November - Tao and Kris

Anywhere with You is Heaven

 

 

 

"Duizhang."

Kris looked up as Tao appeared beside him. He was late getting out today. Kris has been waiting for him to finish his group project so they can come home together.

Yeah. Him. Kris. Waiting by the school gates like a love struck boy. He would have shuddered at the thought except he actually is love struck.

It's been sixteen days and he was no near to recovering from the surprise of Tao returning his kiss and telling Kris he loved him. But how could he recover when the younger boy does it every day? The I love you's and, well, the kissing, too.

"Duizhang, I'm done." Tao smiled at him.

That's another thing. By now, Kris knows what every duizhang means. A soft duizhang when Tao wakes up means Good morning. A cheerful duizhang means I've something to tell you so listen. A long droned out duizhang is a Shut up, you're stupid but I'm being patient so just listen. Fast and successive duizhanguizhangduizhang means Get your off the seat, listen to me and let's go shopping. Somehow he ends up as always the one who should listen.

But this duizhang, the one accompanied with the half-smile is Kris' favorite. Because it means, Listen, I'm happy to see you. And almost always it's accompanied by a whispered duizhang before a kiss.

But they were in public so as much as Kris wanted to act upon it, he stops himself from reaching out to Tao and just answers his smile with a cool nod. "Let's go.”

He didn't wait for a reply before he started to move away. But then he noticed that Tao wasn't walking with him so he turned back to find him still standing by the gates.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing, Duizhang." The dark haired boy answered and strode towards him. Kris waited for him to reach his side before resuming his walk. The shorter boy was a little quiet today because usually when they go home together he talks a mile a minute about his day. He stole a glance at him and was surprised to see that Tao was actually watching him back.

"What?"

The boy just shrugged which made him a little bit more uneasy. Tao was silent until they got to their dorm and the older boy can't stand the treatment so he turned to him once they got inside. "Okay. Out with it."

"Out with what?"

"You're being weird and you know it." Kris said with some exasperation.

"It's just when I saw you waiting for me I got my hopes up." Tao crossed his arms against his chest. "You have got to be the most unromantic person in the world."

"What?" Really, what?

"A nod. What kind of guy greets his boyfriend with a nod?"

"I always greet you with a nod."

"I know." He sighed.

"What?"

"Forget it, Duizhang." The boy turned away.

Now Kris hasn't heard this duizhang before. Was it disappointment?

"Hey." He caught the younger boy's arm and placed his other hand on Tao's chin so he can turn him back to face Kris. "Tell me."

"It's just... I'm glad that we got back to normal. You're letting me follow you around and going shopping with me again but... I was kind of expecting more."

Kris was at a loss. He thought he was doing alright. He told Tao before they even started that he doesn't know how to go about this. Obviously, he was making a poor job of it.

He leaned down to place a kiss on the younger boy's forehead but his lips trailed further down the line of Tao's nose until he reached the tip. "Isn't this more?"

Tao's eyes fluttered open, having closed at the start of the contact. "Not even close."

Kris took that as a challenge so he leaned closer and stopped only when his lips were barely a hair's breadth away from Tao's. "More?"

The shorter boy nodded.

"Okay, I'll give you more." Kris whispered.

"Really?" He was surprised at the cheerful tone of the boy's reply. Much too happy than the situation warranted.

"Uh, yeah?" His lips were still hovering close over Tao's but the dark haired boy stepped back and smiled brightly at him.

"Let's go on a date then." He looked up at Kris eagerly.

"A date?" He asked dumbfounded.

"Yes, a real one. No malls." Tao said with a smile.

"Then where?"

"You have to think of that to make up for your being unromantic."

"What?" He asked again. Kris couldn't help it. His brain couldn't get past the word date.

"Duizhang," Yes, it was the long droned out one. "Haven't you been on one before?"

"I haven't." Kris answered. Tao looked at him dubiously but he was telling the truth. He had no time for dates or falling in love, well except after he met Tao. He was a goner when Tao cried about his 'ruined' face.

"Oh. But still."

"Fine. A date. Fine." Kris almost said to himself. He was as confused as hell but if Tao wants it then, "Fine."

"I heard you the first time Duizhang." The boy had the audacity to laugh at him!

But Tao moved close and chose that moment to cup his face and kiss him softly on the mouth and Kris totally forgot that he was supposed to be getting annoyed.

Later that evening, Kris was bent over his laptop while Tao was sleeping soundly on the bed across from his. Dating needs research and he'll do it even if it takes all night. He'll not be called unromantic again. Though he had to know the meaning of the word first. Damn.

 

 

 

Tao was sure he was having a good dream before he was nudged awake. "Zitao."

"It's Tao." He mumbled burrowing his face further into the pillow. It was Saturday he wasn't supposed to be up until noon.

"Tao." Another nudge. "Wake up."

"I don't want to." He muttered and tried to dislodge the hand shaking his shoulder.

"We can have that date or we can spend today together in bed, your choice." Kris whispered into his ear causing Tao to immediately open his eyes and sit up. Duizhang laughed at his shocked expression. "Now you're awake."

He wanted to smack Kris with a pillow but then the older guy leaned down and gave him a kiss on his forehead. "Good morning."

It hit Tao all at once. First, he realized it was just eight in the morning on a weekend but Kris was already up and dressed for a day outside. Second, he can already smell the scent of burnt toast from the kitchen and third, did Kris say something about a date?

"We're going on a date?"

"Yeah, you told me that's what you wanted right? This will take all day so let's go." The older guy pulled him up from the bed and stepped behind him so he could push Tao out the door.

"But-" He was cutoff as Kris closed the door to the bathroom with him inside. Tao already made plans to meet with his gege this afternoon.

"Hurry up." He heard the taller boy say.

He showered and quickly dressed before he dialed his brother's number.

"Hey." Baekhyun answered on the second ring.  "I was actually about to call you. About this afternoon-"

"I can't go gege. Sorry, I have... something important to do. Can we just meet tomorrow?" He asked.

"Oh." There was a pause. "Okay."

"Sorry." Tao said a little guiltily. "But if you already have plans tomorrow-"

"I don't. Don't worry. I'll just see you then." Baekhyun said. The phone call didn’t last long but Tao felt a little guiltier after..

He still haven't told his brother about him and Kris because no matter how close they are Baekhyun is still his gege and he is older and he's... oh, okay, he's shy. He doesn't know how to talk to his brother about this love matters.

"Tao, come on!" Kris called from the kitchen. He told himself this is what he wanted and Kris looked determined enough but he had a feeling that this date would be a disaster.

 

 

It was not a disaster actually. It was just so... ordinary.

But Tao knew he couldn't really complain. This is what he wanted. He repeated for the hundredth time that day. To be fair Kris did everything one can do for a perfect date. They ate out, watched a movie and are now walking on a park before they go home. Kris had been solicitous, always inquiring about his comfort and about what he wants. But he felt everything they did was by the number. It's like Duizhang was following a set of rules and he was careful not to break any.

There was something missing and Tao couldn't really tell what it was.

"Ready to go home?" The blonde boy asked.

"Yeah." He said. They were turning towards the pathway back when Tao saw a familiar figure walking their way. A short familiar figure with a troll on the side. "Baekhyun-ge?"

"What?" He heard Kris ask beside him.

"It's my brother and his dorm mate." The dorm mate who was holding his gege's hand.

"Zitao!" Baekhyun looked flustered.

As well he should be, Tao thought. He looked pointedly at his gege's hand being held by Chanyeol the troll.

"Hey, Tao!" Chanyeol said as he looked from him to Kris and back, still holding his brother's hand.

"Gege," was all he said to Baekhyun while he just nodded at Chanyeol.

"Aren't you going to introduce us to your friend?" His brother asked obviously trying to shift his attention from them. And it worked. He almost forgot about Kris and then he realized he shouldn't be so fast in disapproving of the couple in front of him.

"Oh, yeah. Uh, this is Duizhang... I mean Kris Wu." He then looked at Kris. "Duizhang, this is Baekhyun-ge, my older brother and this tro... I mean, this here is Chanyeol his, uh, friend."

"It's nice to finally meet you! Zitao always talks about you. You sure are tall, no wonder he always-" But he was cut short as Tao suddenly spoke. "Ge, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Oh, okay. Excuse us." Tao saw his brother smile at Chanyeol and squeeze the taller boy's hand before he let go and walked with him a few paces away from the other two.

"What is with the holding hands and the smile?" He asked immediately once they were out of ear-shot.

"I wanted to tell you. Chanyeol and I... He and me..."

"He's your boyfriend." Tao said dryly.

"Well, yes." And then he saw his brother smile and he has never seen Baekhyun-ge this way before. He looks so... in love.

"What did he ever do to convince you?" He threw a glance at Chanyeol who was talking animatedly with Kris, as if they've known each other for a while now.

"He's a great guy, Zitao." Baekhyun said. "He makes me really happy."

And Tao can see it in his brother's eyes so as much as he wanted to protest and tell him that he had no taste, he didn't.

"Alright. But one wrong move from him and he'll definitely meet his end so fast-"

"You brat." Baekhyun said affectionately. "There'll be no need for that. He's really wonderful. And he takes care of me very well, just like you do."

"Okay, okay. No need to cry on me." He said, affecting indifference.

"What are you doing here anyway? I thought you had something important to do." His brother asked innocently, a little too innocently for Tao's liking.

It was Baekhyun's turn to look at Kris. "You're friend, he is gorgeous and even taller than Chanyeol."

Tao couldn't control the blush creeping on his face. "Gege."

"Is he the important something that made you cancel with me?" Baekhyun asked with a mock frown.

He glared at his brother's teasing. "Gege, stop it."

"Okay. When you're ready to talk just tell me." His brother patted his shoulder. "We'll see each other tomorrow anyway. More time to beat the story out of you." Baekhyun laughed and went on to walk towards Kris and Chanyeol.

Tao shot his brother a dark look as he followed him but it cleared as soon as he saw Baekhyun hold the troll's hand again. Chanyeol smiled down at his gege. He had to admit, even reluctantly, that the two looked like they were made for each other.

They said their goodbyes and separated ways. Tao couldn't help but look back at the couple as they were walking away because he finally found out what was missing from his and Kris' date. It was so obvious. The troll was so in love with Baekhyun-ge. But Tao wasn't so sure anymore that Kris was in love with him.

 

 

Kris was certain that he did everything that was on the dating tips list he found last night but why did everything still feel wrong? Tao was barely speaking all day and became even quieter after they met his brother at the park.

He doesn't know what else to do. It seemed he disappointed Tao more today. He watched as the shorter boy looked around the people who were also walking in the park, watched him look at everyone but him.

"Tao." He said quietly.

The younger boy glanced at him before looking away again but not before he saw his troubled eyes.

"I feel as if you don't want to be with me anymore." Kris felt a certain pang in his heart as he said the words. What if it's true?

"That's ridiculous, Duizhang." Tao replied but he was still not looking at Kris.

"But you're disappointed. Don't tell me you're not."

"Yes. I am." He can hear the hesitation in the younger's voice and although it hurts to hear it out loud, he wants to know what Tao really feels.

"Tell me why."

"It's because... Around us... Everywhere I look..." Tao finally met his eyes. "I saw how Chanyeol looked at my gege. I saw how they held hands. I saw how his eyes followed Baekhyun-ge when we stepped away. I saw... I saw how he loved him." He paused to look down again. "But with you, I can't see it. And it gets me anxious and unsure."

"How can you see when you don't even look at me?" Kris said as he tipped Tao's face upward. "You get anxious? Don’t you know I get nervous, too? I'm always nervous when I’m with you."

"You talk of how Chanyeol looks at your brother and how they hold hands. I'm not like that, I don’t know if I'll ever be like that. But this is me and I do love you, okay?" Kris can feel his throat closing up. This is the hardest thing he's ever done. He has to do it right this time because he doesn't want to let go of Tao.

"So if I don’t hold your hand or even if I don't show it too often don't ever doubt how I feel. I've never had this before so I don't really know what to do most of the time. But I am trying and you have to know that I want to make you happy. So yeah, you can hit me anytime you want if I'm being a clueless jerk or if I'm being an insensitive prick, just don't tell me that I don't love you because I really do."

Kris moved to close the distance between them that seemed so big. "Believe me."

He was startled when Tao burst into a short laugh.

"Duizhang, you needn't really worry so much. I just wanted to hear you say that you love me. I was convinced the first time you did."

But Kris can feel that although the younger boy made light of it, Tao was relieved. So he decided to say it every time. He shouldn’t be so timid, it’s the truth anyway. "I love you."

"Yeah, yeah." Tao said dismissively but then he leaned close to Kris and put his arms around the taller boy's waist. "I love you, Duizhang."

They were outside and Kris can see some people looking at them. He was supposed to pull away, they were in public. But he looked down at his boyfriend and kissed the top of his head instead. This wasn't so bad at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Chanyeol's birthday is up next and after that four chaps to go..T_T

Will be updating again maybe tomorrow or the next day, just finishing chap 13..OTL

PS: Thanks for reading Umbrellas and Walls! I'm keeping it as a drabble right now.. sorry guys. (cause I was insulted for it..OTL)

Thanks again for still staying with me.:)))