001

The Faller & The Catcher

There was only one tiny window in his room. But in the pitch black room, even the tiny window allowed some sunlight to enter, annoying a certain boy as he rolled over in his bed, glaring at the window with much hatred.

“ you, window.”

The curtains waved slightly, earning a frustrated groan from the boy as he jumped off his bed and slammed the window shut. He grabbed the curtains and threw it over the window, once again making the room empty of light. He sighed in relief as he walked over to his rocking chair, slumping down and bringing his knees to his chin. He closed his eyes and leaned back, enjoying the peace and quiet that filled up his room.

But of course, as always, the peace and quiet didn’t last.

Hey, you idiotic moron. How are you spending your worthless life? Sitting on a ing rocking chair?

Luhan fidgeted in his seat and frowned. He sat still, not daring to move, hoping that it would disappear.

You can’t ignore me, stupid. I’m you and you’re me. You can’t get rid of me.

“Shut up,” Luhan muttered and opened his eyes.

Oh, quite feisty today aren’t we? Trying to get away from your pathetic self? Well good luck, cuz’ it won’t work.

“No no no no no” Luhan pleaded and brought his hands up, covering his ears desperately. He shook his head violently, shaking the rocking chair with him. “Please...just...go away....”

You want me to go away? Hah! How desperate of you. Have I not told you before? You can’t get rid of me.

“Please.”

So pathetic. What can you do other than just sit there and do nothing all day? Even your own parents gave up on you. You are such a disgrace.

“I’m not! My parents love me and--”

“My parents love me?” You gotta be kidding me. You know well enough that your parents don’t give a about you. You’re nothing to them. Just a piece of trash that they’re supposed to take care of. Poor them, really. Who would want to see your ugly face everyday?

 

“Stop it!”

You’re so useless. And mentally ed up. No wonder you don’t have any friends. No one even wants to come near you. You know your nickname at school right? The haunted doll.

“I know, okay?! Now, please, just go away! I don’t want to hear it anymore!”

What reason do you have to live? You’d be so much better off being dead. It’d be also a help to society. No one will even notice that you’re dead. Not even your parents. Or maybe they would rejoice over your death. You’re obviously an unwanted person in their house.

“I-”

“Luhan?”

Luhan’s head snapped up as he looked at the door. It flung open and he saw his mother standing there, hands on her hips.

“Ugh, why is your room so dark? It smells like something died in here.”

“Sorry, mother.” Luhan lifted his sleeve and dried his eyes before his mother the light. The moment she flicked the light switch, he blinked rapidly and tried to cover his eyes under the intense bright light.

“Luhan.” His mother started. Luhan gulped under her icy glare. “Why don’t you make yourself useful and go to the convenient store and buy us some milk?”

Luhan winced slightly, hearing the word useless coming from his mother’s mouth, but he didn’t dare show it. He didn’t want to appear weak in front of his parents.

“Is that all?” Luhan asked, trying to sound cheerful, as he stood up and grabbed his jacket. “I’ll go buy some right now.”

“Of course you will.” His mother said sternly before going out, slamming the door shut behind her. Luhan just stood there, staring at the door, his heart shattered into million pieces.

“What am I doing.” Luhan muttered under his breath. “I’m so pathetic. I should be used to this by now.”

Luhan sighed as he wore his jacket and stuffed his wallet in his pocket. He turned off the light, enjoying the darkness, before stepping out of the house and walking down the dark alleyway. It was almost perfect, other than the flickering streetlights that were threatening to take away Luhan’s pleasure from the darkness.


Luhan knew it was pointless, but hoping that his glare would be effective, he stared at the street lights as he walked to the store. It was usually a very short walk, but today, it felt like years. He quickly paid for the milk and stepped out, ready to go home, when he saw a old rundown building across from him. He stared at it for awhile, gaping at the beauty of silence and darkness that filled the building. It seemed like nobody was there.

It was perfect for him.

Deciding that he would risk his mother’s harsh words for being late, he took a step closer to the building. He just couldn’t resist it. A place, empty of life, was exactly what he wanted. He stopped in front of the front door, looking at the rusty door knob and spider webs hanging from the sides.

Luhan loved it.

He opened the door, ignoring the loud screeching sound as the rusty door slid open, and took a step in. He coughed slightly at the amount of dust that greeted him, but just like he imagined, there were no sign of people.

He walked in and stared at the large marble floor that had absolutely nothing but stairs in the middle. He stood still, contemplating on what to do, before finally deciding on exploring as he began walking up the stairs. The walls were empty, other than the occasional spider webs or scratches, and Luhan found himself fascinated, a new feeling that he had never encountered before.

Luhan smiled a little, but he quickly wiped it off. It hurt too much to smile. It felt foreign, something that he had only done to please others. Something he had never genuinely done before.

He continued walking up, but the stairs didn’t seem to end. He was feeling more and more curious. Something was going to be at the end, and he wanted to find out.

After what seemed like hours of climbing, while in reality it was only a few minutes, Luhan finally stopped. The stairs ended abruptly, and in front of him was a rusty old door, one similar to the front door. He took a deep breath and grabbed the doorknob, grimacing as he saw that his hand had turned black because of the dust. He turned the doorknob slowly, opening the door.

When he flung open the door, there was nothing like what he had imagined. It was just a simple roof top, a gas tank in the middle and railings on the sides. The tiled floor was dirty like everywhere else in this building.

But there were no sign of people anywhere.

Luhan sighed in relief and walked towards the edge, gripping the dirty railing and leaning on it, making his sleeve become black as well. He looked around. His town was almost pure black, save for the flickering streetlights that had annoyed him earlier on. It was silent, only the wind blowing could be heard.

Luhan sighed in contempt as he leaned a little forward, enjoying the cool breeze against his cheeks. He was leaning further and further, closing his eyes as he took in every moment of this paradise. He was deep in thought, hoping that if he did die, it would be this very moment. He could escape from all the problems, leave the voices, leave the world, be happy for the first time in his life..........

It wasn’t long until he felt a hand around his arm. Luhan opened his eye and tensed up.

Someone was here.

The hand was firm. It gripped Luhan’s arm and pulled him forcefully, sending Luhan flying backwards. Luhan gasped and waited for the hard impact. It came, and Luhan groaned as he grabbed his arm, which was pale white from the lack of blood circulation. The hand’s grip was way too tight.

“What the hell are you doing?!”