002

The Faller & The Catcher

Luhan flinched at the cold words and lifted his head, meeting the eyes of a boy around his age. No, he looked a bit younger. His dark brown hair was messy due to the wind, and his brown eyes were filled with emotions that Luhan couldn’t read. He was wearing a dark blue jacket with a simple shirt underneath. He was glaring at Luhan.

“.....Excuse me?”

Luhan asked, not knowing what to do or say. The boy continued glaring at him, but Luhan was immune to the angry glances people gave him. He shook his head slightly and stood up, standing in front of the angry looking boy. Luhan noticed that he was a bit shorter, but he was always lacking in that area, so it didn’t bother him.

“You were about to jump off, weren’t you?”

The question took Luhan off guard, and he blinked in surprise.

“What?”

“You were about to jump off. I saw it with my two eyes. You were closing your eyes and leaning forward.”

Luhan narrowed his eyes and huffed. Who was this boy? Why was he acting so angry?

“That’s none of your business.” Luhan snapped.

“It kinda is.” The younger boy seemed unfazed by Luhan’s sudden cold attitude.

“What are you talking about?”

“Ever since I stopped you from making the worst mistake of your life, it became my business.”

Luhan gaped at the boy’s bluntness. He didn’t know what to say. What do people usually say in this kind of situation?  In times like these, Luhan wished that he wasn’t his normal socially awkward self.

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

The younger boy sighed and ran his hand through his hair. He seemed frustrated.

“Look, life’s hard. I know. And us teenagers are extra sensitive so I know sometimes suicide seems like a good idea. But you can’t just throw away your life! Once you do, you can never get it back.”

Luhan fought back the urge to laugh. What did he know? How dare the younger boy try to teach him about life’s hardships.

“ off.” He sneered and pushed past the boy. He began walking towards the railing once again but the boy grabbed his arm, spinning Luhan around.

“You’re not going to try to jump again are you?”

“I said off!”

“Look, I don’t know what your problem is-”

This is when Luhan snapped. He growled and brought his leg up, kicking the younger boy straight in the balls. The younger boy gasped and let go, crouching down on the floor.

“Don’t you
dare try to preach me about life’s problems, whoever you are. You don’t know anything about me, so walk away when I ask you nicely.”

“That...wasn’t...so...nice...” The boy groaned. Luhan raised his knee and brought it closer to the younger boy’s face.

“You want me to do it again?”

“No!” The boy yelped and jumped up, backing away from Luhan. “No need for that.”

“Are you going to get the away from here then?”

The younger boy stood still, not replying. Luhan crossed his arms and looked at him expectantly. He blinked in surprise when the boy smiled suddenly, extending a hand in his direction.

“Ah, how stupid of me. I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Sehun. Oh Sehun. Yours?”

Luhan rolled his eyes. Was this boy bipolar? Was he crazy? Oh my gosh, was Luhan dealing with a crazy person right now?

“None of your business.”

The boy pouted and grabbed Luhan’s hand. He shook it forcefully and let go.

“You’re supposed to shake it. Like this.”

“I know what you’re supposed to do. I just don’t want to do it with you.”

“You’re mean.”

“You asked for it. Who asked you to suddenly into my life?”

“I was saving your life!”

“I wasn’t trying to jump in the first place.”

Sure you weren’t”

Sehun drawled sarcastically, earning a glare from Luhan.

“You’re annoying.” Luhan stated.

“Thanks. You are too.” Sehun retorted, a cheeky smile on his face.

Luhan sighed in defeat and walked over to the gas tank, sitting down and leaning against it. He dropped his head and stared at the ground. Sehun raised his eyebrow and walked over, sitting beside Luhan.

“You still didn’t tell me your name.”

“Didn’t I tell you to shut up?”

“No, you told me to off. Those are two different things.”

“Well then, why don’t you shut up and off?”

“I don’t want to.”

Luhan groaned and glared at the boy, only to be grinned at.

“So, are you going to tell me your name or not?”

This was one determined idiot.

“Luhan.”

“What?”

“My name is Luhan.”

“Oh. Luhan....that’s a pretty name.”

Luhan flinched. This boy, one that he had only met minutes ago, was talking to him so casually. As if he was his friend. And on top of that, Sehun had complimented him.

Luhan forgot. He didn’t know what to do when he received a compliment. It had been way too long since the last time.

“I.....um....what....”

“You okay?” The boy asked and leaned forward. Luhan frowned and pushed him away.

“Don’t come near me, idiot.”

Sehun laughed and Luhan was confused. He had just insulted him, but the boy found it funny.

Who the heck was he?

“Who are you?” Luhan whispered. But Sehun heard him. He smiled and leaned back comfortably.

“I told you. My name is Sehun.”

“No, no, I mean. Why are you here? Why did you save me? Why are you talking to me?”

Sehun looked at Luhan, clearly confused. “Well, I came here because I saw you enter, and people usually don’t come here. I was worried. There’s a rumor that a group of gangsters use this place as their meeting spot.”

“Then why did you come? Shouldn’t you have run away?” Luhan inquired.

“I can’t just leave you here.”

“You don’t know me.”

“That doesn’t matter.”

Silence filled the air and Luhan continued to stare at Sehun. This boy was different. Why was he being so friendly? Luhan didn’t deserve it.

“Why did you save me?”

“Aha! So you did try to jump off!”

“No, I’m saying why did you think I was going to jump off and save me? ”

Sehun rolled his eyes as if the answer was obvious. It wasn’t to Luhan. No one had talked to him this much for as long as he could remember. He wasn’t used to it.

“Well, everyone tries to save people trying to attempt suicide.”

“That’s not true.” Luhan whispered under his breath. Sehun looked at him in confusion, but Luhan just shook his head. “Nevermind.”

“I did what I thought was right. I couldn’t just stand there and watch someone kill himself.”

Luhan didn’t understand. He didn’t understand a thing Sehun was talking about.

“And for the last question.” Sehun continued. “I’m talking to you because you seem like a pretty cool dude. Something wrong with that?”

Luhan blinked in surprise. He was sure he heard it wrong.

“Wh-what?”

Sehun frowned and looked at him. “I said you seem like a pretty cool dude. Is something wrong?”

It felt like time froze. In only thirty minutes, Luhan had been complimented more than any other time in his life. He wasn’t insulted. Sehun didn’t call him a son of a , a crazy moron, a pathetic loser, a haunted doll, or anything else in the endless list. Sehun called him a pretty cool dude. That was new.

“So, tell me more about yourself.”

Luhan froze at the question. He couldn’t. The moment Sehun found about him, Sehun will be disgusted. Probably never want to see him again. Luhan didn’t want it to end so soon. He didn’t want the one person who talked to him like he was his friend to go away, leaving Luhan in the darkness once again.

“I-there’s not much about me.”

“That’s not true! You seem pretty interesting!”

“I’m speaking the truth. I’m actually a pretty boring guy. What about you?”

Sehun grinned and looked at the guy.

“Well, I guess I’ll go first. I’m seventeen, I go to Waegyo high and I’m a second year there, I live right down the block with my mom, my dad passed away when I was six.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

Sehun laughed. “No need for that. My best friends are Jongin and Kyungsoo, and they have a thing for each other.”

“A thing?” Luhan asked.

“Yeah. The between them is so thick sometimes I feel like I’m going to be suffocated. But they’re both such oblivious idiots they don’t know that they like each other.”

Luhan laughed. His own laugh sounded foreign to him, and the laugh sounded kind of forced. But it was a start. Maybe, just maybe, Oh Sehun could help him.

“Wow, they seem cool.”

“Ha, yeah sure. Your turn!”

Luhan turned pale and looked at the ground. “Um, well, I’m eighteen, I go to SM high and I’m a third year there, I live about 2 blocks from here with my parents.”

“And your friends?”

Luhan gulped.

“Um..I don’t have many friends.”

Sehun stared at Luhan. Luhan felt uncomfortable under his gaze. Was it over now? Did Sehun think he was a friendless loser?

“Ah, I understand. People can be a pain in the . Sometimes I hope I wasn’t friends with Jongin and Kyungsoo too. Those annoying gits.”

Luhan blinked and stared at Sehun in awe. Did Sehun really say what he think he heard?

“I...guess...”

Sehun laughed and patted Luhan on the back. Luhan almost yelped at the sudden touch, but he bit his lip in time to keep it in.

“So Luhan.” Sehun’s eyes were shining enthusiastically. “Why did you come here in the first place?”

Luhan sighed. This question was one he hoped to avoid.

“I..I just wanted some peace and quiet and this seemed like a perfect place.” He muttered, staring into space. “I don’t think you’d understand.”

Sehun grinned slightly and leaned back. “I think I understand you better than you think.”

Luhan stared at Sehun and Sehun stared back. They were just staring into each other’s eyes. Luhan was trying to understand him. What did Sehun know? If he did understand Luhan, why wasn’t he disgusted by now? Did he know that Luhan was actually a troubled boy?

“Oh, wow.” Sehun suddenly spoke up. Luhan raised his eyebrow.

“It’s getting really late. I think my mom will call the police if I go any later.” Sehun laughed. Luhan felt his heart sank. He had to go back to his own house. Awaiting him was a row of insults from his mother and probably a few punches and kicks from his father.

“It was nice getting to know you, Luhan.” Sehun smirked. Luhan rolled his eyes, the only thing he could do in a situation like this, and returned the smirk. “I told you to off 30 minutes ago, and now you’re going away?”

“You’re hurting my feelings.” Sehun fake sobbed and grasped his heart. Luhan laughed, this time his laugh sounded less forced. “Anyway, you talk like that, but I know you enjoyed my company too.”

“Sure thing, jerk.” Luhan retorted as he stood up beside Sehun. Sehun stuck out his tongue and Luhan brought up his leg once again.

“Yah!” Sehun yelled and stepped away. “Why must you be so mean?”

“Deal with it.” Luhan smiled for the last time. It was time to say bye. Bye to the only person that treated him like a human.

“Hey, Luhan.” Sehun spoke up. Luhan looked up at him. “Why don’t you come here tomorrow? The same time?”

“What?” Luhan asked, confused.

“Just come, okay?” Sehun spoke, leaning towards Luhan. “If you do, I’ll buy you some kimbap.””

“What are you talking abo-”

Before Luhan could finish, Sehun was off, waving bye before he was gone from Luhan’s sight. Luhan stood still, not believing what had just happened. He sighed and picked up his plastic bag and walked down stairs. He looked around, hoping to see Sehun, but was only greeted by the same flickering streetlights. He flung the paper bag over his shoulder and walked home, preparing himself mentally, emotionally, and physically for a sleepless night filled with screams and hits.