Because

My Next-Door Idiot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mom I’m sick I can’t go to school!” I moaned, burying my head into the pillow.

“Yeah, right. Get your lazy out of bed this instant!” She shouted, ripping the covers off of me.

“Nooooo.” I whined, feeling extremely vulnerable without my blanket. She exited my room with a few last threatening words and I sighed. I lazily got onto my feet, feeling half-dead.

I barely had any sleep last night since I was bombarded by thoughts and confusion and replaying moments from... ‘That’. Just thinking about it now makes my sore brain spin in tired circles.

I got dressed and left the house, completely forgetting about having to see Kris in the morning until I saw him leave his house. I jumped a little and I started fast-walking up the sidewalk, trying to create a suitable gap between us.

It was extremely tempting to turn around and steal a quick glance at Kris. Even though I was thinking about the dance with him for pretty much the whole night, it was all for nothing because I kinda forgot all the details of what happened. I just remembered how it felt in his arms and how my heart was thumping like crazy when he leaned in and almost—

My cheeks started feeling that familiar heat and I snapped back into reality. That was when I then realized that I stopped fast-walking a long time ago and Kris’s presence was lingering closely behind me.

I tensed up at the thought and quickened my pace once again. It took every drop of strength in my body not to turn around and look at him, but I felt his presence effortlessly sticking behind me no matter how fast I was walking.

I finally caved in and turned around, regretting it instantly. I completely froze as I met his eyes, flashbacks from last night came at me a thousand times clearer than when I was retracing back in my room. I couldn’t move my feet, but Kris continued stepping closer to me and I felt like all my internal organs failed me.

No, no, no, nooooo! Move you stupid Jihae!

Kris looked at me with unreadable eyes as he took his final step in front of me. My body finally regained its’ strength and I sprinted the opposite way.

I didn’t falter at my pace until I entered the school, but even then I was still speeding into my first period class. Might’ve been a little unnecessary but it’s better to be safe and sorry, since being near Kris is definitely a sorry move as of now.

I met eyes with Luhan as I started walking towards my seat and I automatically waved. It’s good to see a face that isn’t Kris’s.

But he didn’t wave back or even crack a smile and I just looked at him queerly as I took my seat behind him.

Hmm, I wonder what’s up.

I tapped him on the shoulder because I really wanted to talk to someone to get Kris of my mind, but when he turned around I suddenly remembered.

“Uh…” Was all I could muster as I stared at him wide-eyed, not really sure what to do.

And then as if the gods had finally put all my good karma to use, the bell rang and the teacher called for attention.

Luhan turned back around and I exhaled the breath I was holding in.

I completely forgot Luhan confessed to me yesterday before Key’s setup! Oh god, is this really happening? How am I supposed to think straight at all?!

 

The next few days were absolutely torturous and unprogressive.

I feel like I’m living in a new world, and I have no idea what is going on in it. Luhan and Kris aren’t talking to me at all, which I should actually be grateful for, and I haven’t been able to think straight for a second.

When I came home today, I recited my usual routine of sprawling my homework over my bed while not doing any of it because my mind won’t focus.

It also became a habit to take an occasional peek at the window, trying to steal a glimpse of Kris. But for some reason, the Kris who’s usually always locked in his room wasn’t ever in his room.

My thoughts questioning where he could possibly run off to were interrupted with a knock on the door. I sat up, a bit startled since no one ever knocks on doors in this household.

“Come in.” I said, but the knocking only continued. “It’s unlocked.”

I groaned and got off my bed, feeling a headache coming on from the violent knocking. “What do you want?!”

I swung the door open and saw Kris casually standing on the other side, and I quickly slammed it back shut.

What! Why now?!

He continued knocking and I closed my eyes, feeling unprepared.

I knew we had to talk about that almost-kiss sooner or later, but I was just hoping it would be later. I… I don’t know how I feel about it. But I guess the sooner I get it over with the sooner I can figure out the Luhan thing, right?

I took a breath and opened the door. “Look, I don’t remember exactly what happened that night since the details are kind of blurry. So, I have no idea what came over me when I closed my eyes and let you lean in like that. And now I just want to know what you were thinking. Why… Why were you trying to kiss me?”

I looked at him, anxiously waiting for an answer but Kris just stared back at me for a long silent moment. I nervously fiddled with the side of the door until he finally responded, “What are you talking about?”

“The… dance… thing… You were about to kiss me.” I said slowly, feeling confused.

“I wasn’t going to kiss you…” Kris said just as slow, staring at me oddly.

And then I slammed the door shut again.

“What kind of drink do you like?” I heard him shout through the door.

 

I hate Kris! I hate him! And I hate myself for thinking that I could ever think differently, or that he could ever not hate me back. Of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter