Four.

The Pretty Barista

 

Taemin laughed. "Hyung! I told you it was hot. They just fried that." He told one of his companions. By the looks of it, he was with 2 other guys. The one who burned his tongue had long hair and small eyes, while the other guy standing beside Taemin was really tall and had big eyes.

"Luhan hyung! Try the one with the seaweed!" Sehun exclaimed excitedly.

"Oh?" That got Taemin's attention then he looked our way. "Hey!" He recognizes Sehun.

"Hey! You were the one working at Dream Tea." Luhan says to Taemin when he noticed Sehun.

Taemin laughs, "Yeah." And then he faces me. "Hey Kai." He greets with a smile.

I flash him a friendly smile back. "Hi."

He looks at his companions, "They were at the cafe earlier." He tells them and they smile at the information. "I'm Taemin, by the way." He introduces himself to my friends. "And these are my friends, Onew hyung and Minho hyung." He tells us.

"I'm Luhan, that's Baekhyun and Lay and you already know Kai and Sehun."

Taemin smiles and nods. "Mhmm," He looks at his friends again, "Those two are always at Dream Tea…"

"You know, you're making me feel guilty that I haven't even once visited your work place." The one who burned his tongue, Onew, said.

"Hey, it isn't on purpose." Taemin shrugs as he picks a plain hotdog from the stall.

"Weren't you just in the other side of town?" Baekhyun asks.

Taemin looks at him. "Yeah… my shift ended at 10." He answers with a smile.

The atmosphere gets quiet as everyone around the stall either took a bite from their hotdog or picked another snack from the stall.

"Jongin, what are you getting?" Lay nudges me again.

I blink. I realized I haven't ordered yet. "Ah. Umm…" I reach out to grab three sticks of the french fry hotdog. "Ajumma, how much for these?" I ask the lady behind the stall. It cost me 5000 won and I paid her. I had it placed in a plastic bag cause I wanted to eat it as we walked around.

"Oh, was the pie not enough for you?" Taemin comments with a mischievous grin. The heads of my friends turned back and forth from me and Dream Tea's pretty barista.

I chuckle awkwardly, "It's not that. We, uh, came from the noraebang and we all got hungry, so… yeah…"

"What brings you to the streets of Myeongdong?" Luhan casually asks.

"Oh, you know, just wanted to stay out of the house… eat some cheap food." Taemin shares with a smile. Another bout of silence washes over us and then, Minho, the tall guy beside Taemin tells him something which was inaudible to me. Taemin nodded, "Okay. Let's go." I hear him say.

He looks towards us. "So, we'll go ahead. We're meeting up with a few more friends." Taemin tells us with a smile.

"It was nice meeting you." Lay says politely to Taemin and his friends.

"Same." Onew flashes a smile. Minho smiles at us too.

"I guess I'll see you guys at the cafe?"

"You can count on it." Luhan grins, shooting me a knowing look. Okay. What was that for?

Taemin waves. "Bye." He looks at my friends, "Bye Kai!"

"Bye…" I wave back.

And then Taemin turned around and off he went with his friends.

Baekhyun immediately shoots me a look, squinting his already small eyes. "You're like, his favorite customer!"

Luhan snorts, "Customer? Tch. More like favorite person."

"What the hell are you guys talking about?" I groan.

"Why aren't you two friends yet?" Luhan asks me.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"I mean… how come you two don't just hang out already?" Luhan says bluntly.

I decided to ignore his question by taking a bite from my hotdog.

"Is that why you always go back to Dream Tea, Jongin? So you can talk to Taemin?" Sehun asks.

I choke on my food. "No!" I cough.

Baekhyun shakes his head, "How are you two so comfortable and awkward at the same time?" He wonders.

"Is there something going on?" Luhan pries.

Like hell there's something going on! I barely even know the guy. And how come the sudden interest in my personal matters? It's not like it was important anyway. I mean sure, I found Taemin quite interesting but that was it. Yeah, it would be nice to get to know him a little better, but who needs to know?

"What could possible be going on?" I said annoyed. "We're just acquaintances. He'd be talking to Sehun like that too if they conversed over the counter." I defended.

"That's just it… how come he doesn't converse with Sehun like that?" Luhan starts. Then he turns to Sehun, "Has he tried making small talk with you?"

Sehun shrugs, "Yeah… kind of. I mean, after like our 4th or 5th visit to Dream Tea."

"I wonder what it is about Kai…"

I groan in frustration. This was getting ridiculous. They were making a big deal out of nothing. "Guys, can we just drop it? I mean, it's nothing. Sure on some level, I guess Taemin and I friends. Can we just leave it that?"

"Okay, Jongin… if you say so. I was just curious." Luhan says.

Baekhyun and Sehun were eating their hotdogs. Lay was picking out more sticks to bring home.

With a mouth full of food, Baekhyun spoke up. "Yeah, just think of it like that. Kai and Taemin are friends. It diminishes the curiosity."

Luhan just shrugs and takes the last bite from his stick. The topic wasn't brought up that night again.

 

After stuffing ourselves contentedly with all the street food, we walked around Myeongdong to kill time. It was nearing midnight but no one was really in the mood to go home.

"I missed cheap food." I said out of the blue.

The guys laughed, but I ended up laughing along with them.

"If we're not at a fast food joint, we're at a restaurant or a cafe…" Baekhyun says. "Today was fun."

"We should all go out for like a street food adventure again." Lay suggests.

"All of us." I say. "With Chanyeol and Kyungsoo and Suho hyung."

"Just roaming around the streets eating street food the whole day!" Luhan exclaims.

Sehun and Lay nod. "It should be from the afternoon to the evening." Sehun says.

And then all the plans and ideas started piling up after that. Some time, near the end of the month, all of us are going to go out one day and have some street food expedition of sorts. Wandering the streets of Seoul with my friends. Sounds like a great day. I was already looking forward to it. The bus ride home consisted of continuous planning for our street food outing.

Finally we got to our stop and exited the bus. We didn't live that far from each other, so we began our walk home. Since Sehun, Lay and I live in a different neighborhood from Luhan and Baekhyun, we parted ways not long after.

"Next time you go to Dream Tea, tell us." Luhan laughs after bidding us farewell, and he and Baekhyun took off.

Lay's house is on the other side of the street from mine and Sehun's residences so we dropped him off at his place first, and then Sehun and I made our way home.

 

Our walk home was quiet, until Sehun decides to break the silence.

"Well… today was… interesting." He says.

"It was fun." I say casually.

"We should invite them more often." Sehun suggests.

"Except on Tuesdays and Thursdays where it's just me and my best bud!" I tell him teasingly, slinging an arm over his shoulder and gripping it.

Sehun laughs, and does the same thing to me.

"Tch. Brother from another mother." He comments.

Sehun really is my brother from another mother. Our families have been neighbors since before the both of us were born, and to the pleasure of our mothers, the two of us just got along really well.

"Oh! By the way… my mom is in an experimenting mood, so there's going to be a lot of the food in the house tomorrow… so please come by." He tells me, as we were nearing our block.

"I could just sleep over." I say, "That way, I can smell breakfast cooking!"

"Like you can't smell my mother's cooking from your house." He snorts.

"True." I laugh.

I ended up sleeping over Sehun's house that night anyway.

 


Fourth chapter is still as slow and awkward as ever! But I promise the next coming chapters will be more fun! :D I'm already thinking of ways on how the ending will be. Finally, I'll have a story that I can actually finish. Oh ho ho.

To everyone who commented saying they like my story, thank you loads! It means a lot to me you like my story, and to my new subscribers, thank you as well! :D