By Chance

By Chance

 

I walked through the empty hall of the community center where my art class was held. No lights were on, but they soon twinkled once I walked towards the end of the hall. Arriving at the door labeled art room, I turned the handle. The handle turned all the way, but the door wouldn't push open. Great. One hour of sitting outside waiting for my teacher to come. I didn't want to lug my giant wood drawing board down the countless steps so I walked over right by the door and let myself slide against the wall towards the ground. I took my pencil pouch and foraged for my itouch and headphones. I took them both out and untangled the headphones. Stupid headphones. I put the earbuds into my ears and put my music onto shuffle and stared at the  wall. At one point, the weariness of school and finals must have gotten over me so I slept. I woke up to the sound of heavy footsteps against the old, patterned carpet and stood up awkwardly. I was hoping for my teacher to appear since it was already 3:45 and class started at 4:00, but it wasn't her. Instead, a really tall shape walked towards my direction so I pretended to fiddle with my itouch to not look strange. The person, most likely a guy considering the fact that only guys can clear their throats that loud, leaned toward the silver fountain by me. I then looked up from my itouch fiddling to look at him. He had dirty blond dyed hair and was pretty good looking. I quit looking and continued what I was doing before when he straightened up. 
" Are you taking art?" he nodded towards the art room. I nodded back to him in response and stared. He was not just beautiful, he was gorgeous.
His face was a little long and oval shaped, his lips were small and plump and his eyes had that piercing stare that can also be soothing. 
"Ah, I do basketball. In the gym down there." he pointed his pointer finger down to the ground to indicate what he meant. 
"Then why are you up here?" I asked curiously, tilting my head to the side.
He laughed. His laugh was also gorgeous. "Um, it might sound strange, but the fountains here have cold water unlike the ones downstairs." he scratched the back of his head with one hand and played with the button of the fountain with the other. He didn't look at me in the eyes.
Sensing the awkward atmosphere, I introduced myself. "I'm Janet by the way." I said slowly.
"Kris." He extended a long arm with a large hand attached to it. Although I thought I had man hands, his hands totally engulfed mine when I shook his hand. "You should stop by and watch me play basketball whenever you come early."
I heard footsteps once again so I took a step forward to see who is coming towards us. Only then did I notice his black basketball uniform. When I stepped forward, I think I leaned too far and started falling. Kris extended his arms quickly, catching me before I fell. I let out a little yelp. Great. He probably thinks I'm a clutz or did this on purpose. 
He laughed. "Clumsy," he scolded jokingly.
I pushed myself upright from his bare arms and straightened my clothes. 
"Sorry.. I heard someone coming and I bought it was my art teacher." I mumbled checking the hallway again. The person whose footsteps I heard was walking through the other hallway on the other end of the hallway Kris and I were in. 
I sighed. Where was my teacher? 
"Hey, I have to go practice. Coach will be mad that I stayed out for so long." the light in his eyes faded when he informed me.
"Okay, I'll stop by to see you practice on Monday, then?" I tried to lighten up the mood.
"Okay," his eyes lit up brighter than it did before. "I get out at 5:30. When do you?"
"Same." I replied.
"Then I don't have to wait until next week to see you again. I'll see you after, then." he flashed a giant smile before he turned around and disappeared into the hallway.
My teacher arrived and I got in. I wasn't paying attention at all, all I could think about was the time I had left to see him again.

By chance, my teacher came late and I waited outside the door.
By chance, he happened to be thirsty.
By chance, we were both at the same water fountain.
By chance, we met each other.
Some people may think that it was fate, but I choose to think of it that we met by chance.