The Season of Love Sickness and Sickness

My Next-Door Idiot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I used every last ounce of concentration as I carefully lined my eyes in brown pencil. I evaluated my work in the mirror once I finished. I’m ready to meet Luhan at the park! I rushed down the stairs and made it two thirds across the living room until my mom stopped me.

“Jihae! Good, you’re all dressed up. Kris is sick today and I need you to take care of him.” She said, grabbing her coat in the closet.

“What?! No I can’t today, I’m busy.” I said.

“Well the Wus asked me to take care of him while they’re at work but I have a last minute meeting. You’re the only one at home so I’m leaving the responsibility to you. Mrs. Wu said she left a note on the counter.” Mom put on her shoes.

“But I can’t! I’m meeting up with someone who has to tell me something important!” I whined.

“Well he can tell you something important later. Jihae, you’re taking care of Kris today and that’s an order.” My mom gave me a look before leaving the house.

“Ugghh this is just GREAT.” I grumpily kicked the air. I took out my phone and dialed Luhan’s number.

“Helllooo?” Luhan chirped happily.

“Hey Luhan. I can’t make it to the park today.” I sighed.

“Oh... I see. That’s fine then.”

“I’m so sorry. Kris is sick and I have to watch over him. I hope you’ll understand.”

“No I understand. Make sure you take good care of Duizhang!” Luhan said.

“Alright. Thanks Luhan!” I said before we hung up. I exited my house and crossed the lawns into Kris’s house. I found the note my mom mentioned lying right where she said it would be. It read:

Kris needs to rest. Make sure he doesn’t get out of bed unless necessary. Bring him whatever he needs. Chicken soup is on the stove in case Kris gets hungry. Cough syrup bottle in the top cabinet on the right. Use the small medicine cup in the silverware drawer. Make sure to give a glass of water with the syrup, and it might take some effort to make Kris drink it. Persuade him with bribes or sweet talk him. Avoid using force and threats.

Okay, this sounds simple enough. I’ll just bring him whatever he needs and give him some medicine. This should be easy.

I grabbed the thermometer lying next to the note and went upstairs. Once I opened the door I saw Kris crumpled over his bed.

“Ugh finally you’re here. I’m starv...“ Kris sat up with his eyebrows furrowed until he met my eyes. He paused for a moment.

“Oh hell no. Get out of my room. Where’s my mom?” Kris asked.

“She has work so now I have to sacrifice my Saturday to take care of you.” I approached closer to him. “Aren’t I a great neighbor?”

“There is no way you’re taking care of me. No way. I refuse to have you help me in any way.” Kris turned to the other side and pulled the covers over his head.

“Fine, whatever. I’ll just wait here. There’s nothing better for me to do anyways since you already ruined my plans.” I took a seat on the floor next to Kris’s bed, patiently staring at his back. We stayed like that for what seemed like forever until I heard a loud grumble break the silence.

“Are you hungry?” I asked him.

“No.”

“Okay then.” I said, playing with the thermometer in my hands. The grumbling came back again except louder and longer.

“Can you bring me something to eat please...” Kris mumbled. I smiled and went downstairs to fetch him some. I grabbed the cough syrup in the cabinet and the small measuring cup like it said on the list, along with a glass of water.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter