The Key to the Perfect Moment

My Next-Door Idiot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

J i h a e

After cancelling our plans over and over again I finally was able to invite Luhan out to talk, but he hasn’t mentioned anything serious yet. Therefore, we’ve spent the whole day just goofing around the streets and having fun. We went to a casual café for dinner and sat at a table near the window, and I stared at the sky getting darker.

I was feeling a bit impatient. It was weeks ago when he said he needed to tell me something, and now when I finally get a full day with him he’s not saying a word.

“Luhan, uh, are you going to tell me what you needed to say?” I queried.

“Oh,” Luhan glanced at me over the menu and then quickly looked back at it. “It’s not really something I can just tell you.”

I bit my cheek from frustration. I feel like I should be heading home soon, with it being Key’s last day in Seoul and all.

“Okay, well uh… it’s kind of weird for me to say on the spot.” Luhan began, putting the menu down on the table. He kept his gaze on it, fidgeting with the edges. “But uhm, I’m really glad we became closer this year.”

“I’m glad too.” I twittered, giving him a sincere smile.

“But that’s not what I wanted to tell you.” Luhan met my eyes, but then quickly went back to his menu. “Jihae, I li… I have, uh, I ha—“

At that very moment my cell phone rang, interrupting Luhan’s stuttering.

“Sorry, I’ll reject it.” I muttered, taking the phone from my pocket.

“No it’s fine, answer it.” Luhan swallowed, leaning back in his seat.

“Thanks, it’ll only take a second.” I told him, noticing that it was Mrs. Wu who was calling.

“Hello? Jihae?” I heard through the other line.

“Yes, Mrs. Wu?” I said.

“Where are you? Key said he wants to help you get ready for tonight!” Mrs. Wu said. I took in a large breath of air, feeling like something awful but awfully expected coming my way.

“What’s going on tonight?” I asked through the line, causing Luhan look at me with slightly widened eyes.

“It’s the Kims’ last day before they drive back to Daegu so we’re going out for dinner! I thought you knew.” She said.

I sighed, because deep down I did know this was going to happen. “Do you need me now?”

Luhan stood up from his seat, and Mrs. Wu said a few words about making sure I looked extra nice for the dinner before we hung up.

I put my phone back in my pocket as I stood up. “Hey, I’m sorry but I’m going to have to leave early. But since it’s something hard for you to say we can just meet up la—“

“I like you, Jihae.” He confessed. I completely froze trying to step out from the table. My head slowly turned to him and he looked completely serious.

“Uh, I’m sorry did you just say…” My voice trailed off from sheer disbelief. No, I must have misheard him. Why… Why would Luhan like me? I’ve always thought he only looked at me as a little sister.

“I have feelings for you, and I was wondering if you could return them.” He said confidently, pretty much knocking me a thousand miles off my feet.

“I…” like you too Luhan! Come on Jihae, say it! You’ve been waiting for this day for almost two years, why is it so hard?

“I… uh…” I can’t do it. The rest of the sentence just won’t come out.

“Ahh, sorry that was a bit abrupt.” Luhan nervously looked away. “I shouldn’t have told you while you were about to leave.”

I cracked a small smile to try to be friendly, since I couldn’t find anything to say with words.

“Sorry, it’s kind of pressuring when I tell you like this. Just give me an answer before the week ends.” Luhan said. I nodded and gave him a quick bow before running out the door.

Luhan… Just confessed to me. I don’t think I’ll be able to think about anything else at all tonight.

 

“Yes! That dress is perfect. Of course I have great taste in fashion.” Key declared as I took a step into my room. He was resting on my bed wearing a button up shirt and making me try out the dress he picked out for me from shopping earlier.

“Key, it’s so nice of you to buy this dress. I love it.” I said, spinning around while holding the bottom. It was a plain, black hi-low dress that was short in the front but gradually grew longer in the back with sewn-in folds to look natural.

“I'm glad you like it. Your birthday is coming up right? Think of it as my gift to you.” He said, looking pleased at his selection. I sat down in front of the mirror and curled my hair with the curler Key took from Kris’s house while we just talked casually, catching up for the missing six year blank.

“Hey… Do you think you could give me some advice?” I asked him.

“Of course!” Key chimed.

“Well, remember when I told you about that boy I liked?” I said.

“Yeah…” Key glanced back and forth from the reflection of himself to reflection of mine.

“He confessed to me today.” I told him, the words feeling weird coming out of my mouth.

“Did you tell him you liked him back?” Key asked.

“Well… no.”

“Why not? You li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter