My Unending Curse

My Next-Door Idiot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  J i h a e 

{Prologue}

Age 6

I hugged my knees, trying to be as invisible as I could under the table. I swear Kris is going to kill me when he finds his—

“JIHAEEEEE. WHERE ARE YOUU?!”

Crap.

“Kris what’s wrong?” I heard my mom ask.

“Mrs. Kwon, have you seen your daughter?” Kris questioned politely.

“I think I saw her hiding somewhere under the table.” Ratted out by my own mother. I tried to make a run for it but I felt something pulling my leg.

“LET GO YOU MONSTER!!” I screamed as Kris started dragging me towards him. I tried grabbing the legs of the chairs to preserve my life but Kris would just yank me harder.

“Well look who we have here.” Kris said menacingly, holding me upside down from my foot.

“LET GOOO!!!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. I attempted kicking him in the face and succeeded, crashing onto the ground. I tried getting up but he pinned my arms to the floor and sat on top of me so I couldn’t escape.

“Yahh.. Do you know what this is?!” Kris waved over my face one of his toy cars. It was the one that I painted all over in pink and drowned with glitter and jewels.

“It looks way better than whatever it used to be.” I smiled.

“This was my favorite edition. Now you’re going to have to pay.” Kris said.

“Oh please, what’s the worst you could do?” I bluffed. Kris stared at me for a moment before he started tickling my sides.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA KRIS GET OFF ME.” I tried to push him off but I was too weak from the lack of oxygen in my lungs.

“You’re way too ticklish to bluff.” Kris smirked, enjoying my weakness at stake.

Age 7

I was making a card for my friend when I heard something hit my window. I knew it was Kris so I ignored it.

Until I heard it hit my window again. And again. And again. And-

THUMP!

I slammed my crayon on my desk and walked to my window, opening it.

“ARE YOU TRYING TO BREAK THE GLASS?!” I yelled.

“Me and my mom got in a fight and I locked myself in my room. I’m hungry but I can’t go downstairs.” Kris said, leaning on the railing of his window.

“So? What do you want me to do about it?” I said.

“Be the good girl you are and get me some food!” Kris shot back.

“No! Why should I??” I said. I saw Kris’s eyes wander hungrily behind me. I turned around and found a bag of chips lying on my desk. I grabbed it and turned back to face the window.

“Oh, something like this?” I stuck the bag partially out the window.

“Yes! That’s perfect! Throw it over here.” Kris reached his hands out.

“I don’t know.. I’m kind of hungry too..” I said.

“Oh you’re funny. Give it.” Kris leaned out his window.

“Mann... These are good.” I teasingly munched on a few chips.

“YAH! Hand it over!” Kris in his breath through his teeth.

“Why don’t you come over and get it?” I said, chuckling at his misery. I looked into my bag to get another chip and the next thing I know I’m smacked to the ground by something heavy. I open my eyes to see Kris on top of me, waving the bag of chips over me.

“Thanks for the invitation.” Kris smirked, standing up. He crouched onto my window ledge and successfully jumped back into his room.

Ughh. He wins this time.

Age 9

“I hate basketball. So. Much.” I said, watching the ball hit the backboard and bounce back onto the court.

“Me too. Here, come with me.” My best friend, Nayoung, grabbed my arm and ran to another basketball hoop where a few boys were playing.

“Why are we here? We’ll get in trouble if the p.e teachers catch us!” I whined.

“It’s worth it to watch them.” Nayoung said dreamily.

“Why would we watch a bunch of sweaty boys?” I questioned.

“Oh Jihae, so young and naïve.” Nayoung ruffled my hair. I rolled my eyes. Nayoung was always such a flirt. We’re only in 3rd grade; she needs to get her priorities straight.

I was about to respond to her until I saw Kris walking towards us. Ew, we were watching him?

“Oh my gosh! It’s Kris! Don’t say anything to embarrass me.” Nayoung whispered.

“Enjoying the show?” Kris crossed his arms and raised his eyebrow at me.

“Whatever. No one wants to watch you throw a basketball around.” I scoffed.

“Really? Because I see two girls at our court. Oh, and you’re one of them.” He snickered.

“Hi Kris.” Nayoung chimed in.

“Oh hi, you’re Jihae’s friend right?” Kris said. Nayoung shot me a glance.

“Yeah, I thought you were pretty good out there.” Nayoung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter