Competitive Camping

My Next-Door Idiot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I can’t believe we have to spend a whole weekend here!” I cried out in misery as my family and I stepped out of our car.

“Ohh hush. It’ll be fun!” My dad said, patting me on the back.

“Fun? How are we supposed to have fun when we’re struggling for survival in the middle of nowhere?!” I whined.

“Honey, it’s a local campsite half an hour outside of Seoul.” My mom said.

“With no cell phone service!” I whined.

“Who needs phones when you have your family?” My dad chimed happily.

“And me.” I heard Kris say deviously into my ear. I angrily punched him the gut in response, causing him to shrill in pain.

“C’mon guys! Let’s start off our adventure by hiking to our reserved camping area!” Mrs. Wu chimed.

“Sounds great.” Mr. Wu smiled.

“Ooh, I just thought of something. What if we made it a race?” My mom pitched.

“You mean who can make it to the lake first?” Mrs. Wu asked.

“Exactly. My family against yours.  It’ll be a blast!” Mom put her hands on her hips.

“Okay! That sounds fun! And the losing team has to do a punishment. Like... Eat a bug.” Mr. Wu rubbed his hands together menacingly.

“...Or they could set up the tents!” Mrs. Wu piped.

“That works too.” Mr. Wu smiled at his wife. “So it’s plan! The Wu family vs. the Kwon family.”

“Actually... How about we split into 3 groups? That way Kris and Jihae can be together.” My mom suggested.

“YEAH! That’ll have the children bond!” Mrs. Wu pumped her fist in the air.

“YEAH! Because we were definitely going to lose with the terribly unskilled athlete that is Jihae...” My mom muttered to my dad.

“Hey! I can hear you!” I said.

“Well sorry honey but we all know it’s true.” She smiled happily. I can’t believe she’s saying that! Well it’s true... but I can’t believe she’s saying that!

“KRIS!” I abruptly turned around to face him. “We have to win! No matter what, okay?”

“Yeah yeah whatev-“

“NO! WE HAVE TO WIN! NO MATTER WHAT!” I looked at him sternly.

“Okay, okay!” Kris put his arms in the air defensively. “We’ll win for sure.”

“YOU GUYS ARE GOING DOWN!” I shouted enthusiastically, pointing at the adults.

 

“Kris...Wait...wait for... me... Kris...!” I gasped for air, dragging myself up the elevation in the woods trying to catch up to my teammate.

“Weren’t you just pumped up and motivated five minutes ago?” Kris stopped walking and turned around to face me.

“Yeah but... that... that was five minutes ago...” I panted, leaning my hands on my knees.

“What are we going to do with you?” Kris rolled his eyes.

“I...I’m...Sorry....” I started breathing heavier. “I’m trying...Really...Hard...”

I stayed like that, continuing to try to regain my energy when I felt like Kris was staring at me. I looked up and proved myself correct. His eyes were locked on me with an unreadable expression.

“What?” I asked, standing straight up.

“Do you want me to carry you?” He asked quietly. I looked at him in shock, waiting for the witty punch line or burst of laughter, but he just stood there. It almost kind of seemed like he was actually being... serious.

I shivered at the thought.

“No, I’ll be fine... Just give me a moment...” My breath was about to go back to normal and I leaned against a tree to rest my legs.

“Both of our parents are probably far ahead of us. You want to win, don’t you?” Kris asked, leaning down and positioning his back for me.

Well, he does have a point. If I really want to beat my parents, I’ll need to work together with Kris.

I tentatively climbed over him, linking my arms around his neck as he secured my legs.

“Comfortable?” He asked, turning his head to face me. Comfortable? How on earth could I ever be comfortable when I’m riding on the back of my worst enemy?!

“Yeah.” I swallowed. He went back to looking straight ahead and started walking in a quicker pace. Neither of us said a word for the longest time and were both choking in the awkwardness. The hill was getting steeper and I started feeling bad for Kris. It must be really hard to face elevation with another weight over your shoulders.

“Hey, are you okay? I can walk now.” I told him.

“No it’s fine.” Kris replied.

“But I can walk now! I’m not even that tired anymore.” I insisted.

“I told you it’s fine!” Kris shouted. I was starting to get frustrated.

“LET ME DOWN!” I yelled while lightly punching his shoulder with one fist.

“Hey! Watch it!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter