. White hot pain slicing through him with every breath. I can't lose you. I can't.

 

I really, really love you. Let's make this last forever.

 

Don't leave me. Don't leave me here. Please.

Come back to me, he cried. Or just take me with you. Don't leave me. Because there is no life at all without Chanyeol. No happiness. Without him there was nothing. He was nothing.

 

 

 

"Baekhyun!"

 

 

His heart slammed into his chest. He knew that voice.

"Baekhyun!" His head snapped up at the sound of his name.

"Baekhyun!" It was the voice he looks forward to hear every day of his life. He turned to his left and saw him standing a few meters away. "Baekhyun!" He called again.

Baekhyun didn't waste another second. He pulled himself from the officer's grasp and ran blindly towards the voice. His heart began beating again, running faster than ever. He stopped just as he reached him and cupped his face just to make sure that this was real. He traced the boy's eyes, his nose and lips, with unsteady fingers.

"Baek." Chanyeol whispered.

His name on his boyfriend's lips sent life back through his veins. He threw his arms around Chanyeol and buried his head against his neck. "Chanyeol." He cried harder, his hands clutching at Chanyeol's shirt to pull him tighter to him. "My Chanyeol." He was never letting go because he was afraid that if he loosened his hold, Chanyeol will be snatched away from him and he'll find himself alone and empty.

"Shhh, Baekhyun. It's alright." Chanyeol said against his hair, the taller boy's arms were also wrapped tightly around him.

"I thought I lost you. I thought-" He could barely speak with the relief coursing through him. "I can't lose you."

"You won't." Chanyeol whispered reassuringly. "You won't."

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol gazed at the sleeping Baekhyun for the last time before he closed their bedroom door and went to sit on the sofa. He was worried about Baekhyun. He has been crying since this morning and only stopped when he fell asleep with exhaustion. Chanyeol had him in his arms, rocking him through his grief. He was hurt seeing Baekhyun like that but he was helpless to stop the smaller boy from clinging on to him and weeping against his chest.

He didn't know what Baekhyun was doing outside or how he got there. He was still in his pajamas and he was visibly shaken when he found him. Chanyeol was surprised when Baekhyun launched himself against him and held on to him tight. It must be scary to see the scene earlier with all the people, the police cars and the wailing of the ambulance sirens but Chanyeol had a feeling that Baekhyun was afraid of something more.

He dialed Kyungsoo's number. He needed a friend to help him right now. Kyungsoo answered immediately. "Chanyeol?"

"Kyungsoo. I'm... We're cancelling Baekhyun's party."

"What happened?" He could hear the worry in his friend's voice.

"I'm not sure what happened. Baekhyun's not feeling well, he fell asleep just now. He cried for more than four hours... "

"But why?"

"I don't know. I went out to buy something for his party this morning. Baekhyun was still asleep but since we slept late I didn't wake him up and just left a note telling him where I'll be going. I was already on my way home when I heard screaming and I saw a policeman running after a thief. I got out of the way when I heard gunshots. Thankfully, it didn't last long but the next thing I knew was there were people everywhere and I heard the thief got shot." He paused, remembering the chaos that ensued.

"I was making my way through the crowd so I could continue on my way home when I saw Baekhyun near the police line, trying to get past an officer. He was crying. I called out to him and when he saw me he looked surprised. Kyungsoo, when he ran to me, I knew there was something wrong. He kept on saying he didn't want to lose me and even after assuring him I'm alright, he just kept on crying."

"I'm sorry, Chanyeol. What can I do?" Kyungsoo answered sadly.

"Can you help me call the others? Please tell them that the party's cancelled because Baekhyun's not feeling well." Chanyeol sounded a little tired himself.

"Okay. Don't worry. I'll handle it. Anything else?"

Chanyeol thanked the heavens for friends like Kyungsoo. "Nothing else, I'll just watch over him for a while. Thanks, Kyungsoo."

"It's nothing. I hope Baekhyun feels better soon. I'll drop by tomorrow, okay?"

He agreed and thanked his friend once again. Chanyeol called Tao to tell him about what happened to his brother and the younger boy rushed to get to their dorm. Chanyeol opened the door to a distraught Tao.

"Where is gege?"

"He's in our room. He hasn't eaten yet. Maybe you can take his food to him and help him eat." He went to get the tray of food he prepared and handed it to Tao. Chanyeol watched Tao enter their room and he went back to his spot on the sofa. Maybe seeing Tao can help Baekhyun calm down some more.

He was angry at himself for his ineptitude because he doesn't know what to do at times like this. He doesn't know because he still was not sure what happened for Baekhyun to react that way. He knew he was worried about Chanyeol. If he was in Baekhyun's place and thought that something bad happened to his boyfriend, he'll be a wreck, too. But what was puzzling was how Baekhyun came to that conclusion, why did Baekhyun think that something bad happened to him? Why was he so scared?

He sat there waiting and hoping for Baekhyun to feel better. An hour or so passed when he heard the bedroom door open and Tao came out with the tray of food. Chanyeol was relieved to see that more than half of it was gone.

The younger was the first to speak. "He ate a little. I tried to force him to eat it all but he said he wasn't hungry. I watched him earlier and he looked so troubled even in his sleep. He probably felt my presence in the room because he woke up not long after I came in." He sighed. "I'm worried, Chanyeol-ge."

Chanyeol was a little surprised to hear Tao call him that. Maybe the boy already accepted him as family and Chanyeol was glad for it. "I'm worried, too." He stood up to put a hand on the boy's shoulde, feeling they found a connection through their mutual love for Baekhyun.

"He told me what happened. And he started crying again. He's so afraid of losing you. I told him that you we're alright but I'm not sure he believes it yet." Tao looked Chanyeol in the eye. "I love my brother so much and I wanted to be the one to comfort him. But this time, you're the one he needs. I'm going to trust you with him, okay? And I know you can make this right."

Chanyeol nodded solemnly. "I will." He said. He wants to. He has to.

Tao said goodbye a few minutes later, asking him to take care of Baekhyun again and promised to come back tomorrow. They decided that Baekhyun probably needs to skip his classes the next day so he can rest. Chanyeol closed the door and leaned his forehead against it. Feelings of uncertainty washed over him again. How can he erase all of Baekhyun's fears?

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun was lying on his side, curled into himself on the bed. He was tired but he couldn't go back to sleep. He was thankful for Tao's help in cleaning himself up and eating. Baekhyun was comforted by his brother's embrace but the emotion was fleeting. Inside, there was still insecurity gnawing at him, rendering him immobile and making his heart ache. He couldn't get past the image of Chanyeol, lifeless and still. It was deeply ingrained in his head.

What if it comes true? What if Chanyeol is taken away from him? It really was so real. How can it rip him apart this way if it was just a dream? He felt a burning at the back of his eyes again and his cheeks got damp. He barely saw Chanyeol come in and walk towards him because of the tears.

"Baekhyun." The taller boy said before he sat down on the bed and gathered him in his arms again. He tucked Baekhyun against him and traced slow circles against his back.

Baekhyun can feel the sadness radiating from Chanyeol and he felt guilty that he was causing the other's distress. But he can't help hanging on to him. He was still scared. "Please don't cry, anymore."

"I'm sorry." He sobbed against the younger's neck. "I can't stop it. I don't want to lose you."

"You won't lose me. Baekhyun, I'm here." Chanyeol said against his head.

"But my dream, it was so real. You were... you were taken from me. And then... I was taken from you. I couldn't... I can't." And the painful throb was there again.

Chanyeol shifted Baekhyun so his ear was pressed against his chest. "Baekhyun-ah, hear that? It's my heart. It's still beating. I'm here. I'm still here. I'll always be here." Baekhyun straightened and wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's neck, chests flush against each other. "No one can take me away from you."

"I love you." He said. "I love you." And then he was saying it against Chanyeol's lips. " I love you." Baekhyun captured the taller boy's face between his hands, drowning his worries and fears and I love you's in the other's mouth. He carded his fingers through the sides of his hair as he kissed him deeply. Chanyeol slid his hands up Baekhyun's arms and around his neck, pulling him close and kissing him back.

Baekhyun dragged his lips across the younger's and brushed them along his jaw and cheek before he sought Chanyeol's mouth again, kissing him with a desperation borne of love. "I love you." Trembling, he leaned unto him, his heart thundering and his fingers clenching convulsively to hold the taller boy closer. Chanyeol's embrace tightened, crushing Baekhyun's body against his, his hands angling across his back. Baekhyun pulled his mouth an inch from his boyfriend's and leaned his forehead weakly against his cheek. Eyes closed, and heart beating almost painfully, he whispered, "I need you."

Chanyeol put his hand under Baekhyun's chin and tipped his face up, his breathing ragged. His mouth seized the elder's, parting them and kissing them endlessly. "I'm here, Baekhyun." Then he lowered his head against the crook of Baekhyun's neck, tracing his pulse with his lips. It was to the sound of rushed and shallow breathing that clothes were discarded. They lay side by side like they did just this morning, but the moment felt like it happened a lifetime ago. Chanyeol trailed his fingertips down Baekhyun's face, over his neck, to his pale shoulder and lower to his chest. "Baekhyun." He whispered.

Baekhyun's breath hitched at what he saw in Chanyeol's face. It was love, pure and simple and a promise of forever. With a helpless moan, he dragged Chanyeol close and kissed him, telling him without words how important he is to Baekhyun. He was starting to believe that this would last, that no one will take Chanyeol away from him. Again.

Soon, the fire building inside them was too much to contain.  Baekhyun watched with half-lidded eyes as different emotions flicker across Chanyeol's features with every caress. Each sound, each movement, each time he hears his name on the taller boy's lips push him to the edge of reason, of joy. It wasn't practiced nor was it choreographed. It was two souls finding fulfillment. Arching himself closer to Chanyeol, he returned each touch until they both reached that peak that left them shaking, weak and spent.

"I love you." He whispered hoarsely against Chanyeol's neck.

"I love you." Chanyeol said in return, placing his lips against Baekhyun's damp forehead. It wasn't long before Baekhyun closed his eyes in slumber, his fear conquered and forgotten.

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun's eyes fluttered open. The early morning sun slanting through the gaps of their bedroom curtains. He looked at Chanyeol breathing evenly in his sleep, their hands clasped in between them, enveloping him in warmth. His eyes traced the face he loved so much. The smooth valleys and curves ingrained in his heart and mind.

Then the tears started running down once again but this time it was different. Everything was different because it was May 7 and Chanyeol was still with him.

He is now living the future they should have lived years ago if the cruel fates hadn't torn them apart. He was with the one he loved, his soul mate. Chanyeol, who he would give up everything for.

He had no concrete memory of the angel who fell in love with the boy he had sworn to protect. He didn't fully know of events that passed. Events that if brought back would hurt them more than a thousand bleak lifetimes without each other. All he knew was that they were together and they can now start with their forever.

Thank you, he closed his eyes, a steady stream of tears spilling through. Thank you.