Chapter 1: The Chased

Fight For Freedom

 

“Where did he ran to!?” a mixture of frantic voices was accompanied by impatient footsteps from a clear distance. A young man came out of his hideout behind a tree and dashed off deeper into the woods before the torchlights have any chance of catching his silhouette. He can feel his energy depleting with every single step he take, his legs giving way here and then, beads of sweat trickling down his forehead and stained his once dry tee wet.

Turning a bend on the right, the young man settled down behind a large rock that came in sight, breath uneven as he legs finally gave way, kissing the hard ground immediately. Catching his breath, he ears tried to pick up for any slight noises. His surroundings were abnormally silent, except for the random chirping of the crickets.  His doe eyes scanned around for any slight movements, but he caught nothing. Relaxing his tensed body, the young man slumped against the rock, eyes closed as he breathe in the cool crisp night air.

 

After restoring some of his energy, the young man stood up, dusting the dirt and fallen leaves off his pants. "Where should I go now?" the young man thought aloud. He suddenly remembered his best friend, Park Chan Yeol. Park Chan Yeol was always goofy, not to mention being on crack most of the times. He still have no idea how did they click in the first place, but neverthless, they still became the best of friends. The happy virus always shares whatever quirky information he knows with him, even though most of it are obviously bullcrap. 

"Do you know that by following the moon, you will definitely find your way out!!" 

Even though he doesn't believe in this, he had no choice left but to try it out. He looked up to see a full moon glowing brightly on the left of the empty sky. Shrugging his shoulders, he made his way towards the left, making sure to be as quiet as possible. 

 

The forest seems like an endless maze. Even after all the walking, the only thing he sees are nothing but rows of trees."Why did I believe in that crap…" shaking his head he decided to just follow his gut instincts. Now, he just wants to get out of this god damn forest and to the city. He'll then be able to escape from the evil clutches of his pursuers and the torture he had been suffering for the past year. If only Chan Yeol was with him right now, they would probably be bickering at how true this piece of information is. If only..

Thinking about his friend brought tears to his eyes. If only he was powerful enough to save his only friend. Using the back of his hand, he wiped away the stray tears that has streamed down his face. Composing himself, he headed straight, hoping that this will be the correct path to the city. He was physically and mentally fatigued from all these walking and the endless search for the exit is just depleting whatever energy he has left. Stumbling forward, he saw a faint silhouette of a small house. Thinking that it was his own imagination, he rubbed his eyes and looked towards the silhouette again. 

IT WAS STILL THERE.

The young man did a mental celebratory dance while jogging towards the house, almost falling on the ground when one of his legs gave way. He looked around cautiously, making sure the coast is clear before making his way towards the main door. Turning the door knob carefully, he heard a soft click as he opened the door. Slowly, he tried to feel his way around the way with the limited light from the moon, eyes nearly falling out of his sockets when he stepped on a rubber duckie. Kicking the rubber duckie away in annoyance, he ventured deeper into the house, finding two rooms at the back. Assuming that this is abandoned, he let out a breath of relief, trudging his way towards one of the rooms to recharge his body.

He felt giddy all of a sudden, legs giving way and fell face flat on the floor before blacking out.

 

A young brunette was prancing his way in the forest, hands holding onto a box of donuts while humming along to a song he got addicted to a few days ago.

"I'm walking on sunshine~ Woah oh~~" 

Stopping in front of the house, he was about to insert the key before realizing the door was half opened. "!" the brunette shouted before covering his mouth. Tip-toeing into his house, he clutched the box tightly in front of his chest, treating it as a shield. 

"MY DUCKIE!" He screamed when he saw his precious rubber duckie on the floor. His once cute duckie is now disfigured. Putting the box of donuts aside, he cupped his beloved duckie to his chest. "Whoever did this to you, WILL PAY!!!!!" the brunette is now on rage, stomping his way around the house to find the culprit. 

"UMF!" he tripped and landed on something warm. Looking down, he realized that he had landed on top of a body with its face kissing the floor. "HKAGSWHIDASBK!!!!!!!" the brunette shrieked at the top of his lungs, throwing his duckie at the figure's head before scrambling and crawling away from it. He took in a few deep breaths before turning around timidly to have a clear look at the figure. Mustering whatever courage he had, he flipped the figure around, exposing a porcelain face. He gasped, "Omo, so handsome….. wait what am I thinking?!". Snapping out of his thoughts, he held a finger under the young man's nose, checking out if he is still alive. "OH MY GOD, HE'S DEAD?!" he was about to lose his mind again when he suddenly remembered that the body was warm. He ed the young man's collar shirt, and was shocked to see some barcode tattooed on the chest. 

 

"He's an android."